1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What foods do you miss most

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by AnnieC, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Disneyfan

Disneyfan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

do you know what I miss? It's not a particular food, it's the lack of spontaneity ... the feeling like I have to plan, bake, create, check restaurant menus in advance, feeling cheated that it's a 3 course special so I'm paying for a pudding I won't eat (lots of work functions are arranged this way).. oh and the free buffets in work at the end of term that I can't eat anything from as its all sandwiches and pies and sausage rolls ... actually i do know what I miss ... proper sweet and sour ... i'm making a great one with passata and diet fanta but its not the same as the battered stuff!

• Like Like x 5
  2. DonnaC-T

DonnaC-T Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Most days I don't miss any but some days I really miss bacon frazzle crisps, either Lidl or Sainsbury's own.
    But I'm eating better than I've ever eaten, I'm managing most fruits, except bananas, oranges. So all good really. X

3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I miss chip butties. But to be honest, I never should have been eating them anyway!

• Like Like x 4
  4. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I .miss chip buggies too especially as it would help me to put weight on
    Carol.

5. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Please tell me that this is a typo error! image.jpg

6. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am normally a good girl but today I decided on an experiment. I ate a home made chocolate pot - cream, egg, dark choccie, butter. Serious heartburn and bloatedness. Have been awake since 3:30. Weird as taste buds changing and finding that I am increasingly wanting less sugary stuff. Had sliver of cake at weekend and that did nothing for me. Quite pleases me. Not enjoying being awake. Am going to have to get a glass of water and have to be up at 6:15. Bought choccie pot might be something I could have occasionally but think I'll give it a miss. First dessert since been diagnosed!

7. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The brain goes into overdrive:eek: My only excuse is that G is just under T and I didnt have my specs on :oops:
    CAROL

8. Nimacado

Nimacado · Active Member

Never really been into sweet stuff. Struggling to find alternatives for my carb addiction. I thought carrot and swede mash might be an alternative to potato but it seems that's even worse from a carb perspective!! Warburton seeded batch loaf isn't too bad carbs wise. Tesco oatcakes with cucumber are a great snack. Who knew that pears and bananas were so carb loaded?? Learning a little day by day. Any tips or recipe ideas gratefully received....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  9. cath99

cath99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i craved apples ,, until this weekend i decided they were calling me to much lol so lucky for me i have agerman sheperd doggy who loves apples to so we go halfs on one , works for me x

10. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Apples may not be all that bad - assuming you eat to your meter.

Glycaemic Load is supposed to be a better measure of suitability than Glycaemic Index and apples are listed as low GL.

Confusion reigns, as usual.

Cheers

LGC

11. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Next Christmas I will miss the Finnish carrot pudding thing so will have to swap to the turnip variety.

So far I haven't missed any food, but not eating grain is a bit impractical.

12. RosieDred

RosieDred Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I miss cake. I started baking about 6 months before diagnosis but the day I got out of hospital I came home and put all my baking stuff at the back of the cupboard in a strop. Maybe I should start again.

On different days I miss different things but on the whole I'm really happy with what I'm eating now. I'm actually cooking every day for the first time in my life. I do miss snacking on **** on movie night.

13. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

It's pretty well accepted that low fat diets cause gallstones. Even on the Newcastle Diet they ask people to eat oil every day to keep the bile system functioning.

14. Amethyst8

Amethyst8 Type 2 · Active Member

15. Joe Sweatthang

Joe Sweatthang Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I miss the good old French stick ... Just the crust as I used to scoop out the white stuff. Loads of butter (which I still have) washed down with a nice cold glass of milk .

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Not buying and eating a lovely cream cake .....but I have made cake and shortbread with sugar subtitutes .....it's ok , but all the planning it's just not the same for me.....type 2 the rest of my diet is veggie with some carbs

17. I read on here that for a bought cream cake fix, mini chocolate eclairs are not too bad for carbs.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Today I have been sitting outside, trying to get something done, with a large hand of bananas "waving" at me from the banana plant. We also have a plantain bearing fruit at the moment, but it's draw isn't quite so seductive.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Really, is that ok for the sugar though, might be ok for a treat .... ;)
    I may have to try out an eclair....I have thought about trying to make some .....I did years ago .....

20. Not sure I understand the question lol. If they are low carb it follows they are low sugar.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook