What do you guys eat?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks a lot for all the responses and advice. I watched a lot of the videos from the diet doctor as well as read all the articles at http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/. Some of the articles there were kind of daunting, but it's good to have the information. It's also good to see that there's hope for becoming normal again.

I'm starting to understand a lot more about everything. There's one thing I'm really wondering about. Lemons are my favorite fruit, and according to google they have 5g carbs and 1.4g of sugar in an entire lemon. What do you guys think about that?

Hi,
As somebody who has to test almost everything they eat, and because I have to eat low carb, I find the whole thing very interesting the number of newbies who question the whys, when, what's and how's!
You, alone have to decide what you eat and the recommendations given are absolutely right that you need to test and experiment on yourself on what food and drink do to you and how you find out how to control the diabetes.
It's not easy going against every thing that you have been told about food and having problems with other things, you need to change your lifestyle to do this.
Eating low carb and exercise is the way to a healthy future.
It's how much you have to reduce your carbs and sugars to do this!

I love fruit!
The only way I find that I can eat it, is by having small pieces throughout the day. You don't have to eat a whole apple or lemon in your case in one go!

I have my berries with full fat plain yoghurt, that slows digestion down. And fills me up for hours.

You need to eat to your meter.

Today I've had a fry up for breakfast
Half an Apple mid morning
Ham salad sandwich 1slice Bergen bread.
Mid afternoon tangerine (small) two tablespoons of yoghurt.
Fish salad for tea
Berries and yoghurt with a couple of pieces of dark chocolate later for supper.

That doesn't sound so bad does it!

There will be some who have already posted. That couldn't eat all that fruit!
We are all different!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Bowel movements? It is well documented that having fibre rich foods slow down the possibility of spiking. IMO some of the things that you are recommending seem to on the extreme end of the advice range? Regarding vitamins it is perfectly reasonable to take them especially if someone likes a lot of red wine? Zero carbs isn't for everybody?
Fibre isn't necessary for bowel movements - do you think Inuit never had bowel movements? I don't eat any fibre and I have very regular bowel movements. If you are eating a low carb diet, you don't need to worry about spiking. It is not perfectly reasonable to consume vitamin pills if you don't have a vitamin deficiency. It is pointless and possibly bad for your health. I also wouldn't recommend lots of red wine. I never recommended zero carb for everybody, but it works for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In general food that has the fewer grams of carbs per 100 grams weight is better, and any sugar content is (in the UK anyway) is included in as part of that carbs total. So lemons will be fine unless you are going to eat large quantities of them at one time! You can weigh one to find the actual weight and work out the actual carb value, and use that as an average lemon guide when working out your daily carbs.

Robbity

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks a lot for all the responses and advice. I watched a lot of the videos from the diet doctor as well as read all the articles at http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/. Some of the articles there were kind of daunting, but it's good to have the information. It's also good to see that there's hope for becoming normal again.

I'm starting to understand a lot more about everything. There's one thing I'm really wondering about. Lemons are my favorite fruit, and according to google they have 5g carbs and 1.4g of sugar in an entire lemon. What do you guys think about that?

I like lemon flavour, and lemon as an ingredient, but I can't think I've ever eaten one. How do you have them?

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have hot water with a squeeze of lemon almost every day, and it doesn't spike me (it's always alongside a full meal, though). One lemon lasts me 3-4 days this way, and I also use it in cooking (marinate meat, for example)

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a chia pudding fairly recently.

Rough quantities, adjust to taste
Juice of 1-2 lemons
300 mls water
Erythritol to taste
8 tablespoons chia seeds

Stir all together and wait several hours for chia seeds to gloop up.
Delish. Serves about 4-6 portions. Good with cream.

Both chia and lemon have minimal effect on my blood glucose, in reasonable quantities.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaskot

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like lemon flavour, and lemon as an ingredient, but I can't think I've ever eaten one. How do you have them?

Honestly? I slice them in quarters, peel it like an orange and eat it lol. My girlfriend thinks I'm weird for it, but I love it. I also find that it helps me drink more water as I drink about 40oz of water with my lemons.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly? I slice them in quarters, peel it like an orange and eat it lol. My girlfriend thinks I'm weird for it, but I love it. I also find that it helps me drink more water as I drink about 40oz of water with my lemons.

I've had many, many in sparkling water and other drinks, but I wouldn't consider eating one like an orange. Aside from anything else I would have concerns about the acidity, and it's impact on my teeth.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Half a lime crushed into 500 mls cold water is just the dab.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that frozen ones tend to go all squishy-squashy when defrosted, and they definitely spike me more than fresh ones. I do keep a supply of frozen for emergencies but have less of them to compensate. I do recall someone else agreeing with this a long time ago on the forum somewhere.
I only use frozen berries with yoghurt so I cook them in the microwave until they are soft and then puree them. Once cold they go into the botom of a long glass with Yoghurt in the middle and milled flax seed on top - tastes lovely and healthy too!!

Reactions: 2 people

Jaskot

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of berries guys? It seems blueberries and blackberries have the highest sugar/carb content.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of berries guys? It seems blueberries and blackberries have the highest sugar/carb content.

Yes, they do, so if you chose to have blackberries or blueberries simply have less of them. Raspberries have the least carbs, followed by strawberries. I chop and change, sometimes one variety, sometimes mixed together, but my portion sizes are small, whichever I have.

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like a pink grapefruit,it does not spike me at all.
I also noticed when you peel and split it,the juice is not sticky on your hands, unlike oranges tangerine / satsumas

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
When I was pregnant with my daughter my craving was lemons and Bramley apples. I would have two lemons during the day, eaten like oranges, the bramley was for the evening. I didn't dare go near mint sauce ooo the temptation would be too big. I had a healthy baby, I am over 70 now & still have my own teeth minus 3 but I couldn't eat a lemon now :eek: but....
I do occasionally cook a chicken breast in butter and just before removing from the pan, pour the juice from half a lemon over it then tip the lot onto my plate, quickie lemon chicken yum

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Diagnosed as in between T1 and T2 diabetic in October 2014, and am on HumulinM3 twice daily injections (12 units (am) and 11 (pm)). I found this really enlightening information as I have never really learned what is "acceptable" amount of carbs to have per meal. Think I'm going about things wrong as I have been eating bran flakes with 1/4 banana each morning, plus 2 slice soya/linseed toasted bread and cup of Mocha. Lunch is Belvita biscuit (when I'm working) or Almond organic with chopped strawberries when idling and tea is typically brown basmati rice (level tablespoon) broccoli, spring onion pieces of pineapple, and one slice chicken, or corned beef, or savoury duck if it's not tinned mackerel, tuna or salmon. My pudding has to be diabetic ice-cream, blueberries or 1/4 pear, no added sugar jelly and one belvita bar broken up (followed by a Mocha).

Does this seem an awful lot per sitting.

I drink tons of black coffee and water throughout the day, and my work requires 4 hours er morning active cleaning work so I find I need to "build up" my glucose levels to sustain me through the morning after my insulin intake, but as the day wears on and I get less active I eat less reluctantly. My readings have dropped immensely by around 3 hours after finishing eating. I currently have risen in weight to 7stone (I'm 5ft 4").