"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil reckons I'm wasting my time and energy trying to get my shopping delivered. Tesco's website is a bit of a pain to use when you want to change the order. Also it can be a disastrous delivery like yesterday's - not Tesco's fault, I'm sure, just our less than perfect ferry service these days. He also reckons I shouldn't try buying ready made meals. They're bound to have ingredients I wouldn't use. But he doesn't have to drag himself around the kitchen trying to cook a proper meal. However, going by what has been delivered in the way of ready made - he has a very good point and much of it will possibly end up in the bin!

So, I've cancelled the order I did have for half way through December, and Neil will go back to doing the shopping in Tescos for me. I was just trying to save him the effort (but I suspect he actually quite enjoys doing it - not so much the actual shopping, but being useful).

I went out yesterday to a parent and children's event and this time spent the whole time in the wheelchair, so had to be helped from the car into the building and then back into the car later. I can still drive, although I wasn't comfortable doing it. I hate having to be assisted to get around and/or to do simple tasks. I know people are only too willing to help, although at the moment, I find it hard to be on the receiving end but, to be honest, the alternative is just to sit in the house and go nowhere. Anyway, end result: today I am completely shattered and having to take painkillers just to keep going. And that's just after sitting in a wheelchair all afternoon.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m very keen to see your surprise, is it something I could copy for my granddaughters who have 4 guinea pigs? I hope it’s acceptable to post a sewing recipe too.
Thought I'd better take it to the parallel thread before I land myself in trouble for going too far off topic. I'm afraid the spoonful of clotted cream I've had since my sausage isn't enough to make multiple pictures of socks-turned-guinea-pig count as on topic! :hilarious:

This is my prototype. I think the eyes should be a little more to the back but that's ok. All in all, it's pretty effective! :)
Please ignore the cat hair, my cat likes to sleep in my sock drawer!
(Trying to find as good an excuse for the rest of the mess in the pictures but can't come up with something even remotely believable. :sorry::D)

262065844_10224713237332655_3733900787368695379_n.jpg

262578999_10224713229412457_3239525672186794169_n.jpg

And here are two more. I'll sew on the ears once I've filled them with a present and straw, as it's easier to see the right position when they're filled.

I am also now the owner of a very cool two-coloured pair of glittery socks!

261420892_10224713237732665_1099459438876586415_n.jpg

A nice surprise was finding out the heel of the sock makes a natural butt, so if you sew the sock closed on the underside you'll get a hint of back legs!

262049549_10224713272973546_6400502337435303981_n.jpg

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Important lesson learned today.
I've been on metformin for 3 weeks now. 500mg first week, 1000 after that. I usually take one between noon and 2pm and one between midnight and 2am.
Yesterday afternoon I forgot, so I took it at around 8pm, and the other one at the usual time.

Bad, very bad decision.

Anyway, the washing machine is doing its thing now, and I'll have a nice freshly made bed tonight!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I'd better take it to the parallel thread before I land myself in trouble for going too far off topic. I'm afraid the spoonful of clotted cream I've had since my sausage isn't enough to make multiple pictures of socks-turned-guinea-pig count as on topic! :hilarious:

This is my prototype. I think the eyes should be a little more to the back but that's ok. All in all, it's pretty effective! :)
Please ignore the cat hair, my cat likes to sleep in my sock drawer!
(Trying to find as good an excuse for the rest of the mess in the pictures but can't come up with something even remotely believable. :sorry::D)

262065844_10224713237332655_3733900787368695379_n.jpg

262578999_10224713229412457_3239525672186794169_n.jpg

And here are two more. I'll sew on the ears once I've filled them with a present and straw, as it's easier to see the right position when they're filled.

I am also now the owner of a very cool two-coloured pair of glittery socks!

261420892_10224713237732665_1099459438876586415_n.jpg

A nice surprise was finding out the heel of the sock makes a natural butt, so if you sew the sock closed on the underside you'll get a hint of back legs!

262049549_10224713272973546_6400502337435303981_n.jpg

Haha I Love them! I think I’ll get the girls to make them with me rather than giving a surprise. How have you done the ears? Just snipped a bit off the cuff?
Dennis’ toy box is full of odd socks so I’ve plenty to practice on. Memo to myself: better not leave the guinea pig surprises where he can find them, he loves a sock more than any fancy toy.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How have you done the ears? Just snipped a bit off the cuff?
Yup.
The fraying edges only makes them more guinea pig like! :)
I think I’ll get the girls to make them with me rather than giving a surprise.
Perfect idea!
I've made the noses using one of those blunt embroidery needles with a big hole, much better for the fingers!
If you're as good at sewing as I am, you might want to keep your glucose meter at hand when doing the eyes, I had plenty opportunities to take a 'free' glucose check...

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a call from the breast surgeon in Inverness with the recommendation from the Glasgow meeting. The opinion of the team is that what I have is a slow growing cancer of the fatty tissue which needs to be removed, but a full mastectomy shouldn't be required - just enough to remove the lump and surrounding tissue. I'll be getting another appointment in the next couple of weeks in Inverness but I think that will be just to talk about what will be done, I don't think it will to actually get it done. I'd rather they just went ahead and did it, so I don't have to go back yet again. Still, I'll just go along with what the surgeon says. Good news, anyway. It's not as bad as it could have been.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
just enough to remove the lump and surrounding tissue. I'll be getting another appointment in the next couple of weeks in Inverness but I think that will be just to talk about what will be done, I don't think it will to actually get it done. I'd rather they just went ahead and did it, so I don't have to go back yet again.
That's very good news!
Can you let them know the traveling isn't easy for you and ask if it would be possible to skip the preliminary appointment or do that over the phone? You never know, thay might be happy with this.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I did ask the surgeon, but he said he would prefer to see me face to face first. I'll ask his secretary again when she calls to make the appointment. It's surprising because most younger doctors seem to prefer online consultations and this one is pretty young - well - he looks it to me. I'd bet he's a good 15 or more years younger than my sons.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
The fraying edges only makes them more guinea pig like! :)

Perfect idea!
I've made the noses using one of those blunt embroidery needles with a big hole, much better for the fingers!
If you're as good at sewing as I am, you might want to keep your glucose meter at hand when doing the eyes, I had plenty opportunities to take a 'free' glucose check...

Haha thanks for the tip re glucose meter - I’m rubbish at sewing and have been known to staple the hems of my jeans up!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em's art supplies arrived in the post today so, as soon as she came in she settled down to painting a huge sunflower for me. Not accurate, but a bright, happy image all the same. Better way to pass her time here than watching videos on my little tablet and, who knows, she may develop some skill with paint and brushes. She is entranced at the moment with the range of colours in her acrylics pack.

Reactions: MrsA2

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have got a new pie shop Paradise Bakehouse out at Moore Park Beach, Vietnamese Australians own it. going to try them out one of these days to see how carby they are.;)

They won several medals in the greatest pie competition.

https://www.facebook.com/Paradise-Bakehouse-105186901747145/

First day of summer today (01.12 21), local radio stations have already started to play ****** xmas songs. The one that gets up my nose every year is that Irish feller doing that partridge up a pear tree song. :meh:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - that's good news. Hopefully you can get some movement on your other issues as well but I feel for you over the journey. It takes so much planning.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - that's good news. Hopefully you can get some movement on your other issues as well but I feel for you over the journey. It takes so much planning.

I can't think about arrangements until I have a date but I can see it's going to be a bit difficult. DIL is starting her new job and can't then just take a day off. If I have to go with Neil, it has to be the car on the ferry because he won't get photographic identity, so he can't fly.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually felt up to doing some cooking today. The sausages that I had this brunch time were out of a packet of 8, so I had 6 left over with which I made a sausage casserole and some meatballs in tomato sauce - that's 4 meals to go into the freezer. Not that there is much space in the freezer, despite getting the new little one. Probably need to get one of the fish pie bases out to eat tomorrow, that will allow one more space for a serving. The new freezer is more than half full with ice creams and other dessert type things for Em - really stocked up with that last order from Tesco. That plus the soya margarine that we have to buy in bulk for Neil and there's very little space left.