What does being in remission mean.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often read about 'being in remission' or having reversed their diabetes. It appears to me that it's a bit like finding the holy grail this striving to be in remission.

What I'd like to know is why is it so important to forum members to be 'in remission'.
What benefits are people hoping to get?
For those who have done it how has it changed their lives to be 'in remission'.

Reactions: Guzzler

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No meds for diabetes so diet and exercise only to manage diabetes and find BG levels in none diabetic range on a hba1c blood test.

Personally I feel 3 hba1cs at none diabetic range is more useful.
Some claim they can eat normally and still normal bgs. But for how long if they revert back to high carb diet?

Reactions: woodywhippet61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a starting point, i would like some definitions and clarification of what is generally meant by 'remission' as it appears to mean different things to different people, even in this forum.

When i think of 'remission' I think of blood sugar levels as having been reduced to normal levels consistently, and not continuing to progress. May that would be 'stasis'? And that if I went back to a high carb way of eating, the diabetes would return.

I found this article helpful; http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/11/2133

Medically, cure may be defined as restoration to good health, while remission is defined as abatement or disappearance of the signs and symptoms of a disease (3). Implicit in the latter is the possibility of recurrence of the disease.

but i have noticed that other people may use the term 'remission' in other ways.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP does not accept you can be in remission so I am counted as a diabetic with "excellent control" - his words. I would feel that my hard work in getting some control had been recognised if it was in remission. Two years of HbA1c's in normal range is not good enough for him.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I reached an unmeasured or proved remission in 1986 and 16yrs before being diagnosed with type2.
I had diabetes symptoms in 1976.

I'm hugely insulin resistant now and on MDI insulin therapy. At one time using just under 300units of mixed insulin.
All meds I'm now intolerant of. Metformin too but on and off.

I'm looking for as close to a remission as possible by doing bariatric surgery in a few months time. I've already lost nearly 4st on low carb diet.
I'm doing this because all the evidence proves lives are saved and longevity evident too. Many more reverse their diabetes from diet and exercise to meds or some prediabetics just carnt close to diabetes any longer.
More than from the recent ND findings.
So no ND doesnt do the same a s surgery. That is now proven. Far higher reversals from surgery, for sure.
I'm definitely doing the right thing.
Surgery has higher success. Hurray! I need as much chance as possible.
My goals are possible but not guaranteed. I'm ready incase its only successful in reducing my diabetes for a bit longer rather than putting me in remission.
What is the alternative? No eyes and no feet...herm...no!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the latest report from the Newcastle Diet team, when they declared 46% of their participants achieved remission, the definition of remission was laid down as a loss of 15kg of weight and an HbA1c of under 48 by the end of 12 months from the start and no diabetes medication for at least the last 2 months. Note that the HbA1c is under 48, which is still pre-diabetic and "at risk". That seems a daft definition.

I achieved that within 3 months of my starting point and have maintained it for 3 and a half years, but I am not in remission according to how I look at it. Although I can eat a few more foods than I could, it is only with strict portion control and I dread to think what might happen if I ate a bar of milk chocolate or a baguette on a regular basis..

Personally, it doesn't worry me as long as I stay stable and avoid complications. That is my aim. Labels don't bother me.

Edited slightly but struggled due to slowness of the forum

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I often read about 'being in remission' or having reversed their diabetes. It appears to me that it's a bit like finding the holy grail this striving to be in remission.

What I'd like to know is why is it so important to forum members to be 'in remission'.
What benefits are people hoping to get?
For those who have done it how has it changed their lives to be 'in remission'.

Interesting question, personally I'd refer to the dictionary. "a temporary diminution of the severity of disease or pain".

I'd probably want to see both insulin production and insulin resistance to be in normal ranges.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I firmly beleive that once diagnosed with Diabetes there is little point in labels unless or until a cure has been found. These labels imo are a very grey area but that does not mean they are unimportant as goals set by some people. My goals are simple, 'I have Diabetes but still have good organ function and all my toes' that is more important to me than being able to say I have reversed Diabetes or that I am in remission.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP does not accept you can be in remission so I am counted as a diabetic with "excellent control" - his words. I would feel that my hard work in getting some control had been recognised if it was in remission. Two years of HbA1c's in normal range is not good enough for him.
I have the same issue with my DN. My hba1c has been between 38 and, as of Nov this year, 35 for the last 4 years however I am told that I am just a well controlled diabetic.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Me too @DavidGrahamJones .
I have still a long journey ahead.
I'm now on 51 basal insulin units and 40-50 novarapid units. Its taking its time but very slowly reducing. Having to wait for hypos to be able to reduce. Basal taking months to reduce. Bolus can be changed in weeks.
I wonder if quicker if i was able to do proper exercise?
How are you getting on?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Technically remission means being asymptomatic that is without symptoms.

But it is open to debate. I only class my self as in remission because my doctor keeps telling me I am, I'm still unsure if I truly am though.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Technically remission means being asymptomatic that is without symptoms.

But it is open to debate. I only class my self as in remission because my doctor keeps telling me I am, I'm still unsure if I truly am though.
You are John.
Steriod induced type2 should be 'cured' once steriods are out of the body longterm, surely?
I hope it gives others hope for remission/reversal.
Diabetes isn't only disease to give similiar symptoms.

For me, would I not have had atherosclerosis anyway if I'd been overweight like my siblings. Numb toes and leg off and on from scatica and bulging discs. None diabetes get these too.

I so need this weight off to hopefully get rid of insulin or nears dam it!
I want to reach very old age and SEE any grandchildren. I want to see my children reach old age too.
I'm too young to let diabetes right me off! Ha ha

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Getting really confused about remission etc.

I am in remission if I go by the definition in the nd report. (Although only been doing this since june, so technically not long enough yet). But I know if I eat carbs it comes straight back. So I dont think that really is remission, just good control.

Does the report say if the "cured" t2ds went back to a carb heavy diet? Did they stay the same weight but eat more bread and potatoes?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You are John.
Steriod induced type2 should be 'cured' once steriods are out of the body longterm, surely?
I hope it gives others hope for remission/reversal.
Diabetes isn't only disease to give similiar symptoms.

For me, would I not have had atherosclerosis anyway if I'd been overweight like my siblings. Numb toes and leg off and on from scatica and bulging discs. None diabetes get these too.

I so need this weight off to hopefully get rid of insulin or nears dam it!
I want to reach very old age and SEE any grandchildren. I want to see my children reach old age too.
I'm too young to let diabetes right me off! Ha ha

I am told by my consultant that I will be taking steroids for the foreseeable future (rest of my life most probably) even though I am on imuran as well that is why I have to be so strict with myself regarding diet and weight in order to offset the effects of the steroids.

And you can never tell what might of been as you say who knows you may have still ended up in the same position and so maybe I would have been diabetic any way even without the steroids.

I hope you will be around for your grandchildrens 60th birthdays. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting really confused about remission etc.

I am in remission if I go by the definition in the nd report. (Although only been doing this since june, so technically not long enough yet). But I know if I eat carbs it comes straight back. So I dont think that really is remission, just good control.

Does the report say if the "cured" t2ds went back to a carb heavy diet? Did they stay the same weight but eat more bread and potatoes?

I haven't seen anything about what they ate after the shakes finished. All I have seen is "normal diet"

I am also in remission going by their definition, and have been so for 3 and a half years. I lost 33% of my weight. Although I can now eat some foods I couldn't before, I have to be strict on portion control to maintain non-diabetic post meal levels, and I hate to think what would happen if I ate a bar of milk chocolate or a big baguette regularly. I know I am not in remission despite losing 33% of my weight. I may possibly be in remission from full blown T2 but am definitely still showing pre-diabetic tendencies.

My nurse wanted me to come off the register and put me on the At Risk register but I declined.