"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There were some German (I think) tourists there but they gave us some very odd looks and departed very rapidly.
They must have thought they'd encountered some crazy wannabe druids about to sacrifice their goats and maybe their children too! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

They're probably still talking about the day they managed to escape the English witches!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the goat tale @Annb , what a memorable day out. I’m still laughing at the thought of the perplexed German visitors and @Antje77 ‘s take on their response.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the goat tale @Annb , what a memorable day out. I’m still laughing at the thought of the perplexed German visitors and @Antje77 ‘s take on their response.

I'm pretty sure that @Antje77 is right and they did think they had happened across some sort of druidic sacrifice. That's why we were all so giggly. We probably did look pretty much like aged hippies - it was back in the late 70's.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just now, I'm at the kind of stage I try to avoid. I know I have tickets and paperwork to take with me, but I'm not sure where they all are and I'm scrabbling around for them. I did 2 lateral flow tests - one on Thursday and one yesterday, but I can't find any trace of the confirming e-mail for the Thursday one - not sure that I actually received it, but I can't remember. Even the 2 previous ones I did seem to have disappeared from my e-mail system but I'm sure I didn't delete them. At least I've just found the tickets and have them tucked away inside my folder with the other bits and pieces I have found.

I'm one of these travellers who want to be at the departure point at least half an hour before needed, just to cover eventualities and I hate to be so disorganised. DIL says she will be here at 0650 to get to the airport at 0715. When I drive, it takes me at least half an hour or 35 minutes, but my son says that's plenty of time! We also have to get the wheelchair into DIL's car and that takes time. So, I'm beginning to get a bit on the frantic side.

I did manage to get through today with only one meal - that's something gone right at least.

Perhaps I should get myself a comforting milky drink and go to bed and forget it all. Who's uptight? Me?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps I should get myself a comforting milky drink and go to bed and forget it all. Who's uptight? Me?
Yes, that sounds like a very sound piece of advice you just gave yourself there!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just phoned an order through to the Red Shed to get some seafood for xmas. Prawns, bugs, sand crabs, scallop meat are a must to go with a baked whole fish if we can get one cooked on the bbq.

131381990_4815841391820707_7917037984837761627_n.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just phoned an order through to the Red Shed to get some seafood for xmas. Prawns, bugs, sand crabs, scallop meat are a must to go with a baked whole fish if we can get one cooked on the bbq.

131381990_4815841391820707_7917037984837761627_n.jpg
What a shame you live too far away for me to make it to your place after delivering a goat in the Netherlands on Christmas eve, sounds like you're having a perfect Christmas dinner!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a shame you live too far away for me to make it to your place after delivering a goat in the Netherlands on Christmas eve, sounds like you're having a perfect Christmas dinner!
According to the world news on SBS last night, it appears that that The Netherlands are / is going into covid lock down mode again.

Hopefully this does not interfere with your plans for the holiday..

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had no idea what bugs were, but looked it up to find they are some kind of lobster. Calling them bugs (and looking at the image on the website) doesn't make me fancy the idea of crustacea any more than before. Good luck with that! I'm sure,though, that your Christmas dinner will be very tasty and hope you enjoy it.

It's 5 am. I'm up, dressed and ready to go, apart from putting my shoes and coat on. I was afraid of going to sleep at the wrong time and then sleeping in so, when I woke at 3 am I got straight up. Got a bit peckish at 4 am so I had a small chicken thigh for my breakfast. I might have to have something else before I go since it will probably be around 2 pm before we can get anything else to eat. Travelling on an empty stomach just doesn't work for me.

Currently on my second cup of tea but I'm probably better not to have any more fluid before we go - also not a good idea when travelling. Only another hour and 45 minutes to wait.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck today @Annb hope everything goes well!
According to the world news on SBS last night, it appears that that The Netherlands are / is going into covid lock down mode again.

Hopefully this does not interfere with your plans for the holiday..
Yes, lockdown again here, and alas, interfering with my plans.
Goat delivery and pre-christmas dinner at my cousin's family will still happen, but christmas dinner with my aunt and uncle won't.
I guess I'll think of something festive to share with the dogs and cats to celebrate so I'll still be in good company!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck today @Annb hope everything goes well!

Yes, lockdown again here, and alas, interfering with my plans.
Goat delivery and pre-christmas dinner at my cousin's family will still happen, but christmas dinner with my aunt and uncle won't.
I guess I'll think of something festive to share with the dogs and cats to celebrate so I'll still be in good company!

Thanks all for the good wishes. Just back from Inverness - the flight over was great but the flight back was not. DIL and I sat one behind the other in single seats on one side of the aisle. Our planes are small and cramped and the service is deteriorating making life a bit more difficult. The seats we were squashed into were narrow and had hardly any leg room so it was quite uncomfortable. But there was live music at the airport. The airport management had put a piano in the departure lounge and hire musicians to entertain the waiting passengers. Today's musician was an all rounder, some jazz, some classical, some modern popular, some old fashioned. Really enjoyed that.

Anyway, what I have is a liposarcoma - stage 1 or 2 (in other words not particularly dangerous unless it is left without treatment. I will have to go back in the new year to get it cut out but I'm glad to say, it will be done under a local anaesthetic, not general. The surgeon doesn't want to risk a general anaesthetic because of my general health but is happy to try to do it with a local one. I'll be glad to get rid of it because it's beginning to be a bit sore now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Heard on the local radio this afternoon - we are losing another ferry. The direct mainland connection to the Isles from Ullapool, is to be dropped and the connection will now be Ullapool-Lochmaddy-Tarbert, so a much longer trip and a stop-over at North Uist on the way. Not sure what that means to incoming freight and/or post. Or tourism, come to that.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for the good wishes. Just back from Inverness - the flight over was great but the flight back was not. DIL and I sat one behind the other in single seats on one side of the aisle. Our planes are small and cramped and the service is deteriorating making life a bit more difficult. The seats we were squashed into were narrow and had hardly any leg room so it was quite uncomfortable. But there was live music at the airport. The airport management had put a piano in the departure lounge and hire musicians to entertain the waiting passengers. Today's musician was an all rounder, some jazz, some classical, some modern popular, some old fashioned. Really enjoyed that.

Anyway, what I have is a liposarcoma - stage 1 or 2 (in other words not particularly dangerous unless it is left without treatment. I will have to go back in the new year to get it cut out but I'm glad to say, it will be done under a local anaesthetic, not general. The surgeon doesn't want to risk a general anaesthetic because of my general health but is happy to try to do it with a local one. I'll be glad to get rid of it because it's beginning to be a bit sore now.

Glad you got there and back safe and sound Ann, and that the news was encouraging.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb glad to read the promising news from Inverness. Hope they don't keep you waiting in the New Year.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The occy health lady from the base hospital brought a couple of shower aids around for me to try out, a chair and a stool.

We could not get the chair in through the shower door as it was about 20 mm too wide, tried all angles of the dangles with that. The stool fits in through the door ok but it did not have arm rests to get off it. So will get that in the new year.

The Nurse Navigator told me I will not be supplied with any of the expensive medical dressings I use unless I apply for NDIS, which I do not want to do as I will loose alot of the stuff I already have.

The Blue Care nurse has just suggested I use tea bags as a replacement for the charcoal dressing, so we have just put six cups on the wound to try it out. An old bush remedy from years ago apparently.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb glad to read the promising news from Inverness. Hope they don't keep you waiting in the New Year.

I get the impression that the surgeon is keen to get on with the job. He said that this kind of cancer is rare and when it occurs it is usually on the trunk or on the leg. Thus such a thing as I have is even more rare. I get the impression that he hasn't done one before. He says it isn't very aggressive but he wants to do it early (before it become stage 3 - migrating elsewhere). Of course, the newest covid flare up might delay things.

How is it that even surgeons look as though they are just out of 6th form these days?

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Very odd. I received a "Countryfile" calendar in the post today. There's no indication of who sent it to me. This is a puzzle and slightly irritating because I'd like to thank whoever it was.

I had one of my melts this morning but then got stuck into wrapping presents and putting together the lucky dip and here it is, 3.30 pm and I haven't even taken my pills yet - probably too late now. I'll have to get some fluids in, at the very least but I'm not really hungry. No 2 son has taken the bag full of presents and will come in later to pick up the lucky dip.

Em was telling me a few days ago that the lucky dip is a tradition in our family and we'd been doing it "forever". I agreed that it has become a tradition but told her that the first time we did it was when she was a baby. She was delighted with the idea that we had founded a tradition in the family in her honour.

Reactions: Antje77

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of you will have read about me going to RBH in Brisbane earlier in the year and staying at the the Annexe Apartment there.

This pix was on their Facebook page mentioning a new food place "the Adonis Bar " to go for a meal when you stay. This pix shows what is on offer for the sweet tooth guests, it's definitely not diabetic friendly though.

267736027_4607052039415271_8407522476493007820_n.jpg

Reactions: Antje77