"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
12.10 am actually. Woke up with my suffocating dream so shan't go back to bed tonight. I'll probably doze in the chair eventually but at present my legs are hurting too much and the pain killers haven't kicked in yet. Trying to take my mind off it by talking to you guys. In the chair I sit with my legs raised but don't have to lay down to relax. Sitting upright, I never have my suffocating dream, so feel a lot safer.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sniffling and sneezing and have a sore throat, but don't feel particularly ill with it - it's probably a cold and also probably the reason for my suffocating dream last night. I hope it is just a cold, but these days - who can tell?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG has been high again all day today. Must be because of the cold - sneezing a lot and my throat is still very sore. Em came in for a visit and has been here for hours (because it's several days since she saw me) so I shared my salmon with her - luckily it was quite a large piece and was quite adequate cut in half. She didn't like the courgette though, or the cauli mash. Can't win 'em all. Her mum is allergic to fish, so she doesn't have it at home and she really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Now - here's an odd thing. I think it is anyway. I got to bed just before midnight - my cold making me feel tired - and woke up again at 1.40 am. Nothing unusual there. Got up for a visit to the toilet and checked my Libre - 7.0. Fine. I got back into bed thinking I might be lucky enough to doze off again. 15 minutes later I was on the verge of sleep and BEEP BEEP BEEF! The Libre alarm was shrieking at me. The reading was 3.6. I know BG can drop suddenly, but I was amazed at the scale of the drop in 15 minutes.

Got up for a cup of tea to see if that will be enough to settle it down. I don't really want to have a boiled sweet or a biscuit because my gums are swollen and sore - also something to do with this cold.

My legs are too hot and sore to go back to sleep in bed, so I'm sitting at my desk, trying to take my mind off it again. Hope you don't mind being a sounding board in these early morning ramblings.

Reactions: Dutchman2016

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
15 minutes later I was on the verge of sleep and BEEP BEEP BEEF! The Libre alarm was shrieking at me. The reading was 3.6. I know BG can drop suddenly, but I was amazed at the scale of the drop in 15 minutes.
At such instances, please do a fingerprick to double check. Libre is very useful but it does have it's blips.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
At such instances, please do a fingerprick to double check. Libre is very useful but it does have it's blips.

It has to have been a blip. A short while later (after a cup of tea) I checked again and it was back up to 6.0. Currently way up to 12.9 - that's after 60u of Humalog and 56u of Tresiba and bacon and eggs.

Turns out that someone who came to the conference on Monday and Tuesday started feeling ill on Tuesday afternoon. She went home to Orkney and when she got there tested positive for covid. Another person there has gone down with a cough and I've gone down with a cold - neither of us tested so far, but I do have one test left, so will do that later because I am supposed to be at the GP surgery to get my legs dressed again on Monday. They won't want me to go there unless I can assure them that it is just a cold.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any surprises?
Sounds romantic! ;)
Nothing I was not expecting to happen, I now knowwhere the extra pain is coming from, so no magical laying on of hands to make it go away.

Not romantic, my partner had a stubby of beer watching Prime .
Hope the scan results were what you wanted to hear.
It comfirmed what I already was aware of.
@Riva_Roxaban I hope your scan results were as good as you could hope for in your circumstances. A glass of single malt and jazz sounds like such a perfect evening.
It's all down hill from here now, the single malt helps the medicine go down, medicine go down. Oxycodone IR, Fentanyl patches are helping me a lot, soon as the pain start getting through the patch, I take a Oxycodone IR and it knocks the pain out within ~10 minutes.

To keep on topic the subject of low carb meals came up and I have been told to enjoy what I have previously stopped eating.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing I was not expecting to happen, I now knowwhere the extra pain is coming from,
Cancer is stupid.

And between the lines you've let us know things have been going slowly downhill in the past couple of months, which sucks.
To keep on topic the subject of low carb meals came up and I have been told to enjoy what I have previously stopped eating.
Not bad advice to my thinking, provided you can do so while keeping your BG low enough to not get stupid symptoms from high BG making you feel worse. So maximum enjoyment of food without feeling ill from high BG without the worry for long term complications would be what I'd aim for I guess.
And considering this parallel thread is in General Chat, and not the low carb forum, feel free to share whatever food you enjoy, low carb or not.

Still wishing you all the best!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cancer is stupid.
It's a sneaky insidous #@#^%$ disease that's for sure.
Not bad advice to my thinking, provided you can do so while keeping your BG low enough to not get stupid symptoms from high BG making you feel worse. So maximum enjoyment of food without feeling ill from high BG without the worry for long term complications would be what I'd aim for I guess.
Portion size control is the best way for me to do this, I am very tempted to buy bananas as they are cheap at the momenet, but I knwo what they wil do to me, one's to many, the bunch is not eneough...

banana.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tested for covid and it has come back negative, I'm glad to say. So what I have is some other lurgi - makes me feel very ill, but it won't stop me going to the health centre today to get my legs re-bandaged. I gather that, after being shut up inside the house for more than 2 years, people are succumbing to nastier than usual versions of the standard bugs that we all build up immunity to by being out and about. That seems to be what has happened to me. But all's well - no covid.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the pups have gone to their new homes. DIL, Braidie and Em took them on the ferry this morning to go to their new homes on the mainland. DIL was hoping to rehome them on the islands but I never thought there was much chance of that - only 3 are remaining here: one is staying with his mum; one has gone to Em's big sister in Stornoway; one is going to a lady from Uist. I never thought these small islands would have many people willing to take on such big dogs. Of course, when Ginnie was in pup, it was thought she would have 2 or 3, maybe 4 but 11 was a bit of a shock. Those people who want them are paying several hundred pounds for each pup but there will be no profit in it because there has been so much damage to the furnishings and so much spent on trying to contain them all, plus fees for the vet and microchipping/vaccinating and, on top of that, fares to their destinations...it all adds up and we reckon that each pup has cost their share of several thousands to raise them thus far. Ginnie is to be spayed asap so there are no accidents in future.

Ginnie's latest escapade was trying to get the door of the enclosure open by chewing through the elastic springs Alistair had used to close it. She got through the lowest ones before she was seen and stopped. The springs have now been replaced by metal ones. Security may not need to be so tight though, now that the majority of the pups have gone.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Legs bandaged very tight this time and I can barely walk but at least they weren't swollen as much as previously. Ankles and feet as bad as before but the bit between my knees and ankles has definitely reduced in size. Might not be able to stand up long enough to chop up vegetables - we'll see how it goes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing I was not expecting to happen, I now knowwhere the extra pain is coming from, so no magical laying on of hands to make it go away.

Not romantic, my partner had a stubby of beer watching Prime .

It comfirmed what I already was aware of.

It's all down hill from here now, the single malt helps the medicine go down, medicine go down. Oxycodone IR, Fentanyl patches are helping me a lot, soon as the pain start getting through the patch, I take a Oxycodone IR and it knocks the pain out within ~10 minutes.

With the exception of my Dad (who had a stroke), I've lost my entire birth family to various cancers. I agree with @Antje77 , it is a vile and unpredictable disease. I was involved in care for all of them. You remind me a lot of the brother who was closest to me age wise. He had Myloma and lived life to the full during many treatments. He was very pragmatic but made his mind up that it wasn't going to define his life. He rather liked his wee malt as well! Highland Park.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Legs bandaged very tight this time and I can barely walk but at least they weren't swollen as much as previously. Ankles and feet as bad as before but the bit between my knees and ankles has definitely reduced in size. Might not be able to stand up long enough to chop up vegetables - we'll see how it goes.
I can empathise. My right leg has kicked off again with pins and needles. I couldn't walk this morning and it's taken serious effort with the deep tissue massager to get some mobility going. I have Physio scheduled for tomorrow morning. I just hope it eases enough to get there.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can empathise. My right leg has kicked off again with pins and needles. I couldn't walk this morning and it's taken serious effort with the deep tissue massager to get some mobility going. I have Physio scheduled for tomorrow morning. I just hope it eases enough to get there.

Just wondering where the fluid is going to go if it doesn't gather in my legs. Don't suppose it will just disappear. No obvious change in the effect of the diuretics I'm taking, so I don't think it is actually going away.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He was very pragmatic but made his mind up that it wasn't going to define his life. He rather liked his wee malt as well! Highland Park.
I will drink a malty toast to your brother tonight.

I have already made my wishes know both to my partner, to the papliative care tean including my GP, that my quality of life is not improving. So I want make use of the new Queensland VAD law that comes in to effect in January 2023 and to make any arangments needed.

I hope posting the link does not offend the ethose and toc's etc.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system-governance/legislation/voluntary-assisted-dying-act

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother tells me that, for the first time ever (79 years) he has started to suffer from hay fever. He wondered if it was due to a blood transfusion he had after his surgery. I have heard that mentioned before but wasn't sure that hay fever could be transmitted that way. However, I mentioned it to Neil and he confirmed that he was not allowed to donate blood, despite having a rare blood group (inherited from me) because he has so many allergies which the blood-takers said would pass on his allergies to recipients of his blood.

I have never been able to give blood either, but that was because they could never find a vein to get it from.

Alistair used to be a blood donor (same group as us) and his blood was used to separate out some other valuable factors. Luckily, he has no allergies. However, now he takes tablets for high BP and so his blood is not acceptable either.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG has been swinging between 18.8 and 3.6 in the last couple of days,mostly settling around the 13 mark, whatever I do or don't do. The 60u Humalog and 56u of Tresiba I took this morning had no effect on getting it down any further, despite only having bacon, sausage and eggs. I took the Humalog half an hour before eating - that idea doesn't seem to work any longer either. So, if I can't last out, I will have a piece of ham, but otherwise, I'll just do without.

I wonder if this is something to do with my cold, which is easing off now, or with a further development in my resistance to insulin. Also wondering if I should up the Tresiba dose. Might talk to the diabetes nurse about that.

Late yesterday evening it was 17.6 and I took a full 60u of Humalog to try to get it down but it only fell to 13.4 during the night and early morning. And there was I, thinking I'd need to keep an eye on it in case it dropped me down to a hypo level. Currently 13.5. Been keeping off the fluids too, in case tea causes the problem but I will have to start drinking something.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if this is something to do with my cold, which is easing off now, or with a further development in my resistance to insulin. Also wondering if I should up the Tresiba dose. Might talk to the diabetes nurse about that.
Colds are notorious for raising BG. Don't up the Tresiba without consulting your nurse, Tresiba is slow to react to dosing changes, it might take 3 days before noticing a difference, by which time your cold has passed, possibly making you end up going hypo all the time.
Been keeping off the fluids too, in case tea causes the problem but I will have to start drinking something.
Keep drinking!
Double as important with a cold, and double as important with higher numbers to allow your body to get rid of the excess glucose through urine!