Type 2 What do you put in your sharps box???

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is probably a very silly question, but I’m curious so going to ask anyway.

What do you put in your sharps box?

Currently, I only put my needles & test strips, and finished insulin pens in mine.

However, I’m debating if I could also put in, my test strip wrappers, along with the wipes I use on my fingers before testing.
Obviously, I’m wondering this because the items in question are still medical waste.

Thanks in advance for you replies.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I share our sharps box with our diabetic cat... I only toss in my lancets and his insulin needles. The rest I just toss away...

Reactions: WuTwo and Libby3781

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only lancets and needles. Not the test strips or the empty pens, they're not sharp.
Blood on not sharp object isn't a problem, or they would have to start handing out sharps bins to every girl when they reach puberty.

D

Deleted Account

I only put sharp things in my sharps box.
So only lancets and needles.
Pens, test strips, wrappers, etc, can go straight in the bin.

My partner also puts his safety razors in my box.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve recently started self funding the I-Port advance. So once I’ve changed them, I’ll be putting them in my sharps box...as they have a needle at the end.

I also have a pen with a 6 lancet needle in it, so they will be going in too.

Attachments

• 154807E3-F67C-4CD2-AD9F-B215567BD0C0.jpeg
    154807E3-F67C-4CD2-AD9F-B215567BD0C0.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 193

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I put lancets, test strips and the little squares of kitchen paper for mopping up any spare blood in my sharps box.
No need for anything but the lancets, but it is a tidy way to do things; everything used in a test goes straight into the box.

Reactions: Libby3781

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Being as I have finger wipes that absorb my blood, and my test strips all come individually wrapped.

I feel they should go in the sharps box because of the nature of what they are. Household waste doesn’t seem appropriate to me for them.

Attachments

• 9D8AA621-B4BE-4D65-90BA-C9E939A6073B.jpeg
    9D8AA621-B4BE-4D65-90BA-C9E939A6073B.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 194

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just needles go in mine. The test strips etc. just go in the normal rubbish. If dried blood was going to cause a problem then any raw meat waste would not be allowed in general rubbish

Reactions: Libby3781

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Being as I have finger wipes that absorb my blood, and my test strips all come individually wrapped.

I feel they should go in the sharps box because of the nature of what they are. Household waste doesn’t seem appropriate to me for them.
Just sharps. Just because it has some blood on it, doesn’t mean it goes in as well. It costs a lot of money to dispose of these bins, we should just use them for what they’re intended. After all, you don’t put sanitary towels or used plasters in a sharps bin...

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what we have in Canada... Hope I have uploaded correctly...

Attachments

• 20190620_090333[1].jpg
    20190620_090333[1].jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 187

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

These don't need to go in a sharps bin, only sharp things need to go in it such as the needles and lancets. Test strips, wipes with blood on, etc all go in the normal bin. Non diabetics don't go getting sharps bins to put used plasters or tampons in, they just go in the normal bin, dont see why your wipes are any different.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use old fashioned double edged razor blades they go in there too.