"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
. It's easy for someone to lose weight, but it's very difficult for someone, it depends on the metabolism, and since you have diabetes, your metabolism is not all right. Insulin make you fat even if they don't eat anything, and you inject it all the time. You know, T1 has a very bad, but very effective way to lose weight - just stop injecting insulin and eat whatever you want. I do not recommend it in any way, because it can lead to a coma, I mean that without insulin it is impossible to get fat even by a gram, so it's not about food at all

I wasn't diagnosed as T2 until I was 63, despite going to doctors with lots of symptoms but I was overweight and gaining since I was 21. I think I was diabetic since I had my first son at the age of 21 but, somehow it was missed by everyone, and I didn't know about diabetes until I was 63. Then I diagnosed myself and went to a doctor for confirmation. You're right though, since going onto insulin my weight has grown and grown out of all proportion. But I'm still being blamed for it by just about everyone, including doctors and nurses (You just have to eat less and exercise more). Other people don't necessarily say anything, but I'm aware that that's what they are likely to be thinking. That's one reason I'd rather not go out any more - my immediate family either accept me as I am or do understand.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I'm still being blamed for it by just about everyone, including doctors and nurses (You just have to eat less and exercise more). Other people don't necessarily say anything, but I'm aware that that's what they are likely to be thinking. That's one reason I'd rather not go out any more - my immediate family either accept me as I am or do understand.
Be sure we like you no matter if you're thin or fat, and obviously your granddaughter loves you just the way you are!

Reactions: Outlier

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Be sure we like you no matter if you're thin or fat, and obviously your granddaughter loves you just the way you are!

Antje, I don't even like me very much. But Em frequently tells me that she loves me. Today we had a little "disagreement" about who loved the other more. Em won when she said, "You've loved me for nine years out of 76 but I've loved you for ALL MY LIFE! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Antje, I don't even like me very much. But Em frequently tells me that she loves me. Today we had a little "disagreement" about who loved the other more. Em won when she said, "You've loved me for nine years out of 76 but I've loved you for ALL MY LIFE! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Very sensible child!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I'm still being blamed for it by just about everyone, including doctors and nurses (You just have to eat less and exercise more).
Eat less, move more, and keep getting fat [because you have too much insulin], as Jason Fung said. I know this is easier said than done, but **** these people. They have no place in your environment. I was afraid for a long time that I would be alone if I did this, but in fact, after that I made some really amazing friends.
Other people don't necessarily say anything, but I'm aware that that's what they are likely to be thinking.

Not really. It became easy for me when I realized that 99% of people do not care about me, and even easier when I did not care about everyone except for those who are really dear to me. Your granddaughter (?) is a great example that people love you no matter your weight

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I heard in a different context but equally applicable to our diabetes:

"It's an exercise in Mind over Matter. I don't mind and they don't matter".

Reactions: Annb and Zhnyaka

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Back from my bloodletting this afternoon - absolutely exhausted and barely able to move. Actually not a very gory event - the nurse did manage to find a small vein on the 2nd attempt but the blood took ages to trickle out into the 2 phials. And I had done all that I could to make it work - didn't take diuretics, drank about 2 litres of fluid, kept myself warm with a big sweater, kept my hands warm - that's possibly why she got the little that she did. Got home and had to sit down but fell asleep for a couple of hours with my coat still on. Just woke up but still can't move around very well so I've taken pain killers to see if that will help. Then I'll have to think about my 2nd meal - the cauliflower Neil managed to get was very small, so might not make cauli soup after all.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently there is a new covid development - primary children seem to be developing some sort of post-viral condition which involves abdominal pain which initially is thought to be appendicitis, but isn't. Several children in Em's school have suffered this way and, last evening, she developed it and so was off school again today. So much for stopping precautions now. I don't think it is particularly dangerous, but who knows about the long term effects?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible that it's a simple tummy bug that's typical in that it sweeps through groups of children and sorts itself out? Covid is a handy get-out for blaming stuff that always used to happen.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible that it's a simple tummy bug that's typical in that it sweeps through groups of children and sorts itself out? Covid is a handy get-out for blaming stuff that always used to happen.

I would have thought that myself but this seems to be coming from medics, who should know whether it is or not. Not that I have infinite trust in medics, but I suppose they know more than I do about things that are not related to me. If it is a bug, Em hasn't passed it on to any of the rest of us.

Still stiff an sore after yesterday's efforts and don't expect to do much today but there is stuff to be done - as always. But as my mother-in-law used to say "the house will be there when you're not, so don't worry about it". However, her house was always immaculate.

Reactions: Antje77

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I saw this picture and realized that I know who I want to share it with :)
IMG_20220614_164632.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a good medication review yesterday, with several recommendations of dosage increase in the Schedule 8 medication I take. All the rest of my medications stay the same dosage.

He aso suggested for my GP to arrange another CT scan and Colonoscopy with the oncology dept at the base hospital, this will after my next lot of blood tests to be done which he gave me a request form at my local pathology lab down the road.

Showed him my bgl logbook but he was not interested as I do not take any medication for it, just to keep on eating what I am eating.

He's happy, my palliative care GP will be happy, and I was happy to pick up another bottle of single malt on the strength of that so will be happy in evenings.

Jaquii will not be happy tho'.

UZVjNDz.png

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading you sometimes it seems that your government is even scarier than your wildlife :hilarious:
Not anymore, we voted the right wing goverment out of power.

Never turn your back on all Aistralian fauna and some of our flora as they will put you in a land of hurt.

She looks like a very interesting (and formidable) lady. More power to her elbow!
She has here uses at times.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG currently a bit on the high side - started at 9.5, went up to 11.4 and back down to 10.9. Had to delay taking my morning pills because I was going out but I've taken them all now, including some more pain killers because moving around was a killer! Just waiting for it to work.

Had to go to the hospital to try to give them some decent volume of blood this time. I don't understand why - this is supposed to be to get my HBa1c but when they check that in the Diabetes Clinic, they just use a finger-prick test to give them a figure for the last 6 or so weeks but they don't seem to be doing it any more. The nurse on blood taking duty was disappointed to see my name on the list for today, she told me. One more medic who doesn't really want to know me. That seems to be the story of our family life - in all sorts of fields, people have been saying "Oh no - it's one of those S***s again). However, eventually, she managed to find a vein that provided a trickle. It took ages to fill a little phial, but eventually she had enough for their needs. She says she doesn't want to be on duty when I have to go back for the same test in 3 months' time. Not sure why I need to have it again in 3 months - the Diabetes Clinic only usually does it every 6 months.

Currently waiting for appointment for endoscopy/colonoscopy but I guess that waiting list must be pretty long at the moment. Next appointment is for an ultrasound scan of my liver - that's next week.

I have been waiting for over 9 months for a dental appointment to follow up treatment started way back when and the only appointment they can give me is for 4th July. Further appointments are set for the end of July. Trouble is, I am already booked to lead a session at a local conference (in Stornoway) that morning. I can't cancel the dental appointment (don't want to, if I can avoid it) so now I'll have to try to get my session changed to the afternoon and hope my mouth won't be too frozen to speak. Wouldn't you know it!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Picked up some meat from the butchers on the way home from the pathology lab, he had MSA rump steak on special fpr $20.00 a kg, nearly half price so bought a whole rump like the one in his facebook page.

287632459_2039151999605862_6819461524650854106_n.jpg

This has so much truth in it at times, even though it's funny .

287302949_2043299265857802_1480221566800436342_n.jpg

Reactions: MrsA2 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Expecting Em to come in this afternoon, but she hasn't turned up - I guess her mum has picked her up from school. She asked if she could come for a sleepover tonight, so I expect to see her then. She is in caring mode at present and knowing that I have been feeling stiff and sore the last few days, she insists on "looking after" me. When she left yesterday she ordered me (literally) to call her if I'm feeling unwell, so she can come and take care of me. Sweet child.

Reactions: maglil55