What is Gelatin, and why do we need it?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48119588

Report in yeterdays BBC news regarding how sweet mnufacturrs are replacing gelatin in their products because it is an animal product, It seems to be a common ingredient in processed foods, and the question is whether the substitution by seaweed products will matter to the general populace. Having been forced to try ice cream that used this new set of ingredients, I can say that apart from the added 30g of sugar, it was tasteless and not at all appetising, but then I am only a sample of n=1.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Before I click on an unknown link @Oldvatr can you please explain what it is and why you are sharing?

M

Member496333

Further cements the ridiculousness of the entire processed food industry. Taking animal products out of sweets in a bid to save the planet and everyone on it :hilarious:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read this when it was published.
In what way is it diabetes related?

You seem to start threads on many food related articles in the media and I do not understand why.
I am curious and wanting to learn as much as I can about diabetes from the very experienced guys on the forum.
I am a diabetic on orals, and what I put into my mouth is important to my maintaining control over my condition. I noted that carrageenan and agar agar increase the carbohydrate content of these foods compared to the original ingredient. As an LC dieter this is important to me. It also seems that the swapout needs to have added sugars over what i would have expected, Sweets and ice cream may be extreme for diabetics anyway, so you could argue it is irrelevant. However, gelatin is used in other meals for gravy thickening, and in baking, so that is why I posted here under general food, since others may also be using this product and may not be aware that it is slowly being replaced and possibly phased out altogether.

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

I for one find the subject interesting and I think it’s entirely relevant to anyone with an interest in nutrition.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Further cements the ridiculousness of the entire processed food industry. Taking animal products out of sweets in a bid to save the planet and everyone on it :hilarious:

Oh the irony.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has been posted in the 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' sub-forum of 'Food and Nutrition' which quite clearly states that food can be discussed and not one of the sub-forums underneath 'Diabetes Discussion'.

Whilst I have no problem with making more products accessible to those who choose any of the various lifestyles and ways of eating by creating alternative varieties I don't agree that should be at the detriment of existing products for people who have not made that choice. Usually this lesson is only learned after something is changed and it hits them in their revenue.

D

Deleted Account

I am a diabetic on orals, and what I put into my mouth is important to my maintaining control over my condition. I noted that carrageenan and agar agar increase the carbohydrate content of these foods compared to the original ingredient. As an LC dieter this is important to me. It also seems that the swapout needs to have added sugars over what i would have expected, Sweets and ice cream may be extreme for diabetics anyway, so you could argue it is irrelevant. However, gelatin is used in other meals for gravy thickening, and in baking, so that is why I posted here under general food, since others may also be using this product and may not be aware that it is slowly being replaced and possibly phased out altogether.
Thanks @Oldvatr that is really interesting.
It would be great if you could share your knowledge and experience in other threads as well as putting up the links.
You sounds as if you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gelatine is made from bits which would otherwise just get thrown away - nothing is killed solely in order to extract it, so using gelatine rather than the plant based thickeners or setting agents is a good thing - shows respect.

M

Member496333

Gelatine is made from bits which would otherwise just get thrown away - nothing is killed solely in order to extract it, so using gelatine rather than the plant based thickeners or setting agents is a good thing - shows respect.

Agree heartily. Nose to tail and all that. Sadly though there are powerful forces at work which want to see no animal slaughter at all. In my view, business is gearing up for a 100% fake human diet.

Reactions: jjraak

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Oldvatr that is really interesting.
It would be great if you could share your knowledge and experience in other threads as well as putting up the links.
You sounds as if you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share,
I purposefully refrain from placing any comments in the OP since that is liable to colour the future discussion. I am interested in what others think first so that the thread finds its natural progression without prompting from me.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From the original article:
"It might not taste of anything, but gelatin in food does serve a purpose - usually it's used as a thickener or stabiliser in desserts and sweets.But it can also be found in stuff like yogurt, sour cream and margarine, as well as lots of other foods."

So in many processed products, gelatin is a cheap thickener - often used in low fat products as a replacement for fat. Do I care if gelatine or plant equivalent is used in these products? No, because I wouldn't eat them anyway. Full fat yoghurt, cream or butter does not need gelatine/gelatine substitute. There are some traditional food products that contain gelatin, but in most cases it is used in highly processed rubbish.

Quality ice cream does not contain gelatin, so I am not sure why a gelatin substitute would be used.
There is a case for clear labelling so that people know what is in the food that they eat (eg Pig gelatin or Cow gelatin as some people's religion would have problems with eating particular animals.)

Reactions: WuTwo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I purposefully refrain from placing any comments in the OP since that is liable to colour the future discussion. I am interested in what others think first so that the thread finds its natural progression without prompting from me.
At work my Webmaster tells us it is good web practice to explain where a link goes and why - this does not need to colour debate e.g. “BBC report on gelatine replacement”

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well that was a surprise, seeing Percy Pig sweets lol, tbh I have never heard of them, if people are going 'off on one' then I find that a bit of an over reaction.
Reading about Agar, or agar agar, red algae, I think I would rather have that, than actual 'gelatine'. I also like the sound of the Irish seaweed too :) Very informative.

Reactions: WuTwo

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the original article:
"It might not taste of anything, but gelatin in food does serve a purpose - usually it's used as a thickener or stabiliser in desserts and sweets.But it can also be found in stuff like yogurt, sour cream and margarine, as well as lots of other foods."

So in many processed products, gelatin is a cheap thickener - often used in low fat products as a replacement for fat. Do I care if gelatine or plant equivalent is used in these products? No, because I wouldn't eat them anyway. Full fat yoghurt, cream or butter does not need gelatine/gelatine substitute. There are some traditional food products that contain gelatin, but in most cases it is used in highly processed rubbish.

Quality ice cream does not contain gelatin, so I am not sure why a gelatin substitute would be used.
There is a case for clear labelling so that people know what is in the food that they eat (eg Pig gelatin or Cow gelatin as some people's religion would have problems with eating particular animals.)

You omitted chicken and fish as sources too.
Gelatin is a dense protein for a start. It contains the following amino acids - Proline , choline, glycene, and glutamine that are essential in maintaining and synthesising collagen in our bodies. They also help protect muscle.snd joint maintenance. It helps reduce osteoarthtitis and osteoporosis. It is not just a cheap filler, and many vegetarians suffer deficiencies by avoiding it.

My grandparents were bought up to eat the bone marrow from the sunday joint and had specisl spoons to extract it. They also brewed beef broth from the caracass bones, and there were jars of beef or chicken extract available from the chemist to assist patients recover from illness. Not the same as marmite or vegemite at all. You do not get any of this from a supermarket shelf and is one of the aspects of the Old Times that may have actually made sense.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Marmite and vegemite are both vegan products and always have been.
Well that was a surprise, seeing Percy Pig sweets lol, tbh I have never heard of them, if people are going 'off on one' then I find that a bit of an over reaction.
Reading about Agar, or agar agar, red algae, I think I would rather have that, than actual 'gelatine'. I also like the sound of the Irish seaweed too :) Very informative.

Carrageenan, I believe. Link to Amazon's purchase page. I like it; very useful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Special-Ingredients-Carrageenan-Premium-Quality/dp/B00G0RVEOI