What foods do you miss most

K

Kat100

Not sure I understand the question lol. If they are low carb it follows they are low sugar.
I do get confussed I have read some low carb products that have sugar in, I am never sure about how much sugar I would be allowed...
I am not a natural low carb person I have reduced my carbs and portion size ....hba1c was 18 now 6.1 that was in my first 12 months...I feel like I have just focused on no or very low sugar the last year....that has been my goal.....:/ am I going in the right direction ....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you like small portions, Iceland do mini eclairs that have about the same carbs as three grapes. They must be tiny!

Well done on the fab hba1c reduction :happy:

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

:) thank you ....thank is kind of you to say...

I think I may of been reading the low fat products, which I have read as high sugar, my mistake .....:/

Nice of you to respond .....this is life long learning...

Yes I am a small portion person,.....Iceland it is then ....X

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Next Christmas I will miss the Finnish carrot pudding thing so will have to swap to the turnip variety.

So far I haven't missed any food, but not eating grain is a bit impractical.

Are turnips any better than carrots? According to my GI book, turnips are high GI and I would have thought best avoided.

K

Kat100

I do,eat carrots....steamed or roasted with cumin seeds , rather tasty.....
Have not tried turnips....
I know they are both root veg, hope someone will be able to ans your questions...
I love my veg....

Had a mushroom and leak bake tonight in a herb cheese sauce...
Followed by raspberries and a couple of squares of green and blacks .....very nice ...:)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are turnips any better than carrots? According to my GI book, turnips are high GI and I would have thought best avoided.
My bg goes up even on a very small amount of carrots but turnip seem to be ok. Celeriac too. You have to test, too, to se what you can tolerate.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Never really been into sweet stuff. Struggling to find alternatives for my carb addiction. I thought carrot and swede mash might be an alternative to potato but it seems that's even worse from a carb perspective!! Warburton seeded batch loaf isn't too bad carbs wise. Tesco oatcakes with cucumber are a great snack. Who knew that pears and bananas were so carb loaded?? Learning a little day by day. Any tips or recipe ideas gratefully received....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I agree, who knew before we were diagnosed and read all the info on here? Fruit is good for us and I suppose for a non-diabetic it might be but for us it's evil ;)

Funny this is, I read the headline 'What food do you miss most' and I thought 'Oh loads' but I honestly can't think of anything really. I mean not miss so much that I would kill for it. There are the times when I think it might be nice to have but that passes. I honestly wasn't aware how much my eating habits have changed until I read this thread. Now that is truly remarkable! :happy:

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I really miss the most is my daily glass of orange juice (the very first thing my doctor told me a very big NO to :(:(), and the more high sugar fruits in general. And Bonne Maman Black Cherry conserve on warm crusty buttery bread. And Niederegger marzipan loaves...

However there are a lot of things that I'm eating now that I had been rather "deprived of" since my husband took over in the kitchen, so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose!

Robbity

K

Kat100

What I really miss the most is my daily glass of orange juice (the very first thing my doctor told me a very big NO to :(:(), and the more high sugar fruits in general. And Bonne Maman Black Cherry conserve on warm crusty buttery bread. And Niederegger marzipan loaves...

However there are a lot of things that I'm eating now that I had been rather "deprived of" since my husband took over in the kitchen, so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose!

Robbity
Stute do nice diabetic jam, you may know about it.....just a thought if you miss your conserve ...x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kat, it's just those lovely whole black cherries in it that I miss, but fortunately I can manage a few jamless ones without my meter shrieking "SINNER!!" at me.

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
K

Kat100

Yes it's true ....re the kind eclair suggestion.....one choc eclair has 3.3 g sugar in carb 20g
It's low sugar I am looking that .....so pleased to find it is low, that's a normal size cake in m&s .....

I did not buy though, not yet, I bought some half fat cream ( I don't do full fat) .....gallstones removed etc.....
I am going to make a sugar free lemon cake by adapting a recepie, and the cream is for a sugar free jelly with berries...

But the eclsir I will get at some point .....my future treat....x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yes it's true ....re the kind eclair suggestion.....one choc eclair has 3.3 g sugar in carb 20g
It's low sugar I am looking that .....so pleased to find it is low, that's a normal size cake in m&s .....

I did not buy though, not yet, I bought some half fat cream ( I don't do full fat) .....gallstones removed etc.....
I am going to make a sugar free lemon cake by adapting a recepie, and the cream is for a sugar free jelly with berries...

But the eclsir I will get at some point .....my future treat....x
20g is still quite high? I was thinking more of the microscopic ones they sell in Iceland. As they have to defrost, you can't eat them on impulse lol (2.4g)

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-12-mini-chocolate-eclairs-140g/p/52065

Edited to add: Yikes, look at the ingredients. A rule of thumb should be, if you can't draw an ingredient, you shouldn't eat it.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Ha ha thank you, I will make the trip to Iceland another day....;)
Guessed the carbs were high, I don't carb count....yet....I just do smaller portions etc....
So I avoided....the cake :/
I am looking forward to baking a homemade one tomorrow though x

K

Kat100

I have not bought a cake to eat from a shop since 14 months ago when I was diagnosed .....:/

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have not bought a cake to eat from a shop since 14 months ago when I was diagnosed .....:/
Tell me about it. I have been to three family birthdays since diagnosis in January and eaten berries and cream each time. My mum makes brilliant cakes too. It is my birthday soon - I may unleash my new-found low-carb ginger muffins on the family! :woot:

K

Kat100

Tell me about it. I have been to three family birthdays since diagnosis in January and eaten berries and cream each time. My mum makes brilliant cakes too. It is my birthday soon - I may unleash my new-found low-carb ginger muffins on the family! :woot:
Yes go for the ginger muffins ........:) it is hard seeing everyone else eat the cake....
Have a good birthday, and plan some nice things to eat x