What harm is cheating on keto?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is ths safeway to step out of Ketosis? I will be travelling in a few weeks I may have to eat carbs more than keto diet requires. I guess I dont want to go DKA. Any ideas? experiences?
Are you taking any meds or purely diet controlled?

caramelmoth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Purely diet controlled. Do you suggest I talk to the doctor and ask for meds just in case? I just want to know if there is a safe process to get out of ketosis.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Purely diet controlled. Do you suggest I talk to the doctor and ask for meds just in case? I just want to know if there is a safe process to get out of ketosis.

If you are diet controlled then there is no way you can get DKA by "coming out of ketosis". Although I'm not sure why you want to anyway. If you start to eat carbs again you'll probably get higher BG readings of course but that is to be expected.

Reactions: caramelmoth

caramelmoth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are diet controlled then there is no way you can get DKA by "coming out of ketosis". Although I'm not sure why you want to anyway. If you start to eat carbs again you'll probably get higher BG readings of course but that is to be expected.

Thanks for the information!

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diet controlled 6 months since diagnosis and in keto. Over the xmas holidays (summer in NZ too so I had a long one) I was more relaxed on some things. I had a couple days around 200g carbs and a fair few days around 100. I am normally around 50 a day. I didn't seem to have any carb cravings and I was probably in/out of keto but I didn't really feel it. Pee strips still show ketones. I didn't monitor BG levels (when I did a while ago with a libre it was a pretty straight line for the most part even with some carby things) my last hba1c a few days ago was still good. I was worried about it but it had less of an impact than I thought it would on me.

Reactions: ianpspurs

caramelmoth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's pretty good. Let me know when you get your A1C numbers. I hope it's favorable

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's pretty good. Let me know when you get your A1C numbers. I hope it's favorable

I got my HBA1C the other day still at 37 so normal, it would have been lower if I hadn't ate like that. But, I should add given my earlier monitoring I was pretty confident I would be OK eating like I did. I am not going to keep that up on a regular basis I am staying at under 50 a day as I feel fine there and don't want to slide back into bad habits. The big thing for me was that I didn't go through the keto flu thing again. I should also add I seem to have a fairly high threshold for keto, I first went into it around 80g per day. I run quite a bit so that may have something to do with it.

Reactions: caramelmoth

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perfect example of why I am going to stay <50 and in keto today (with the odd cheat thrown in now and then :))

I just did a 1.5 hour trail run with an 900m elevation gain. I felt great and didn't crash at all towards the end. If I did that a year ago I would have been really shattered if I wasn't sucking down some kind of carbs. I did get thirsty toward the end but was too lazy to carry any water.

Reactions: ianpspurs

caramelmoth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good job. I am actually going to the gym tonight. And then game night with my housemates thats my Saturday night!

caramelmoth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only hard part is watching my housemates snack on things while I just drink my water all night. It's okay it's worth the sacrifice.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question guys, how exactly are you checking if you are in ketosis? Are you using a finger prick test to check for ketones?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick question guys, how exactly are you checking if you are in ketosis? Are you using a finger prick test to check for ketones?
I do yes although rarely check these days..Caresens Dual meter

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
When I check (not often) I normally use Ketostix, but have used a blood meter a couple of times which seems to broadly agree with the Ketostix.

If I am maintaining my weight without eating many carbohydrates (that is, far fewer than needed for daily energy needs) it is almost a given that I am in long term ketosis.

The test are just a cross check to confirm that theory is correct.:)

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, been keto pretty much since Friday, had a check yesterday and was 0.3. I have also not had more than 50g carbs in a day for about 3months. I wonder does it take a T1 longer to enter ketosis etc. Not seeing much of a weight drop either as yet. Patience I guess.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, been keto pretty much since Friday, had a check yesterday and was 0.3. I have also not had more than 50g carbs in a day for about 3months. I wonder does it take a T1 longer to enter ketosis etc. Not seeing much of a weight drop either as yet. Patience I guess.
What time did you check.. it can vary quite a bit during the day. I usually find higher ketones pm than am.

Reactions: JoeT1