"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my 18 outdoor guinea pigs has somewhat crooked feet and nails. No problem, she can walk on them just fine, but dirt sticks to it, turning into a rock hard ball at the end of her legs. Very hurtful to clean too.
So I had decided this old lady needed to move indoors with a friend.
I had a cage of 95x50 cm and asked the experts if that was big enough for 2 guinea pigs. The verdict was not really, especially as they are used to a large area.

So now I'm the proud owner of a living/sleeping room of which half the floor space consists of guinea pig cage!
My other roommates seem to like it as well, so all is well. :)

180x90 cm is surely big enough for 2 or 3 guinea piggies!

256793911_10224653165390894_8033074252580516830_n.jpg

258158238_10224653709444495_7605860603974419052_n.jpg

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my 18 outdoor guinea pigs has somewhat crooked feet and nails. No problem, she can walk on them just fine, but dirt sticks to it, turning into a rock hard ball at the end of her legs. Very hurtful to clean too.
I had a cage of 95x50 cm and asked the experts if that was big enough for 2 guinea pigs. The verdict was not really, especially as they are used to a large area.

So now I'm the proud owner of a living/sleeping room of which half the floor space consists of guinea pig cage!

I see both cat and dog look very interested in what is going on inside that pen. The new guinea pig home looks pretty palatial.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Early hours again - or rather late night. I went to bed at 10.30 pm but had to get up again at midnight. I had tried making a backrest from pillows but, honestly, nobody has ever seen anything more pathetic than me trying to get into the bed in the right position to use the backrest. Then the pillows all collapsed anyway. By the time I got into the bed I was puffing and panting like some old steam train pulling into a hilltop station! It unsettled me so much that I couldn't rest and get my breath back. So, I gave up at midnight and came through to the kitchen and checked the forum on my laptop. Might put the TV on, but I don't think there is much to amuse me until I can sleep.

Em came in again and continued the "project" she started working on yesterday (a "Bot" made out of card) and she will be back tomorrow afternoon but on Saturday she's going to the mainland with her mum to get new school clothes which will, with any luck, last until summer uniform comes in in April. 2 of my great grandchildren came in yesterday to pick Em up and walk home with her. I don't see them often and was surprised how much improved they are - they were pretty badly behaved in the past, especially the 8 year-old little girl, but seem to have quietened down considerably, I'm glad to say.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
DIL came in to pick Em up this evening along with Em's niece - the recently quietened down 8 year old. I'm told that Em's teacher, during a parent/teacher video call, said that she has the "potential to be quite a prodigy, if she could be bothered to focus". Good to hear that someone else thinks she's pretty smart, but unfortunate that she still doesn't bother to focus. It's Neil all over again!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

They'll be fine - our guinea pig lived in a cage half that size for about 8 years until he died - so I don't think it done him any harm as I think the average lifespan of a guinea pig is 4 years and lived until he was 8!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always check the dates on all my food I buy at the supermarkets - just a habit I have I suppose but probably because I have bought stuff before that didn't have a long date and I have a thing about freshness with food too - the longer the date - the longer it will last and the fresher it will be - is it maybe just me or does anyone else go to the back of the piles and check the dates when they are buying their food - I wonder? :)

It has actually put me off doing online shopping as I hate it when I get something which has to be used the next day or the day after which sometimes I found happened when I have done online shopping tbh it annoyed me - again maybe just me?
Nope, I go to the back too. I'm cautious with my online deliveries and make sure I don't order stuff that can be short dated.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to mention yesterday in the other thread, that the face mask I have on is part of a indigenous Australian story of the dreamtime. It's about the "Rainbow Serpent" and I have put a wiki link to it, interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Serpent

ofKb3LN.jpg
Going back a few years but I believe the livery of one of the Qantas Jumbo Jets was dreamtime. My niece gave me a folding shopper when she was over to help care for my brother. It has aboriginal pattern all over - I use it constantly.

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm thinking of buying one of those pillows that prop you up in bed so that I can go to sleep in my bed sitting up. A straightforward pile of pillows doesn't work - I just slump down from them and end up desperate for breath again. A straightforward back support would have the same effect. I'm thinking of, perhaps, one of those inverted "V" shaped pillows, or even a thing that looks like the top part of an armchair. Has anyone tried either of those?
I have. They're very comfortable. I also got them for my Mum and sister when they were ill. They seem to support at the spine as well.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have. They're very comfortable. I also got them for my Mum and sister when they were ill. They seem to support at the spine as well.

Is that the "V" shaped cushion @maglil55? Or the other thing I was thinking of - like the back and arms of an armchair? I have to do something soon, my daytime is really beginning to suffer from lack of uninterrupted sleep.

Nearly 3 am. I've been up for about 50 minutes. Went to bed at midnight with BG 12.9 - up to 14.8 by 2 am.

Must make a start on the mincemeat for DIL today, so I can spend some time checking on dried fruit in the cupboard. I know I have raisins and cranberries. Also some apricots. Plenty of pistachios (other nuts as well but pistachios are the ones I know she can eat). I have apples, but they are Pink Ladies which might not be the best - should really be Bramleys. Oranges and lemons I have too. I don't think I have any cherries though, neither glace, dried nor fresh. So that's Bramleys and some kind of cherries for the shopping list tomorrow. I can still soak the dried fruit today though - in ordinary, unscented tea; she recently had a really severe reaction to Rosehip tea. It will be a start. Might make some extra and use it myself.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to do something soon, my daytime is really beginning to suffer from lack of uninterrupted sleep.
When was the last time you spoke with your doctor about your sleep being affected so much by breathing problems?
Can it be your medication needs adjustment, or it's time for a doctor to have a good look at your heart?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When was the last time you spoke with your doctor about your sleep being affected so much by breathing problems?
Can it be your medication needs adjustment, or it's time for a doctor to have a good look at your heart?

I have had Xrays, US scans, ECGs, blood tests within the last 6 months. There doesn't seem to be anything to find, except my excess weight and possible long covid. Some of the lack of sleep must be simply that I have got out of the habit of sleeping but, other than taking some kind of sleep inducing medication (perish the thought!) I don't think anyone has any suggestions. It seems to run in the family - Neil has similar problems but his doctors say it's due to his circadian rhythm being on a 25/6 hour cycle rather than the normal 24.

I always used to sleep like a log for a full 8 hours a night, but this has all changed in the last few years. I have an idea that it was one of the things that started happening when I was nursing my husband - I used to sleep on a couch beside his hospital style bed so that I was there when he needed me, so I slept less well than I used to when younger. But I did sleep and after his passing, I got back to my old pattern for a while until my arthritis got bad enough to keep me awake and then came the breathing problems... Old age, I guess, but I will try to get something that will assist - other than drugs.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to my brother on the phone and discovered that he sleeps better sitting up in bed, so he uses a "V" shaped pillow and recommends it. He doesn't have a problem with his breathing but just finds it more comfortable. Surprised to hear that we share dislikes (phobias) that we've never spoken about before. Claustrophobia/certain foods/having arms tucked under the bed covers. He just faces up to his claustrophobia and has had to crawl around in cramped spaces during his work as an engineer. I have failed to force myself to go through perfectly safe spaces and had to be left isolated in very dim light in caves in Hastings, until someone came back to fetch me. Wimp!

Just had a phone call from the breast consultant in Inverness. They have, after all, found cancerous cells but they are not sure if they are aggressive or not, so more tests and consultations are required, but it looks like - to be safe - we are looking at a mastectomy. That's OK, I can do without one, or even both, these days. I'll hear from the hospital about a further appointment next week.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received an early Christmas present - an under counter freezer, from No 2 Son's family. So very kind of them. It arrived with a huge, fairy lit bow and a red ribbon. Em, of course, stripped the bow and ribbon off and stood rubbing her hands along the fabric, scattering red and white glitter all over the kitchen floor. Neil was not best pleased. Like his Dad, he hates anything sticky and/or glittery so has just spent half an hour vacuuming and wiping the floor with damp tissues. I daresay the floor will be glittery for days yet. But what a lovely surprise.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a nice stash of low sugar pineapple jelly made, it was the only flavour available on last weeks shopping list.

Nice and cold on my insides, not to bad a taste either although I do prefer my favourite lemon.

HJumgg0.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the nutrition info for the lite jellies.

Nutrition Information
Servings Per Package: 8
Serving Size: 125g
  • Quantity Per Serving
  • Quantity Per 100g / 100mL
  • Energy
  • Approx.31kJ
  • Approx.24kJ
  • Protein
  • Approx.1.6g
  • Approx.1.2g
  • Fat, Total
  • Approx.0g
  • Approx.0g
  • – Saturated
  • Approx.0g
  • Approx.0g
  • Carbohydrate
  • Approx.0.1g
  • Approx.0.1g
  • – Sugars
  • Approx.0g
  • Approx.0g
  • Dietary Fibre
  • -
  • -
  • Sodium
  • Approx.24mg
  • Approx.19mg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've moved over to this thread now - it's not really about food:

I first heard the "2 front teeth" song almost exactly 72 years ago when my parents took me to see a Christmas pantomime in Croydon. And it has stuck ever since! Also, as I remember, it was the first time I saw/heard a band of harmonic players - can't remember what they called themselves now. I was fascinated.

Edited to add: Just struck me - that was in 1949, just coming out of the war years and serious austerity. The pantomime was "Aladin" and the other song that I learned that evening was "There's a hold in my bucket.." That stuck as well. It was magical. My goodness, I am getting old!

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a phone call from the breast consultant in Inverness. They have, after all, found cancerous cells but they are not sure if they are aggressive or not, so more tests and consultations are required, but it looks like - to be safe - we are looking at a mastectomy. That's OK, I can do without one, or even both, these days. I'll hear from the hospital about a further appointment next week.
What an unwelcome news, I'm so sorry!
I wanted to react yesterday, got distracted and forgot about it, only for you to haunt my dreams!
They were nice dreams by the way, despite me feeling guilty for forgetting to react in my dream. You were just as nice in my dream as your granddaughter seems to think you are. :)

I had to look up the thread today to see if I dreamt your whole post too, disappointed to see the part on the cancerous cells was not just my imagination. :(
I admire your stoic approach on 'doing without', and I'm very happy this is not something which is something like unacceptable for you, which would have made things much harder. On the other hand, an operation like that can't be easy on your body, especially with your other health issues.
I have my fingers crossed they can help you with minimal issues for you!

My household has its own little drama's. Just last week I bough a giant guinea pig pen for in the living room to house an elderly guinea pig with foot problems so she wouldn't have to spend the winter outdoors.
I moved her in with another guinea pig to keep her company.
This morning I found her in one of the hiding places. At least her last days were comfortable.

I've put another guinea pig in with the remaining one, as I don't dare put it back outside now it's gotten used to warmer surroundings, so I now have two indoor guinea pigs who didn't need it! :banghead:
Still, I like watching them, so it's not really a bad thing. :)

Reactions: maglil55