searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Im interested to know what people miss most (if anything) since being diagnosed diabetic... Doesn't have to be food related but can be..

for me, the thing i miss most is just being able to walk out the front door. no real plan on what im doing or where im going... or even if i will return that day..

obviously now i have to plan.. and make sure i have stuff i need (more so since pump)..... and my second most missed is a food item.. Kung Po Chicken and Fried rice...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have wracked my brain on this one, @searley , and can’t think of anything I miss.
Perhaps it is because it has been 16 years since diagnosis for me, and life is very different for me now, in a positive way.
Though I am not missing the awful sluggish feeling of uncontrolled blood glucose levels.

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't bother going backwards. You are where you are. Accept that your life will be different from those around you. Try and enjoy things that others around you take for granted. Feel the the guilt from eating things you have been told you shouldn't eat. It's not an easy process but be grateful you are still here. Believe that medicine is magical and magical is ordinary. If your psyche can deal with it then you will be ok.

[Mod radio edit.]

Last edited:

Gafspa

I too miss just walking out the door and not having to remember to restock my hypo stash as kids have eaten them again!

And not a particular food just that feeling of eating without thinking about it... that reaction of ‘I fancy that...’ and eat.
That can’t happen anymore.

And I understand previous comment about accepting but we have to go through a grief process before we get to that stage as we have lost a lot.

I’m grateful every single day day that I was diagnosed at 42 and that I had so many carefree days, pregnancies and drunken nights out!

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I think I miss the feeling of being at a music festival and being lost in the moment, t1 always seems to ground me, it doesn't stop me from going to festivals but I always have it in the back of mind. I also agree with @Gafspa that when I was diagnosed aged 39 that i'd already had lots of fun in my time so grateful that's i've had those experiences. On the plus side it gave me a boot up the backside to get exercising more and that's mentally liberating as I don't seem to think about it when I am out running that much..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I accept my condition fully and in fact I was the one beating on the GP’s desk saying I was diabetic..

So if expected it for a long time as it runs in the family

Does it upset or bother me.. no not really

And it’s easier since I’ve had a pump (about 8 months now)

But life is still different and not as easy in some cases

But sometimes I pop into my mums in the way home from work and she asks if I want to walk the dog with her.. and it’s not as simple as a yes or no

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1620904780466.jpg