"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't want to tell Em what my really big fear is because I don't want her to start thinking about it and maybe being afraid herself. It is small spaces. If necessary, I would hate it, but I would somehow deal with even a big spider but I could never force myself to go into a narrow or low space - even though on one occasion it meant me waiting alone in a very dim light in a smallish cavern in the cliffs at Hastings, while everyone else went ahead through a narrow "corridor" which would end up exactly where I was standing - just for the fun of it. The corridor so narrow that now, I wouldn't be able to get my bulk through.:arghh:

Same when we rented Rosslyn Castle for a few days for a family get-together - I couldn't bear the thought of exploring the lowest level until I hit on the idea of covering my head with my jacket. Odd.

Same when I was on a ship in drydock in Japan and I knew that my husband was underneath the ship, checking the hull in a 6ft high space. It never occurred to him to think of it, but I felt that the ship would fall off its supports and crush him. Also odd. It couldn't fall off. Not unless there were an earthquake - not unknown in Japan but that wasn't what I was thinking of.

Edited because it loaded before I finished typing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 apparently, their major concern is that alcohol will interfere with the efficiency of the drops/medication I take. However, I've now discovered that they are referring to alcohol consumption at a level way above my occasional drink. Anyway, I know it's because I'm being told "don't" that make me want one. My solitary campari can return next Sunday.

It's a crazy number of drops, but the right eye drops decrease from 14 daily to only 10 daily, thankfully. I'm doing better today on the timings.

DIL brought my specs in yesterday with plain glass on the right and my prescription lens still on the left. There's still a big imbalance, though. The work they have done on the right is a superb result. Vision is crystal clear and a whole new world of colour. However, I discovered that if I just look with my left eye, I can see (apart from the cataract causing an almost filter effect). If I just look with the right eye, I can see perfectly, but it's also bigger! There lies the root of the imbalance. It is improving, but seeing things in 2 different sizes is confusing for the brain. No wonder my consultant said the left will be done sooner rather than later. They have told me to mask one eye if it gets to be too much.
My other concern yesterday was that I couldn't find a focal point to read with the right eye. I know that I'll need glasses, at least for reading, but that can't happen until 6 weeks after eye 2 is done. I noticed this morning, though, that I'm beginning to get an improvement in close focus with the right eye. Long may that continue!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hug for the ongoing problems with your eyes, maglil but there is a reason for optimism that things will be much better soon. Keep up the good work with the eye drops.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I just look with the right eye, I can see perfectly, but it's also bigger! There lies the root of the imbalance. It is improving, but seeing things in 2 different sizes is confusing for the brain. No wonder my consultant said the left will be done sooner rather than later. They have told me to mask one eye if it gets to be too much.
Rock that patch and be the coolest grandma in town!

1670176032768.png

I know that I'll need glasses, at least for reading, but that can't happen until 6 weeks after eye 2 is done.
What about buying a pair of those very cheap reading glasses to see you through while waiting?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kittens decided it was time to expand their horizon and crawled out of the bench through the somewhat larger hole at te top!
They're still afraid of me but they have explored the whole room and eaten well, I think they'll be fine!

1670176812415.png

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rock that patch and be the coolest grandma in town!

View attachment 57896

What about buying a pair of those very cheap reading glasses to see you through while waiting?
I already have that in mind once eye 2 is done. Currently, my eyesight is changing daily, so I've to hang fire for at least 4 weeks until the optician does a report. It's a "sleeve" thing that I can slide back and forward across any lens. I understand they are used for "lazy eye" but it certainly helps with the imbalance. The boys are entertained with a pirate Nana!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 I'm a veteran of various eye surgeries and I can only emphasise that you must be patient. It will take time for eyes to adapt and even longer for your brain to adapt to the changes. When I moaned to my surgeon about my eyes, he pointed out that as an intelligent woman it was my brain that was constantly trying to react. If I had been less intelligent my brain would have settled for less more quickly, basically it was overworking because it could! I was flattered but still frustrated!
Give it a few more weeks yet. Just because theres no pain, we tend to think nothing has happened, but the changes are huge.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I'm a veteran of various eye surgeries and I can only emphasise that you must be patient. It will take time for eyes to adapt and even longer for your brain to adapt to the changes. When I moaned to my surgeon about my eyes, he pointed out that as an intelligent woman it was my brain that was constantly trying to react. If I had been less intelligent my brain would have settled for less more quickly, basically it was overworking because it could! I was flattered but still frustrated!
Give it a few more weeks yet. Just because theres no pain, we tend to think nothing has happened, but the changes are huge.
What's getting me is the imbalance is making me nauseous. I suppose it's a bit like seasickness. It's made worse for me as my balance is already impaired because of my spinal injuries. So, seeing things different sizes it making it worse. The vision in the operated eye is brilliant. I'll speak to the optician when I go for the hospital test and see if they can offer a temporary correction with specs if it is still the same. I have the dentist on Thursday, and he's a good bit from my home. I reckon that even although it will take a while, I'll be going by bus!

• Hug
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 todays kitten report please :cat:
Here you go!

Play, sleep, eat, repeat. :joyful:

Very good at climbing they are too, and my living room has lots of climbing stuff.
Later this week I'll get a Christmas tree for them to climb!

1670281936558.png

1670282027374.png

Also, yesterday was Sinterklaas and I got a wonderful present!
I get to unwrap a new surprise book every month for a year, so it will be Sinterklaas all year!

Apart from this present, I also recieved various gifts with poems through the mail from friends and family, it was a very happy day!

The surprise I made was a great success too, my friend navigated the pitch black labyrinth and we had great fun!

1670282838234.png

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 yes it's not pleasant is it? I spent quite a few weeks and months closing one eye trying to make sense of what I was seeing. It will get easier, promise!

@Antje77 todays kitten report please :cat:
I'm seeing the optician on 30 December, exactly 4 weeks post op. My hospital appointment is 6 weeks after that, so if they can do a correction with the specs, I'll take it regardless of cost. Today, if I get my specs in a certain position, I can see a single combined image looking forward, but peripheral vision is still 2 images. I almost taped my specs in place, but I need to be able to pop them on the end of my nose to read! As you say, it's a case of closing one of the eyes. Pretty soon, I'll be perfecting pirate speak!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely not enough kitten and puppy pics.
Shame on you @Antje77 and @Annb
My apologies!

Yesterday they discovered a nap in a lap is just the best thing. :happy:

1670533509595.png

And today I bought them a christmas tree, which turned out to be much bigger in my small living room than it looked outside at the store!
It's also my first time ever buying a chrismas tree, I'm not too fond of them usually. But I thought it would be the perfect thing to combine with kittens. :hilarious:

1670533771063.png

The kittens haven't climbed it yet, but just now there suddenly was this, next to a sleeping kitten, no idea how he managed that! :joyful:

Question: what are those balls in the tree called in English? In Dutch it's a kerstbal, and google translate tells me it's a christmas ball, which I thing is a dance at christmas and not something you decorate your tree with.

1670534046256.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My apologies!

Yesterday they discovered a nap in a lap is just the best thing. :happy:

View attachment 57991

And today I bought them a christmas tree, which turned out to be much bigger in my small living room than it looked outside at the store!
It's also my first time ever buying a chrismas tree, I'm not too fond of them usually. But I thought it would be the perfect thing to combine with kittens. :hilarious:

View attachment 57992

The kittens haven't climbed it yet, but just now there suddenly was this, next to a sleeping kitten, no idea how he managed that! :joyful:

Question: what are those balls in the tree called in English? In Dutch it's a kerstbal, and google translate tells me it's a christmas ball, which I thing is a dance at christmas and not something you decorate your tree with.

View attachment 57993
It's called a bauble.

Those kittens are going to enjoy living with you. I do hope the enjoyment is mutual.

I have asked for pictures of the pups, but so far none have materialised. There is a picture of Em holding a tiny pup, but it was a printout onto ordinary paper and has been thoroughly folded and creased so the scan was almost unidentifiable. It was quite dark as well, so wasn't any use. I'll keep asking.

• Friendly
Reactions: MrsA2 and Antje77