What do you eat on holiday?

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just back from a week self catering. We used to take butties, pies, scotch eggs, tinned goods for teas and baked potatoes, now all that has gone out of the window!! Made some cauli and courgette chick pea flour baked bhaji type things and they went off in the car :-( Also took some Heck 97% pork sausages cut into 1/4s any suggestions for next time please?

Reactions: Freema

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh, and of course hummus - he always claimed not to like that till last year!

Reactions: Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer self catering hols too. So much more control over menus.
I take a cool box with milk, full fat yogurt, cheese, and whatever else is in the fridge that won't keep.
En route find a farm shop, with butcher and stock up with enough meat for a couple of meals, bacon, sausages, eggs and veg.
At destination, (make sure there is a decent size fridge, bonus if there is also a freezer), find supermarket, or have delivery, stock up with cream, butter, peanut butter, salad veg. Beers for Mr Pipp. Usually have big breakfast late in the morning, full English, then don't feel hungry until evening. Alternatively have yogurt and take picnic of small individually wrapped cheeses, celery sticks with peanut butter to dip, small sausages or pieces of chicken in a coolbag.
Better still, find a pub serving decent grub. Don't like to have to cook much on hols.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Pipp, sorry, I forgot we also had the Aldi/Lidl little cheeses :)

Reactions: mo53

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We have 6 self catering weeks every year, in different places round the UK. We've done this for 9 or 10 years now.
We take vacuum packed bacon, Black Farmers sausages for me and Lincoln for Mr. Blue, eggs, tomatoes, cherry toms, mushrooms, fresh steaks for one meal, condiments, butter, cheese, yogurt, various things for Mr. Blue, wine boxes, tins of salmon for my picnics, mayonnaise, pickled onions, plenty of Lidl HP rolls (essential), tea, coffee, and lots else.
If travelling a long way we stop off en route for frozen veg and berries, otherwise we take them in a cool bag. We always use Google for supermarkets, butchers and so forth near the cottage so we can replenish our stocks.

breakfast for me is just my coffee and cream. Mr. Blue has other things.
Picnics every lunch time with maybe one or two lunches in a dog friendly pub or cafe.
Meal in the cottage in the evening, but always easy to cook quick ones. No slaving over a hot stove.

Reactions: Pipp

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of our holidays are taken in our campervan, so eating exactly the way we want to is no problem. In my experience all countries have meat and veg, which works for me low carbing.

Our last 2 holidays have been in Italy & Germany. You might think it'd be hard to avoid pasta in Italy, but they do fabulous meat & seafood dishes in restaurants, and their markets are full of lovely fresh produce. In Germany they excelled at huge chunks of meat and high meat content sausages, and I love sauerkraut!

Reactions: covknit and Pipp

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks a lot! I do a lot of 'pots' at home with barley and seaweed covered in tinned mackerel with cucumber and onion and chinese flavourings, bit like rice free sushi.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We go self catering too.

We arrange a supermarket delivery for the day we arrive, including all necessities like milk, teabags, etc. and the makings for 6 breakfasts and around 4 evening meals. About the only things we take with us are cooking oil, dogfood, salt, pepper and my Emergency Choc Stash (in case of motorway breakdown trauma ;) )

Then we eat out for the lunches while out and about, and home most evenings. Sometimes we have eaten so much at lunch that we don't need anything in the evenings, and we probably have one takeaway during the hol.

Everything is low carb, from the lunches out, to the takeaway - I just choose items that are low carb and gluten free

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We go self catering too.

We arrange a supermarket delivery for the day we arrive, including all necessities like milk, teabags, etc. and the makings for 6 breakfasts and around 4 evening meals. About the only things we take with us are cooking oil, dogfood, salt, pepper and my Emergency Choc Stash (in case of motorway breakdown trauma ;) )

Then we eat out for the lunches while out and about, and home most evenings. Sometimes we have eaten so much at lunch that we don't need anything in the evenings, and we probably have one takeaway during the hol.

Everything is low carb, from the lunches out, to the takeaway - I just choose items that are low carb and gluten free
What sort of low card takeaways do you get please?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of low card takeaways do you get please?

Mainly curries.
I am happy to eat any of the following, since they are usually low carb.
Shashlik
chicken tikka
butter chicken
saag paneer
brinjal bhaji
Those are my favourites, but the menus usually give plenty of guidance, so it is easy to avoid any of the sweet, fruity, creamy type dishes, because they are often sweetened. No one has ever even blinked when I say 'no' to rice, poppadoms, naans, or potato dishes.

Mr B loves Chinese, which is slightly more difficult, because of the sauces, but if it is a good place (the type that cooks fresh and costs a bit more), I can have ribs, stir fry veg and avoid the rice, noodles and battered items and do OK.

We sometimes have kebabs too - and that is even easier. I just choose a chicken kebab with salad, no bread, no chips, and have a side of veg. Our local place does the most divine devilled mushrooms which are basically just sliced mushroom in a garlic, cream and tomato sauce.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Still a newbie and not got the caravan out yet for this year so this is very useful thread. Thank you for starting it. We have just gone the grilled meat with cauli cheese route so far. Added greens of course. Omelette for breakfast for me. I take a list of OK for me dishes from the Wetherspoons online nutrition menu (will add the M&b sizzlers in future). We also did an on line search of the visitors guide to places. They include local shops so we found a fantastic sausage shop in Clitheroe. With the benefit of hindsight and with what I know now we probably would not risk it again but no harm researching, just in case. Lunches are a nightmare. I generally seem to be near or on a a train o something oily. Catering in those places tends to leave a lot to be desired without the challenges of dietary concerns. Most days I need something that fits in a pocket or the drink holder so it was cooked sausage or cold meat with cheese. I still cannot think of anything better due to the risk of crush so I am going to propose at least one splendid picnic a week for variety. Fortunately I have never been far from a lidl so have not had to relive some of my more nightmare catering moments.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@covknit That sausage shop must be Cowmans?

I live in Clitheroe!
And very tasty sausage it was. Clitheroe is a lovely place. The site gave us a challenge though. The one opposite the leisure centre. We drove past it, what a nightmare. Adored Booth's but the prices were something else.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And very tasty sausage it was. Clitheroe is a lovely place. The site gave us a challenge though. The one opposite the leisure centre. We drove past it, what a nightmare. Adored Booth's but the prices were something else.

We pass the site every day on our dog walks down the access lane to the river. Booths is where we mainly shop, and yes, it is expensive for some items, but a lovely shop. We go elsewhere for the outrageously priced stuff! We have lived here over 40 years.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live not far from Clitheroe we go to Booths for pate (husband likes this better than any other ) We also go to Byrne's wine shop which is an education in itself ! It also has a lidl for high protein rolls
CAROL

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I live not far from Clitheroe we go to Booths for pate (husband likes this better than any other ) We also go to Byrne's wine shop which is an education in itself ! It also has a lidl for high protein rolls
CAROL

So it's you that steals all the HP rolls before I get there!!!!! :):banghead:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not guilty !!!We don't go every week ,I get rolls at Accrington lidl as well
CAROL

Reactions: Bluetit1802

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mainly curries.
I am happy to eat any of the following, since they are usually low carb.
Shashlik
chicken tikka
butter chicken
saag paneer
brinjal bhaji
Those are my favourites, but the menus usually give plenty of guidance, so it is easy to avoid any of the sweet, fruity, creamy type dishes, because they are often sweetened. No one has ever even blinked when I say 'no' to rice, poppadoms, naans, or potato dishes.

Mr B loves Chinese, which is slightly more difficult, because of the sauces, but if it is a good place (the type that cooks fresh and costs a bit more), I can have ribs, stir fry veg and avoid the rice, noodles and battered items and do OK.

We sometimes have kebabs too - and that is even easier. I just choose a chicken kebab with salad, no bread, no chips, and have a side of veg. Our local place does the most divine devilled mushrooms which are basically just sliced mushroom in a garlic, cream and tomato sauce.
thanks again