1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do centenarians around the world eat?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Cocosilk, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I have a book and several articles written by a man born in 1820 in a small East Lancashire village. He was a social historian and prolific collector of family tit bits from around his village and surrounding areas. He wrote throughout his life. He was in his late 90's when he died (having recently married his much, much younger housekeeper). He mentions a few times that if one can pass the measles stage without mishap, and survive childbirth, one tends to live to a ripe old age.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I have passed both measles stages, mumps, and chickenpox, and I will never have to worry about surviving childbirth! So hopefully I will continue on enjoying life for awhile. Something to look forward to on my 68th birthday! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Just don't ever go hiking the Appalachian Trail without a snakebite kit in your backpack. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. tonybird

tonybird · Newbie

they eat whatever they want.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Deborah5832

Deborah5832 · Member

My mother is 92 and has broken every dietary/health rule in the book. Smoked like a chimney for 50 years, drank like a fish for decades, lived on fast food and junk food, never exercised a day in her life, was overweight and had untreated higher blood pressure for years. No diabetes, no liver or kidney or heart disease
    Oh I wish I had her genes. So much is the luck of the draw
    M

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

You do have her genes. :) Who knows, you may live to be 93 or more! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

I wonder if that holds true for those older folk who are surviving covid 19... Maybe they are also the ones who got through measles and childbirth too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

Makes me think we are all obsessing over diet unnecessarily because it seems there's a lot more that goes into who gets ill and why.
    I heard an interview with one centenarian talking about what her secret to old age might be and all she said was something along the lines of "I don't hold grudges. People have hurt me many times in life. I just let go and move on." She was eating spaghetti and meatballs during the interview so she probably doesn't have diabetes either.

9. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

soups, stews - all very popular for older people whose teeth are missing or dodgy

10. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

For semi-toothless old me, sausages and mince in various forms (burgers, meatballs) work well, most fish doesn't need a lot of serious chewing either, and chocolate is melt in the mouth, so no need for carby bread or porridge - ever!

My ancient mum's solution to any potential toothy problems was to have all her own teeth extracted :wacky::eek: when she was in her late 40s, and relied on dentures for the next 40+ years....

11. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My aunt, who lived to 93, was slim and active, was persnickety-fussy about everything she ate; my husband’s s aunt, who lived to 92, was plump and did very little exercise, ate anything and everything she wanted. I still reckon it’s telomere length and genes, accidents and misadventures plus geographical and historical chances that affect lifespan.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Antechinus

Antechinus Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

It's the amount of carbs that you eat, how frequently you eat them throughout the day, and if you mix them with fats. Factor in your genetics and sooner or later hyperinsulinemia wins out and hyperglycemia ensues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Most people, regardless of their carb intake, do not become type 2 diabetics. For the majority of people carbs are not harmful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Check out America with 88% of adults metabolically unhealthy?

15. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's a rather broad sweeping absolute statement. I can't say I'd agree with it.

16. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How is this "metabolically unhealthy" defined?

17. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Yup there is a genetic lottery. It looks from the anecdotes that it is a small minority that can eat, drink, smoke, be overweight etc and have a long lifespan, maybe some of the 12% by US figures who are metabolically healthy in a sea of sewage (my opinion of SAD eating).

For the rest of us it might be prudent to not rely on luck and stack the cards more in our own favour.

Healthspan I feel is as important as lifespan I.e. being vibrant and active aka Norman Wisdom, Bruce Forsyth - note their physical performance levels in later life.

I would prefer to live to 85 walking in Wales, and drop dead, on no pills, walking aids, in and out of Doctors / hospitals, than 90 with the last 20 years vice versa.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bulkbiker

19. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If 6% of the UK population have diabetes that means 94%, presumably most of whom eat carbs, do not - a big majority as @lucylocket61 says.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. bulkbiker

Yet?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook