What if you body can't take a lot of fat?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
In my opinion eating high amounts of fat is absolutely not necessary.

If you cut the carbs in your diet by any amount without adding any fat you will automatically be increasing the percentage of fat in your diet because the percentage of carbs is reduced.

I lost 4 stones in my first year as a diabetic just by cutting the amount of food I ate generally and the amount of carbs quite considerably, down to around 60g a day in fact, after the first year because of my weight loss I found I could eat more carbs and stay within safe bg levels and I increased the amount of carbs up to around 80g to 100g a day. I lost a further stone the following year and have maintained that 5 stone (70lb) now for over 6 years.

Now 7 years on I eat a fairly normal diet although I still try not to eat too many carbs but I stopped counting them years ago, I still take 2 x metformin a day but I have no doubt that I could stop taking them if I so wished but I am happy to still take them for their other health benefits.

At NO TIME did I ever increased the fat in my diet, in fact when ever I did try to in my first year when I was losing a lot of weight my weight loss stalled. I actually believe the term LCHF is totally misleading and Reduced Carb would be far better and would go a long way to helping those who need to lose weight achieve their targets.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the only time I increased fat intake deliberately (which was after reading some nonsense on here about stimulating fat burning or some such drivel) I started to put weight on, so that experiment ended pronto.

Not eating Low Fat does not mean High Fat.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Misleading or not, I wish someone had said LCHF to me years ago when I realised I was pre-diabetic. It was something I took a long time to discover for myself and only learnt that others were doing it too when I joined this forum 2 1/2 years ago. I was misled when I first got here by someone advising me to count calories as well as low carb. That didn't work for me. It's for each of us to find out what's best for ourselves by trial and error.

If something doesn't work for you , then don't continue doing it. We can only advise on what has worked for us. What is important is that we share our experiences. Also we didn't choose the acronym on this forum, it's known world wide so I don't see that discussing the name is that helpful because when newbies google it's LCHF that they will find.

Compared with my long ago days of scraping a tiny amount of low fat spread onto my wholemeal toast the amount of fats I consume now is high, so I did need to increase my fats. This 'high' might be the same as someone else's starting point, so they might not need to do so. It's all relative. I would say though that apart from a specific injury my general aches and pains in my joints have gone since increasing my fat intake so I'm happy that the increased fats are doing me good.

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I think that perhaps if we thought of HF as being HEALTHY fat, not high fat we would make the right choices automatically. IE butter instead of low fat spread, full fat ( Greek) yoghurt instead of low fat chemically sweetened stuff, as many eggs as we wish, any variety of cheese that we like to eat instead of the artificial low-fat kind etc i.e natural fats in sensible sized portions. Works for me!

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
trial and error. find what combination/foods work best for YOU. good luck. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that perhaps if we thought of HF as being HEALTHY fat, not high fat we would make the right choices automatically. IE butter instead of low fat spread, full fat ( Greek) yoghurt instead of low fat chemically sweetened stuff, as many eggs as we wish, any variety of cheese that we like to eat instead of the artificial low-fat kind etc i.e natural fats in sensible sized portions. Works for me!

I'd agree with your statement. If questioned by others, I will refer to my way of eating as reduced carbs with enough fat.

The two words, high and fat, when used together in that order, are a real red rag/red flag to lots of folks. This and other diabetes fora are the only places I ever use LCHF, and that's only because it is "local parlance".

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is weird, really, the amount of stress that the HF thing causes.

I mean, when people say 'I'm on a High Protein Diet', everyone says 'Cool! Must be body building. No issues with the kidneys? Excellent! Go for it!'
- and they are thinking 'this guy eats steak quite often'

Whereas, when people say 'I'm on LCHF', people say 'Whoa! Is that safe? What about your arteries! You need a Dietician! Saturated fat kills!'
- and they are thinking 'this guy bathes in lard and mainlines dripping'. Which is ludicrous.
- every one of those 'risk' misconceptions has now been disproved by respected studies and the debunking of the various Fat Myths that were the cause of the low fat high carb fad over the past 30+ years.

I am not saying we should all stuff fat, but I do think we should all stop stressing about it and check our facts before letting our knee jerk reactions raise our stress levels - which probably causes more damage than eating the fat in the first place! lol.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I've been trying LCHF for a few weeks now and I'm finding that when I eat high fat food whether it's dairy or pate for example I feel really sick. Can I reduce my carbs and not eat so much fat and it still be beneficial?
Reducing carbs is always a good idea. You also need to get enough energy into you system and too much protein can raise BG too and possibly be bad for you kidneys. If you've been low fat for a long time it can take a while for your gall bladder to get used to the job.

The important thing, apart from keeping BG as close to normal as is reasonable, is to eat proper food and enjoy it. It's really very simple once you get the hang of it. The Dietdoctor's advice easy to understand and to follow. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone, I had got myself convinced I needed high fat foods for this to work. What a relief. Such a helpful site .Brilliant