"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And here's my mum's boat, a BM 16m2, a 6 meter open sailing boat.

She bought it when I was 7, as she's gotten quite envious of me and my sailing boat, and she had inherited just enough money to buy a leaky old wooden boat.
She definitely got cheated too, as it was in much worse shape then the seller made it out to be. But it was still the best buy ever because it came with a place in a very small harbour just outside Amsterdam where we lived.
A green place in the middle of nowhere in between meadows with cows, managed by the owners of the 12 boats in the little harbour, and still only an hour by bike.
You could put up a little tent there, and I've spent many weekends and summers around the boat in my youth.

298280287_10225963930759209_6808144563931199110_n.jpg

298264445_10225963928799160_22471026193596735_n.jpg

Reactions: Pipp

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This one is a sad one.
It's my first aqcuaintance with the 'Bruine Vloot' the fleet of traditional flat bottomed ships, now used for trips with tourists.
The Nieuwe Maen (New Moon) is a Dutch klipper (not to be confused with the ocean-going clippers), a 26 meter sailing ship built in 1891.
On 7 june 1997 my mum was doing a weekend trip as a guest on the Nieuwe Maen when this ridiculous sudden storm hit them in the afternoon on the IJsselmeer.
She was lost overboard trying to help one of the other guests.

I came aboard in the middle of the night, wanting to be with the people who were there, and wanting to meet the skipper and his deckhands.
Despite the situation, I loved the ship.
The skipper and I cried together and hugged eachother, and I asked him to take me with him on a trip to see what it was like for myself.

A year later we had a sailing weekend in memory of my mother with friends and family to scatter her ashes at the approximate place where she drowned, and to enjoy the sailing and the company.
Six of us stayed for another four days because the ship had to be in another harbour 5 days later and the trip was great fun as well as a memorial trip. Three of those 6 were sailing as a deckhand within two months after this trip, me being one of them!

298470028_10225963931639231_1204196633875553711_n.jpg

298169223_10225963931199220_570193749707290139_n.jpg

And here's the only seagoing ship I ever sailed on, the Regina Maris, a month or two before the memorial trip on the Nieuwe m\Maen.
I somehow wiggled myself in when the father of my boyfriend was invited for a weekend trip from Amsterdam to Lowestoft. A weekend is too short really for such a trip, but I did manage to have a couple of pints at the Plough and Sail before hurrying back to the ship for the return trip!

This trip planted the seed of wanting to sail for a job, which I have done for many years. :)

298105690_10225963932799260_7310801075686348021_n.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing these. I can see you'll spend many more hours in your bedstee surrounded by your memories

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for sharing these. I can see you'll spend many more hours in your bedstee surrounded by your memories
Yes!
I already slept there for a couple of weeks after finishing the underwater parts and found myself enjoying the different things painted there before turning off the light every night.
I've been sleeping on a mattress on the floor again to be able to paint the little boats for over a week now (making my living room pretty much unusable, it's a small living room and it's way too full with a mattress on the floor) but I look very much forward to use the bedstee again and be able to choose to linger over memories attached to particular boats, or enjoy the pictures of my sea snakes, the happy shrimp, the school of fishes looking like guinea pigs or the vague crocodile. :)

The monster of Loch Ness will also be added between the ships at some point, or rather two of them because I don't want it to be lonely. :)

And once the boats are finished, things need to appear in the sky as well!
Not sure what yet, except flocks of birds. Maybe I'll do flying geese in the sky with a mirror of swimming swans in the sea. Or the outlines of a flying witch on a broomstick against the bright yellow sun, we'll see. :)

RosemaryJackson

Dag Antje. I have only sailed once in my life in a boat like yours and that was on a canal in Friesland by the side of the farm where I lived with my fiance's parents. You brought back lovely memories of my 2 years in Holland that I will never forget. My fiance became my husband in Heemstede dichtbij Haarlem. I attended the Academie voor Lichaams Cultuur in Amsterdam 2 nights a week but had to give it up to move to Amersfoort when my husband who was in the Dutch army was posted to Soest. Unfortunately, my marriage broke up but I still have wonderful memories of my time there and the lovely people I met. That was 63 years ago and although I spoke fluent Dutch then, I have forgotten so much now. But thank you so much for bringing back so many wonderful memories. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mum.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This one is a sad one.
It's my first aqcuaintance with the 'Bruine Vloot' the fleet of traditional flat bottomed ships, now used for trips with tourists.
The Nieuwe Maen (New Moon) is a Dutch klipper (not to be confused with the ocean-going clippers), a 26 meter sailing ship built in 1891.
On 7 june 1997 my mum was doing a weekend trip as a guest on the Nieuwe Maen when this ridiculous sudden storm hit them in the afternoon on the IJsselmeer.
She was lost overboard trying to help one of the other guests.

I came aboard in the middle of the night, wanting to be with the people who were there, and wanting to meet the skipper and his deckhands.
Despite the situation, I loved the ship.
The skipper and I cried together and hugged eachother, and I asked him to take me with him on a trip to see what it was like for myself.

A year later we had a sailing weekend in memory of my mother with friends and family to scatter her ashes at the approximate place where she drowned, and to enjoy the sailing and the company.
Six of us stayed for another four days because the ship had to be in another harbour 5 days later and the trip was great fun as well as a memorial trip. Three of those 6 were sailing as a deckhand within two months after this trip, me being one of them!

298470028_10225963931639231_1204196633875553711_n.jpg

298169223_10225963931199220_570193749707290139_n.jpg

And here's the only seagoing ship I ever sailed on, the Regina Maris, a month or two before the memorial trip on the Nieuwe m\Maen.
I somehow wiggled myself in when the father of my boyfriend was invited for a weekend trip from Amsterdam to Lowestoft. A weekend is too short really for such a trip, but I did manage to have a couple of pints at the Plough and Sail before hurrying back to the ship for the return trip!

This trip planted the seed of wanting to sail for a job, which I have done for many years. :)

298105690_10225963932799260_7310801075686348021_n.jpg

What a terrific idea, Antje. Love the boat paintings and I'm sure your bedstee will be a lovely place to sleep, bringing memories, happy and sad, and sweet dreams.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em's here for most of the day while her Mum sleeps - she works best at night, so frequently does a "night shift" in the laundry. Em will be going to her sister for a sleepover tonight and here for a sleepover tomorrow night so that some maintenance and decoration can be done in her bedroom. Her Mum and Dad are snowed under with work, both in the laundry and in the house, just now. They need to renew lots of things after the battering that the house took with 14 dogs running around it. While they are at it, they are putting in a new stove with a back boiler which should be more efficient than the old electric boiler. So, it's all go in their little house just now. Em has been busy doing lots of paintings to decorate her walls with. She'd done so many paintings that I had to order some new watercolours and acrylics. They arrived today so she's been busy again. Now we've run out of paper so we have to wait a day or so before the next delivery. So she's decided to make herself a mask for Hallowe'en and is busy crafting now.

Reactions: MrsA2

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Em's here for most of the day while her Mum sleeps - she works best at night, so frequently does a "night shift" in the laundry. Em will be going to her sister for a sleepover tonight and here for a sleepover tomorrow night so that some maintenance and decoration can be done in her bedroom. Her Mum and Dad are snowed under with work, both in the laundry and in the house, just now. They need to renew lots of things after the battering that the house took with 14 dogs running around it. While they are at it, they are putting in a new stove with a back boiler which should be more efficient than the old electric boiler. So, it's all go in their little house just now. Em has been busy doing lots of paintings to decorate her walls with. She'd done so many paintings that I had to order some new watercolours and acrylics. They arrived today so she's been busy again. Now we've run out of paper so we have to wait a day or so before the next delivery. So she's decided to make herself a mask for Hallowe'en and is busy crafting now.
Now that's forward planning. Halloween masks.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, as she said: "It's only 10 weeks away." It's mask for a horrible character she has seen stories of called "Cartoon Cat", so it's an easy costume to make - all black, including the mask, although that has quite a grimace on it.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just realised that my prescription for Tresiba pens wasn't in the bag from the pharmacy. Alistair put it into the fridge for me, so I didn't realise we were one item short. Went to get a new pen this morning and found it was the last one! That will last me until Tuesday. Phoned the pharmacy and they have no idea why it wasn't there but they do have it in and will let me have a pack. Can't pick it up until Monday, but that's OK. Panic over.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have started to get a trick or treat stuff in a list.

Small brussel sprouts to be dipped in chocalate.
Wasabi oated green peas.

Need a few more tricksies to go with them, I will also have a pressure spray to hose the front down if they start to egg the place.

Edit: Bought a vowel so it was more lucid.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our buther has started to sell meal ready to eat here's on them that looks ok. braised steak and onions and rice for $12.00.

Hopefully reheating the rice will cut the carbs down

h3E9i5R.jpg

Edit; Broke hotlink.

297989217_2084232455097816_8871924593150342607_n.jpg

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He had a nice Ham Hock Mustard Terrine on sale as well, forgot to ask the price tho'.

296113809_2079847642202964_8884376767772673434_n.jpg
Ooh, I need to make something like that. Have ham hock in freezer. Just need a recipe. Off to find one, now.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for that @Riva_Roxaban . I had thought gelatine would be needed, but some recipes I found didn’t include it.
I will use the gelatine one, as I believe others without could have a crumbling all over the place when cut, which would be messy.
will try your butcher’s recipe next time I know the hungry hoardes are visiting here for a feed.

Reactions: Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for that @Riva_Roxaban . I had thought gelatine would be needed, but some recipes I found didn’t include it.
I will use the gelatine one, as I believe others without could have a crumbling all over the place when cut, which would be messy.
will try your butcher’s recipe next time I know the hungry hoardes are visiting here for a feed.
Just don't go putting any of that awful beetroot juice in it ;)

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 543160

I've shown you pictures of my bedstee before, but I'm slowly adding boats to the wall now.
And not just any boats, but boats that have meant something to me in my life!

I have 6 now, and there's more to come. :)

A week ago I painted the first two, shown below. T
he first is a Valk, a 6 meter gaff rigged open boat. It was my aunt's when I was 4 or 5 years old, my first sailing experience.
The front sail wasn't really pink, but it is in my picture because my aunt and her girlfriend sailed at 't Roze Fokje (the pink front sail, whatever a front sail is called in English), a sailing school for women, the name obviously referring to the pink triangle.
As you can imagine, with my whole four or five years, I was very dismayed to find out the sails were white, so I rectified the situation 40 years later.

298260830_10225963929919188_258635114761365598_n.jpg
I'm loving your stories and memories about your special boats, @Antje77! I'm reading this thread just for them, and not for what people may have been eating....:wacky:

I learned some basic sailing in a GP14 nearly 60 years ago, and I remember that your pink front sail is called a "jib" in English. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never sailed - other than in tankers, ore carriers or cargo ships - but my husband used to when he was on leave (couldn't get enough of the sea). As I remember, that's correct - it's the jib, in English.