"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. I read the talk on learning languages with interest. I went to live in Netherlands in 1959 and my future mother-in-law helped me to learn Dutch. I got a job as a nanny after 3 months and could make myself understood. After about 6 months I was pretty fluent and no-one believed I was English, they thought I was German. When I came back to England, I found it very difficult to speak my own language, I had to translate everything back to English because I thought in Dutch. Although I can understand quite a lot of written work, I can't understand much when they speak so quickly. But that was a wonderful period of my life.

Reactions: jpscloud

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. I read the talk on learning languages with interest. I went to live in Netherlands in 1959 and my future mother-in-law helped me to learn Dutch. I got a job as a nanny after 3 months and could make myself understood. After about 6 months I was pretty fluent and no-one believed I was English, they thought I was German. When I came back to England, I found it very difficult to speak my own language, I had to translate everything back to English because I thought in Dutch. Although I can understand quite a lot of written work, I can't understand much when they speak so quickly. But that was a wonderful period of my life.
That's when you realise you've made real progress @RosemaryJackson. When you start to think in the new language instead of your own, that's real progress.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also did some much needed googling on contraception and called two friends to ask about their thoughts on the best way to go. I found the courage to call my GP's surgery to discuss this, not something I'm very comfortable with, only to get a telling off because you need to call between 8 and 10 am if you want to make an appointment. I'll work up the courage again tomorrow morning, I promise! (Posting to hold myself accountable, I can do it.)

To my thinking, the pill has multiple downsides, higher risk because of age, weight, smoking and possibly diabetes, and not getting periods on it would mean I won't be aware when I can stop, which won't be too long at 47, hopefully. And who knows how it will mess with my diabetes?
I think I have my mind made up on contraception but I'm welcoming thoughts and experiences.
Just to add @Antje77

The contraceptive pill is usually prescribed so that a menstrual period happens every month, much like the pattern of a normal menstrual cycle.

IME, the Pill made the monthlies lighter and a lot less painful. I was prescribed the Pill for more than 10 years with no ill effects until my husband had a vasectomy.

It gives you really reliable protection against pregnancy (even if semen gets into the vagina) and you'll know you've reached menopause when you've gone 12 consecutive months without a menstrual period.

Hope you find your chat with the GP helpful and reassuring, whatever you decide.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done today not only for sorting your poly tunnel but also getting back firmly on the wagon.
Sounds like your kefir is doing well - mine is still ahead of our consumption I've frozen some grains in milk but planning to put the current grains on a week long rest in fridge while away. If they don't cope with a week's rest I can defrost the frozen ones. It's definitely a balance making Kefir but we love it and I'm sure it's improved our health.
Thanks! Yes my kefir is doing really well, I have to discard some grains though or it'd be like a scene from a Blob movie with them bursting out of the windows and doors! I feel great on it too, I think it helps with appetite control as well.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! Yes my kefir is doing really well, I have to discard some grains though or it'd be like a scene from a Blob movie with them bursting out of the windows and doors! I feel great on it too, I think it helps with appetite control as well.
Winner 're your grains doing well but also laughed out loud at the Blob movie image it really does feel like that at times. I'm sure you're right on appetite control too. I always also add a few teaspoons of wild Nordic fish oil to my morning kefir and it really fills me up.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I will be making lamb tagine today - just in case I need a 3rd meal but it is really intended for tomorrow. Still very short of space in this kitchen so the only work surface avaiable to me is the glass hob. Shouldn't be a problem but baking is completely out of the question. I have been asked to go to a pot-luck supper on Sunday, which usually involves me making a dessert that I shan't eat but this time it is going to have to be a pot of ratatouille which I already have in the freezer.

Neil tells me that he has a whole shelf of my technical books from college days and he could use the space that they are taking up. All college stuff? Yes, do I want to sort through them? NO! Throw them all out. I'm not even looking at them. Will I regret it? Probably but it must be done. I had forgotten all about them anyway so they would just have mouldered away there until I'm gone and Neil would then throw them out. My brother reached the same decision about all of his technical books (engineering) when they moved house a few months ago.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will be making lamb tagine today - just in case I need a 3rd meal but it is really intended for tomorrow. Still very short of space in this kitchen so the only work surface avaiable to me is the glass hob. Shouldn't be a problem but baking is completely out of the question. I have been asked to go to a pot-luck supper on Sunday, which usually involves me making a dessert that I shan't eat but this time it is going to have to be a pot of ratatouille which I already have in the freezer.

Neil tells me that he has a whole shelf of my technical books from college days and he could use the space that they are taking up. All college stuff? Yes, do I want to sort through them? NO! Throw them all out. I'm not even looking at them. Will I regret it? Probably but it must be done. I had forgotten all about them anyway so they would just have mouldered away there until I'm gone and Neil would then throw them out. My brother reached the same decision about all of his technical books (engineering) when they moved house a few months ago.
Well done on making the hard decisions there, I think the regret is something we expect but don't usually experience. I have done a lot of clearing, still have a lot to do and while I'll keep a few sentimental things the clutter just has to go!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I had an odd night - suddenly felt chills and weirdness at 6pm ish and just let my body send me to bed - watched some you tube videos there and fell asleep until 4am! Got up, drank some water, watched more you tube videos and fell asleep again until 7.30. Felt ok today and did a fair bit of work in the garden, so whatever it was I think I slept it off.

9.30am
Glass kefir, 3 scrambled eggs with butter and 3 slices of bacon

1pm
Pork crackling

5pm
Beef and lamb mince with marrowbone broth

May have some greek yogurt and cream but not very hungry so may not.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Definitely let them go you'll reforget them quite soon once they've gone to another home I'm sure. I'm a great believer now in staying on top of the clutter. I do occasionally think right where did I put that ...... Then realize it went in a clear out but it's very rare now to regret letting it go.
After lots of family deaths over the last 10 years ,of living where we now live, we had almost filled up our loft with stuff we couldn't make decisions about. When mum also sadly died I realised we couldn't keep going like that as otherwise our youngest son would be left to deal with a loft full of stuff so we brought everything down and made some ruthless decisions only keeping very special sentimental things - mainly small things. I involved the boys and asked if they wanted anything and it was so little. Things don't really do it it's the memories and photos that mean the most. In fact we discussed things like favourite teddies with the boys that we'd kept and they had the idea that what they'd like is a photo of them rather than the real teddies and that hopefully they'd raise cash for charity and find new homes. You could always take photo of those books if you'd like the memory.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I had an odd night - suddenly felt chills and weirdness at 6pm ish and just let my body send me to bed - watched some you tube videos there and fell asleep until 4am! Got up, drank some water, watched more you tube videos and fell asleep again until 7.30. Felt ok today and did a fair bit of work in the garden, so whatever it was I think I slept it off.

9.30am
Glass kefir, 3 scrambled eggs with butter and 3 slices of bacon

1pm
Pork crackling

5pm
Beef and lamb mince with marrowbone broth

May have some greek yogurt and cream but not very hungry so may not.
Pleased you slept off the possible bug.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do we accumulate so much stuff? @Annb. I'm a terrible hoarder, but there's only so much clutter a family can make use of.

Thankfully, there are more opportunities to recycle than ever before and I find it easier to donate items to a good cause than contemplate throwing them away, especially if they're of sentimental value.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely let them go you'll reforget them quite soon once they've gone to another home I'm sure. I'm a great believer now in staying on top of the clutter. I do occasionally think right where did I put that ...... Then realize it went in a clear out but it's very rare now to regret letting it go.
After lots of family deaths over the last 10 years ,of living where we now live, we had almost filled up our loft with stuff we couldn't make decisions about. When mum also sadly died I realised we couldn't keep going like that as otherwise our youngest son would be left to deal with a loft full of stuff so we brought everything down and made some ruthless decisions only keeping very special sentimental things - mainly small things. I involved the boys and asked if they wanted anything and it was so little. Things don't really do it it's the memories and photos that mean the most. In fact we discussed things like favourite teddies with the boys that we'd kept and they had the idea that what they'd like is a photo of them rather than the real teddies and that hopefully they'd raise cash for charity and find new homes. You could always take photo of those books if you'd like the memory.

All good advice

Not that this is aimed at @Annb or anyone, just carrying on the conversation.

For me it’s always the thought that is worse (extends to lots of things)

Like your taking a photo example, I too tend to find the memory isn’t bound up in the object either, it’s always in my mind, even if the object might serve as a reminder of the memory.

When I lived alone (and still do with my stuff) I got into the habit of using those big plastic boxes you get with lids and the attic, I’d put a bunch of items into a box, sometimes would make a list, sometimes not. Then after a year, if I hadn’t touched or used or thought about any of the items in the box/es, I would let them go.

Oddly how liberating it felt each time.

I started doing this setting reminders to think about what’s in those boxes in 90 day increments too, because I found that I was just keeping stuff for longer than it needed to be. And yes, I did have to repurchase a few cables over the years but I worked it out as cheaper than “paying” in space to store them in the house. Not to mention the unconscious mental burden.

I did ponder the environmental aspect of this and the excess consumption thing also and came to the conclusion that it didn’t matter where it was located in the world it was still there, I’d already bought the item so that decision was made long ago, and most often I’d donate the thing I wasn’t using so it could potentially be put to use by someone. That only left me with the re-buying a new item if I did indeed need it but this has happened so rarely than the thought that I’d need it in my mind, that it’s never been a massive problem of excessive consumption in itself.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yet another neighbour to save the day yesterday!

This time the one nextdoor. I had a very tightly planned day: First picture taking for my new passport; then the GP appontment on contraception; work on a ship in the city of Franeker; an appointment to request my new passport, also in Franeker; picking up neighbour Tale and neighbour Niels in Harlingen, where they had brought the other ship I worked on this week, leaving their cars in Leeuwarden.
It all perfectly fit, except my car wouldn't start...

I went to the neighbour nextdoor, and she was perfectly happy for me to use her car all day!
Just to add @Antje77

The contraceptive pill is usually prescribed so that a menstrual period happens every month, much like the pattern of a normal menstrual cycle.

IME, the Pill made the monthlies lighter and a lot less painful. I was prescribed the Pill for more than 10 years with no ill effects until my husband had a vasectomy.

It gives you really reliable protection against pregnancy (even if semen gets into the vagina) and you'll know you've reached menopause when you've gone 12 consecutive months without a menstrual period.

Hope you find your chat with the GP helpful and reassuring, whatever you decide.
One of the problems with the contraceptive pill is not forgetting to take it every day at around the same time, I never forget to take my basal insulin (knocks wood), but I can't be trusted at all with daily tablets. So it would have to be the injected variety or the thing in your arm, which means no more periods and not knowing when you've reached menopause.
Not sure why, but I really dislike this idea, and I'd be worried about my diabetes behaving differently due to the hormones. Also, being old, fat, a smoker and diabetic means 4 different reasons why higher doses of hormones aren't recommended.

The chat with the GP was very nice! I had her laugh right away, when she asked what my question was and I bluntly replied: "My neighbour and I drunkenly ended up in bed together a while back and liked it, so we kept it up but we definitely do not want to get a child. So what do we do about it?"
She talked me through all the options and we decided on a copper IUD to be placed on tuesday. She told me it works even when put in up to 5 days after taking risks, "so enjoy yourselves during the weekend!" :hilarious:

Not one to ignore sound medical advice, I took the same precaution with eating crisps before bed to prevent hypos, which worked perfectly last week and the week before, but not this time. :(
My sensor had lost connection at some point during the night so no alarms, and I only felt the hypo when I woke up. Judging from the Libre graph I must have spent over 3 hours in the mid to lower 3's.
I had hoped the trick with the crisps would work well enough to not adjust my basal, because it has been spot on for weeks, except for one night every weekend. But I see no other option now than to start dialling back the Tresiba to make room for topping up with Levemir during the week and skipping the Levemir on nights with my neighbour.

It really is the oddest thing I've ever needed to adjust my doses for! Well worth it though. :happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
All good advice

Not that this is aimed at @Annb or anyone, just carrying on the conversation.

For me it’s always the thought that is worse (extends to lots of things)

Like your taking a photo example, I too tend to find the memory isn’t bound up in the object either, it’s always in my mind, even if the object might serve as a reminder of the memory.

When I lived alone (and still do with my stuff) I got into the habit of using those big plastic boxes you get with lids and the attic, I’d put a bunch of items into a box, sometimes would make a list, sometimes not. Then after a year, if I hadn’t touched or used or thought about any of the items in the box/es, I would let them go.

Oddly how liberating it felt each time.

I started doing this setting reminders to think about what’s in those boxes in 90 day increments too, because I found that I was just keeping stuff for longer than it needed to be. And yes, I did have to repurchase a few cables over the years but I worked it out as cheaper than “paying” in space to store them in the house. Not to mention the unconscious mental burden.

I did ponder the environmental aspect of this and the excess consumption thing also and came to the conclusion that it didn’t matter where it was located in the world it was still there, I’d already bought the item so that decision was made long ago, and most often I’d donate the thing I wasn’t using so it could potentially be put to use by someone. That only left me with the re-buying a new item if I did indeed need it but this has happened so rarely than the thought that I’d need it in my mind, that it’s never been a massive problem of excessive consumption in itself.
My problem has been one of procrastination. I'd tell myself to get rid of excess paperwork but not do it until it became overwhelming (which is what happened lately). When we knew the builders were coming and needed space to work, it had to be done. I'm amazed there is any left now, I got rid of so much. There are still a few filing baskets to go through, but they are out of the way and I really will go through them once the building work is done.

Photos I have an uncountable amount, many of them not identified but I can work it out. Problem is, these days my memory is so unreliable that I need something there to prompt it - a photo or an object. Somehow objects that have lived with this family for generations have a very special feeling. They have become family and I can no more throw them out than I could a brother or a child. That 130 year old tureen represents my mother-in-law and her mother; those huge 120 year old platters almost are my grandmother, in a way. That silver cup for boxing, won by my dad as a 17 year old - nobody wants, but I can't throw it out. How on earth do people take family items to valuation programmes and sell them? I couldn't. Not that any of my heirlooms have any monetary value, you understand.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Productive day in the garden, didn't quite finish a second cut on all the grass but mostly done. Lots of rain forecast for tomorrow, so will maybe do some housework.

10.30am
Glass Kefir
3 eggs with cheese

2pm
Pork puffs

5pm
Beef mince with marrowbone broth
Greek yogurt and cream

I'm looking forward to the end of April when I will introduce some cauliflower and see how I do on that.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all will be out of touch on the forum for a week while I'm travelling - I'm so looking forward to a break. Cases nearly packed and taxi booked for the morning. @jpscloud I've started my kefir grains on a week long rest in fridge. I'll take some food photos of meals while away and do a little summary when back. I'm sure I'll stay broadly low carb but will definitely enjoy myself too.
Take care you guys talk in a week's time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all will be out of touch on the forum for a week while I'm travelling - I'm so looking forward to a break. Cases nearly packed and taxi booked for the morning. @jpscloud I've started my kefir grains on a week long rest in fridge. I'll take some food photos of meals while away and do a little summary when back. I'm sure I'll stay broadly low carb but will definitely enjoy myself too.
Enjoy!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed my kefir is doing a second ferment in the fridge now! It is an old cranky fridge but it does seem to be really cold, maybe the kefir is just very lively or maybe it's really time to get a new fridge freezer! Your idea of a frozen back up is a really good one, I'm going to do that too whenever I'm away.