1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do you eat for Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by DazG, Aug 20, 2010.

1. rosgrech

rosgrech Type 2 · Active Member

And here's me thinking Tesco was a cheap supermarket - I can get Lizzi's Granola in the little health food shop in my local small town for £2.99. And it's absolutely lush! :D

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

A 40g bowl of all bran with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds together with a splash of milk and 3 tablespoons of low-fat natural yogurt, or a boiled egg with 2 slices of toasted burgen bread with marmite on............delicious! :D

Nigel

3. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

I'm a joghurt breakfaster :) I have a Total 2% Greek joghurt with cream on top 8) This joghurt contains 6.5g carbs and 3.4g fat. Add a little bit of both for the cream (not much as there is not much spare room in the pot!). For some it's a pretty small breakfast but that and several coffees (again with cream) is all I can face in the mornings. I am not starving by lunch-time however.

5. britness

britness · Member

I wish I could offer advice but I need advice! Breakfast is so difficult for me, I can't really face anything at all except a cup of tea - so when I was told diabetics NEED breakfast, I just panicked. I have to force myself to eat a few crackers or something just to get the first dose of Metformin down for the day, then I eat a leafy green salad at an early lunch, around 1130am, with raw veg and a protein, that is more "breakfast" because it's a more established meal but I can't face anything earlier in the morning.

6. Ardbeg

Ardbeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm on day 3 of my giving up coffee pledge.

Instead I'm drinking hot water with either lime or lemon juice added.

As well as a detox it's supposed to aid weight loss too.

We shall see............

Sorry in case anyone thinks I'm going off topic. It's just that I used to drink two very strong coffees every morning before I could do anything.

7. Wullie

Wullie · Active Member

Switching from lo-sugar to lo-carb cereals. Sometimes I stay at places where boxed cereals are the only options. Bran Flakes, right?

I've been looking at healthy muselis - Dorset, for example. Guess those are a no-no?

Also partial to MullerLight yoghurts. But the sugar.. :?

8. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Confusing yes, I'm pre-diabetic but the menu of choices does not include pre-diabetes. I've changed it to Type 2 but that is not right either.

9. adrian29459

adrian29459 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had loads of different breakfast cereals over the years. I tend to find most the granola cereal are full of sugars both in the oat clusters and various fruit (sultanas, raisins & banana) and cause my blood sugars to rise high. If I have higher blood sugars I stick to the light lower carb cereals. Quaker oat crisp, weetabix crunchy bran and rich crispies multigrain are good. If I'm a little lower in the morning or maybe I do more insulin, I have a higher carb cereal like shreddies or honey nut shredded wheat. I also like cereal for supper and sometimes have a small bowl of quaker oat crisp.

10. jane22

jane22 · Well-Known Member

I have ditched cereal as I found it sent BG a bit high and didn't really keep me full. I usually have some kind of egg, just the one either scrambled, poached, boiled or as an omette with a grilled tomato. I have one slice of bread with it either Burgen or an oatmeal bread. I have gone off regular tea and coffee so have ginger and lemon tea and a large glass of water. I take Byetta and sometimes feel a bit sick and then the egg sits too heavily so then I have low fat plain yogurt with some berries. Raspberries are my favourites but I have a load of blackberries ripening in the garden so will be trying those soon.

11. dardaydave

dardaydave · Newbie

My breakfast during the working day is a cup of coffee. When i feel hungry ( anytime between 11.00am and 15.00pm) i'll have something to eat. Yes, my wife nags me about " you should eat more regularly" but i'm not a three or four meals a day person.

12. gefmayhem

gefmayhem · Well-Known Member

During the week its 3 baby bels and 1 oatcake - all while sitting in traffic queues
    Weekend, bacon and eggs

13. ArumLily

ArumLily · Newbie

Every morning for the last 6 months I have eaten for breakfast the following meal:
    * 1 cupful of Alpen
    * half a cupful of Quaker rolled oats
    * half a cupful of FORCE wheatflakes, OR if cannot get Force, then one Weetabix
    * All mixed together in a cereal bowl, with about half a pint of semi-skimmed milk
    * Topped with a dessertspoonful of SPLENDA
    * Cup of tea immediately after this.
    Invariably, when I test my blood sugar 2 and a quarter hours after this breakfast, it is 5.3.
    I really enjoy this breakfast, and it is more than I used to eat in 2009 before I was diagnosed with Type 2.
    * I do not take any diabetes medicine but I do take one capsule of Gymnema Sylvestre and one capsule of COQ10-Uniquinol every day with my breakfast cup of tea.
    First HBA1C was 6.9. Latest was 6.4. I am hoping to get this down to 6 or under next time.

14. Juli

Juli · Member

Like a lot of other people here, if not hungry it'll be three or four mugs of cafe with cream. Otherwise I'll have a cheese muffin. Here's the recipe, I found it on a now defunct low carb Oz site:
    Mix together:
    half cup soy flour
    3 eggs
    salt
    3 tbsp cream
    3 tbsp sour cream
    handful grated cheese
    chop up some salami - three or four circles
    Place in muffin tray and cook at 200 celsius for about 20 minutes.

Makes about 12.

Carb content between 3 and 6g per muffin.
    They are very yummy!

15. Juli

Juli · Member

Forgot to add 2tsp baking powder to above cheese muffin recipe. Just made another batch and realised!
    Sorry if anyone's made them already and they went flat...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook