What do you eat to get out of hypos and to stay level

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
7 dolly mixtures if above 3.
10 if below (at night)

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive tryed chocolate to raise my blood it always made me feel like my blood had dropped more + i got headache so went oldskool lucozade + sarnie like ive already put, has anyone tryed red bull ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mode...
Cream crackers wont act very quickly to recover from hypo's... Is this all you eat? Cream crackers for me, normally take at least an hour before my levels go up if I eat them without a bolus. I know some people eat them before going to bed to keep them more stable at night.. But dsns are normally adamant about having jelly babies or lucozade.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a few jelly babies / fruit pastels or other sweets I have as a reserve, if out and about carry some of the fruited snack type biscuit type bars (3 in a pack).

A

Anonymous

I have crackers then gluco tab or gluco juice. I use to get a lot of night time hypos. I'm so use to having crackers before bed. During a hypo my mind I think associates hypos with crackers. Ironic thing is I do have a 600 piece box of jelly babies and lucozade in the house for just those occasions.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So not just creamcrackrs... That got me worried....

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed, and no hypos so far, but on my current regime I've been bumping along close to 4 and dropped down to just below a few times so had to correct for driving. Havent used them yet, but I'm carrying mini packets of haribos just in case.

My favourites to keep me level and stop me dropping (which have carried over from my pre-diabetes days) include 9-bars and NAKD or TREK bars.

The 9-bars are seeds held together in honey/cane sugar syrup. The NAKD bars are either dates/raisins/nuts and natural flavourings or the same but with added oats and/or proteins. I find they have soem quick action but also a good slow release as well. ALways found them good on the bike and while running, you can break a bit off and put the rest back in your pocket.

website here www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk

I buy them by the case, cheaper, no P&P

A

Anonymous

ElyDave said:
Newly diagnosed, and no hypos so far, but on my current regime I've been bumping along close to 4 and dropped down to just below a few times so had to correct for driving. Havent used them yet, but I'm carrying mini packets of haribos just in case.

My favourites to keep me level and stop me dropping (which have carried over from my pre-diabetes days) include 9-bars and NAKD or TREK bars.

The 9-bars are seeds held together in honey/cane sugar syrup. The NAKD bars are either dates/raisins/nuts and natural flavourings or the same but with added oats and/or proteins. I find they have soem quick action but also a good slow release as well. ALways found them good on the bike and while running, you can break a bit off and put the rest back in your pocket.

website here http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk

I buy them by the case, cheaper, no P&P

You sound like a very sensible and responsible person. who is very much in control of your condition. The haribous MUST be Tangfastics, of course!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Gezza,

I'm a newly diagnosed T1, 39yo, 65kg, competetive amateur athlete at local level and reasonably successful endurance runner, so I've been paying attention to my diet for years from a point of view of how it affects my performance.

The diabetes is a bit of a spanner in the works but as far as I'm concerned it's just a matter of taking a step back and understanding the relationships between food, training and my newly found external insulin. It'll take a while but I'll get there.

Cheers,

Dave

A

Anonymous

ElyDave said:
Thanks Gezza,

I'm a newly diagnosed T1, 39yo, 65kg, competetive amateur athlete at local level and reasonably successful endurance runner, so I've been paying attention to my diet for years from a point of view of how it affects my performance.

The diabetes is a bit of a spanner in the works but as far as I'm concerned it's just a matter of taking a step back and understanding the relationships between food, training and my newly found external insulin. It'll take a while but I'll get there.

Cheers,

Dave

Good on you! Maybe I should listen a bit more to my son who is a Fitness Instructor for Nuffield Group (ex. Loughborough) who keeps harping on about the 'whole picture', calories etc....blah blah. What's the 'external' insulin exactly?

iHs

I use whatever I can afford to buy that will raise my bg levels up fairly quickly.

Could be jellybabies if they are going on special offer in supermarkets, or other type of solid jelly sweet that ideally will have a liquid centre. Sometimes, dollymixtures as they are easy to eat and stay solid in all weather temps. I always make sure that Ive got something in my bag or coat pockets when going out. Liquid wise.... 2 or 3 tsp of sugar in a cup of tea or 4 swigs of full sugar lemonade. I tend to put lemonade in an empty Lucozade Sport bottle and then don't have to wrestle with trying to unscrew the cap... just flip up the lid. Lucozade is too expensive..

A

Anonymous

iHs said:
I use whatever I can afford to buy that will raise my bg levels up fairly quickly.

Could be jellybabies if they are going on special offer in supermarkets, or other type of solid jelly sweet that ideally will have a liquid centre. Sometimes, dollymixtures as they are easy to eat and stay solid in all weather temps. I always make sure that Ive got something in my bag or coat pockets when going out. Liquid wise.... 2 or 3 tsp of sugar in a cup of tea or 4 swigs of full sugar lemonade. I tend to put lemonade in an empty Lucozade Sport bottle and then don't have to wrestle with trying to unscrew the cap... just flip up the lid. Lucozade is too expensive..

You sound like a 'Dolly Mixture' consultant! :think: When you eat Jelly Babies, how do you eat them? Do you bite the heads off first?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gezzathorpe said:
ElyDave said:
Thanks Gezza,

Cheers,

Dave

Good on you! Maybe I should listen a bit more to my son who is a Fitness Instructor for Nuffield Group (ex. Loughborough) who keeps harping on about the 'whole picture', calories etc....blah blah. What's the 'external' insulin exactly?

External insulin = twice daily Levemir and three times daily novorapid injections.

As for jelly babies, I always go feet first so you can watch the expression on their faces :twisted:

iHs

When I eat jellybabies, I don't care how I go about eating them... head first or feet first..... they go in whole.
The good thing about jellybabies is that eating 2 or 3 together is enough to deal with a hypo and you don't really want to over indulge. The same with dollymixtures as too many of them starts to be sickly although they are small enough to be gobbled fairly quickly. I did wonder what I could use to store jellybabies in and saw something at a carboot...... it was a very small plastic hinge lid plastic float box from a fishing tackle stall. Ive since seen small hinge lid cigarette tins (for roll ups) being sold in the 99p shops that would be ideal for keeping jellybabies in. Some of them come with nice designs on the lids.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .
I stuff 4-5 jelly babies in any which way they may land in my mouth or
it is 4-5 dextrose [blackcurrant flavour only] my favourite flavour .

If this doesn't do it fast enough then I glug a quarted/half portion of sports bottle size lucozade !

Check my BG levels when stopped feeling shaky and if only raised a little I follow up with something carby .
Like 4 small buttered crackers or slice of toast .

This always seems to work with me :thumbup:

I then stay steady and level successfully :)

Anna .

Ausra

when you are hypo you need something that will make your levels rise as soon as possible. I find the feeling of hypo really uncomfortable and also i feel i could eat everything that i have so to avoid overeating and becoming normal as soon as possible i have orange juice 200-300ml. Coke, lucozade, jellybabies, glucotabs all work very well too. You need 20-30g of quick acting carbs.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Claire2332 said:
I keep a red bull in my fridge for hypos or a bag of skittles they work fast

My hubby got a red bull drink into me , during a holiday in france .
We had done a 'lot' of walking about and I hadn't eaten for ages .
Started to crash fast during a hypo so he quick thinkingly got a red bull drink down me.
It did the trick 'quick' and I felt tons better for it - remained a bit high afterwards but it was
soon walked off again "shopping for handbags" :lol:

Anna .

nmb264

Fruit pastiles! Or a carton of Ribena or a Capri-sun as I get the 200ml to raise me just the right amount

I but the supermarket brand if fruit pastiles in the bag as they are softer and easier to eat than the popular brand