What Funding Does A Doctor's Surgery Obtain ...

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Why do you ask? Are you feeling badly treated?

I must cost the GP a small fortune and he's never complained.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried to look this up before when people claim that GPs get so much per patient. I haven't found this anywhere but I think GPs payments are horrendously complex.
As I understand it, it's not a case of so much per person with diabetes. There are a series of targets for diabetes and other conditions. The practice has to demonstrate that a predetermined percentage of their patients achieve a target. If they do then they are awarded points. Points translate into payment for the practice. There are a large number of points available for diabetes.
so one example is

The percentage of patients newly diagnosed with diabetes, on the register, in the preceding 1 April to 31 March who have a record of being referred to a structured education programme within 9 months after entry on to the diabetes register
If they can show that the required number of patients have been referred to an educational programme the practice gets 11 points.
'11 QOF points are worth £1726 to an average practice (one with a population of 6.911 patients)'

The percentage at which payments are triggered varies between practices (for the above it is from 40-90%). I think (but don't know) that this factor takes into account the type of area the practice serves. (ie a practice in a socially deprived area may have very different problems to one in suburbia and may be set a lower percentage threshold) Again I believe, but don't know that the bar has been set higher for many practices in the last couple of years.

Apparently though these targets are voluntary and the article below suggests that sometimes it may not pay (economically rather than morally/medically to attempt to achieve them). I know that the government was trying to introduce an all or nothing approach to the main targets (ie the care processes). Looking at the list it doesn't look as this has yet happened. Doctors do now though have to achieve the targets in 12 months (it used to be 15) so they will have to ensure at least an annual check to achieve each target.
http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at- ... al-changes
list of all the targets, for all conditions for this year.
http://www.eguidelines.co.uk/eguideline ... es/qof.php