"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that the phrase in the photo that hangs on my refrigerator is too good to just hang on the refrigerator
I don't agree with the phrase.
I think it's up to everyone to decide what they want to eat for themselves. Having your pancreas stop producing insulin is no reason to be expected to live healthier than your peers.

Reactions: Annb

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I don't agree with the phrase.
I think it's up to everyone to decide what they want to eat for themselves. Having your pancreas stop producing insulin is no reason to be expected to live healthier than your peers.
healthier?! I thought it was a reason to expect an early death and complications...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
healthier?! I thought it was a reason to expect an early death and complications...
Why would a diabetic be told to not eat junkfood? If you can dose for it it's not different from a non diabetic eating junk food.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Why would a diabetic be told to not eat junkfood? If you can dose for it it's not different from a non diabetic eating junk food.
I eat them too often :arghh: it's just harmful and since I can't even gain weight, there's not much that motivates me to lead a healthier lifestyle, but the idea that if I neglect my life it will devalue Fred's work motivates me

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I like the idea of slowing down aging

Anything that will slow down ageing is good in my book - within reason that is. Seriously though, do all you can to stay fit, even if you don't age well. From personal experience, I can tell you that letting your level of fitness slip can lead to all kinds of trouble in later life. The only good thing about getting old is that is may be better than the alternative - but even that's not a given. As someone famous, whose name I forget said , "Getting old is not for sissies."

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat them too often :arghh: it's just harmful and since I can't even gain weight, there's not much that motivates me to lead a healthier lifestyle, but the idea that if I neglect my life it will devalue Fred's work motivates me

Whatever motivates you to look after yourself is good for you.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
"Getting old is not for sissies."
Like diabetes. Thank you, I hope I will still live to old age, considering what is happening in my country right now :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Like diabetes. Thank you, I hope I will still live to old age, considering what is happening in my country right now :hilarious:
Now that's something I completely agree with!
While being old is not for sissies, as @Annb has so eloquently put it, we still want to try for ourselves!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, here we are again. It's coming on for 1.30 am; went to bed about 10.45 and just couldn't get to sleep. Not exactly in desperate pain, but uncomfortable. So I got up about 12.50 and came through to the kitchen. Then I realised that the pain was worse than I'd thought while laying down. So it's more codeine and paracetemol and wait for it to kick in now. Just watching an old edition of QIxl. If I saw it before, I've forgotten it. The pain in my leg is similar to the pain I had in my side before the spots appeared, so I'm wondering if it is connected. I'll be seeing the nurse again tomorrow so I'll see if she has any ideas.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone famous, whose name I forget said , "Getting old is not for sissies."

It was Bette Davis - old time Holywood star. She lived to a fairly ripe old age and had the money to look after herself and she still found it was something to tough out. However, which of us doesn't want to give it a try?

Edited to correct a spelling mistake.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
8 am. I actually got up at 5.30 but had to take more pain killers so fell asleep again when they kicked in - sitting in the chair in the kitchen. I had my suffocating dream again; the first time sitting in the chair. It was a bit different in that I went into the dreamed situation more slowly than usual and found it hard to force my way out of it - ended up on yelling for my husband (dead these last 5 years almost exactly) to come and get me out of it. I was dropping into a kind of panic attack. That was no fun!

Anyway, I'm awake now and having a cup of tea and calming myself by posting to you guys. You're a good broad shoulder - hope you don't mind.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em and her mum came for a visit - just back from Uist. Apparently the ferry from the mainland, which brings in freight has failed them again. Food is already short and milk rationed to one bottle per household. Even the hotel they stayed in was short of food for their guests. Bad enough, but there were people who were stuck on the island and, to get off had to travel down to Barra and get the ferry from there to Oban, travel from Oban to Uig (on Skye) to pick up their car, so they could continue their journey. And Calmac refused to reimburse even the fare for the ferry that didn't sail! Never mind the extra costs to get back to their car. That, I imagine, is one London couple who will not be going back to the Islands.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw this on Facebook and thought of you, @Goonergal .
I also did a quick forum search for 'five guys' posted by Goonergal on the WHYET thread to make sure I didn't misremember and got a whopping 119 results, so definitely not misremembering! :hilarious:

upload_2022-8-5_18-59-0.png

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb bbc2 countryfile now, a piece on the troubles with your ferries. You're famous!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've shown you pictures of my bedstee before, but I'm slowly adding boats to the wall now.
And not just any boats, but boats that have meant something to me in my life!

I have 6 now, and there's more to come. :)

A week ago I painted the first two, shown below. The first is a Valk, a 6 meter gaff rigged open boat. It was my aunt's when I was 4 or 5 years old, my first sailing experience.
The front sail wasn't really pink, but it is in my picture because my aunt and her girlfriend sailed at 't Roze Fokje (the pink front sail, whatever a front sail is called in English), a sailing school for women, the name obviously referring to the pink triangle.
As you can imagine, with my whole four or five years, I was very dismayed to find out the sails were white, so I rectified the situation 40 years later.

The second is my very own first boat, a present when I was 5 and had learned to swim. It's a very small rubber boat called Marie, silver at the bottom, transparent at the top.
I painted a situation where I was 7 or 8, when I had rowed out on the small lake with the wind at my back and found out the wind was too strong to return. So I swam back, with my teddy bear in the boat. :)

upload_2022-8-8_22-47-17.png

Next up is my first sailing boat, my birthday present when I was 6. We didn't have a lot of money, so my mum has spent a lot of time secretly turning an old battered optimist to a pretty one. :)
Luckily, she had fallen in love with a sail maker, who made me my very own pink sail to make up for the stupid white ones at 't Roze Fokje!

298260830_10225963929919188_258635114761365598_n.jpg

Reactions: Pipp and Speedbird