Type 1 What insulin amount requirement is 'abnormal' for a toddler?

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Hi to all. Maybe the question is weird but what is the abnormal insulin requirement for a toddler (14 MO) ?

My son takes 25 IU per day and around 10 IU is basal insulin (has CGM with Insulin Pump).

He is 14 months old, around 10 kg, 75 cm. We find it more than average for his age (like 10 IU total).

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone is different, some need more, some need less, as long as your son is taking an amount to keep his levels as good as you can then does it really matter - it's not as if you can suddenly make him need less :)

I went on a carb counting course earlier in the year and there you could blatantly see everyone was on different amounts (ranging from a 1:2 ratio to 1:50 ratio for carbs) - I realise we were all adults there but its showed the massive differences there can be. I know at least a couple of the people there were taking 3 times the basal that I take.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @DanisV, Talking in general terms and from my experience as a diabetic from ages 13 through to now 65 years old:
Many variables like diet, growth rate etc etc influence insulin dose. Your son's doctor will be able to interpret your son's CGM results, weight ect and let you know whether your son's current insulin requirements are appropriate.

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Thank you for replies. @Rokaab: his carb ratio is also low 1:5 -1:15. It is a bit unusual. @kitedoc: our doc is surprised and never seen that in career...:( I just hope it is growth reaction.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @DanisV, I cannot comment directly but just mention that in teenagerhood I would experience growth spurts where insulin requirements would increase up to three fold.
Of course one cannot compare the two age groups directly.
I wonder if the range of carb ratios you mention relate to the type of carbs eaten.
As reference perhaps look at mendosa.com and read the definitions of Glycaemic Index (GI) and Glycaemic Load (GL) and then look at Glycaemic Values.
My query for you and his doctor is whether carbs with a high GI/GL value need more insulin than the same sugar content in low GI/GL foods?