What is the benefit of this Global Diabetes Community?

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
As how many other diabetics do we actually meet daily/weekly ?

None who admit to it at least. Here EVERYONE admits to it, we are all in the same boat, albeit a **** big boat! :happy:

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anna please try to stay on topic, we are talking about mitsubishis
Drive a tigra convertible so ?
Behave eh !
Back to topic folks please :)

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
None who admit to it at least. Here EVERYONE admits to it, we are all in the same boat, albeit a **** big boat! :happy:

I only get chance to meet others at either clinic/hospital appts .
Or the monthly support group I help run here in Preston Lancs .
Apart from this - am very much on my 'tod' [own] !

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
in the real world no one around me gets it, its great being around people that understand :)

Reactions: 4 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
80000 according to the OP and we meet the Mitsubishi owners breakaway forum as well ... on that note l shall groan off and go see the PT he may as well have his weekly jolly of causing me pain.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not surprised. I've learned more in the year and a half I've been on here than the 9 years of NHS "help". I think the NHS and Diabetes UK could learn a lot from experienced, well-controlled diabetics.

C

catherinecherub

The Diabetes Forum is the UK's largest diabetes forum with over 80,000 members. Members find support, ask questions and share experiences.

A survey conducted in November 2013 proved the effectiveness the Diabetes Forum, revealing that membership resulted in:
35.2% of members having an improved HbA1c
54.4%
of members having improved their diet choices

71.4% of members having an improved understanding of their diabetes

44.1% of people having improved blood glucose control

48.3%
of people having improved their ability to cope with their diabetes

48.5% of people having improved confidence in managing their diabetes​
Keep in touch with the DCUK forum on the go, search for Diabetes Forum on Google Play or the App Store.

Surely if 44.1% have improved glucose control then they must have improved their HBA1c results and yet the stats for that are 35.2%

Can you explain that to me?

Anyway, whatever the stats reveal I think it is the fact that diabetics can talk to other diabetics and share information that makes a forum a must.
Diabetes is a very lonely place to be if you cannot offload because your peers and family don't get it most of the time.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Surely if 44.1% have improved glucose control then they must have improved their HBA1c results and yet the stats for that are 35.2%

Can you explain that to me?

Anyway, whatever the stats reveal I think it is the fact that diabetics can talk to other diabetics and share information that makes a forum a must.
Diabetes is a very lonely place to be if you cannot offload because your peers and family don't get it most of the time.

Well, HbA1c is an "average" so if your HbA1c stayed the same but you had fewer hypos and spikes then your control would be perceived to have improved but your HbA1c had not.
As the meerkat says "simples"

C

catherinecherub

Well, HbA1c is an "average" so if your HbA1c stayed the same but you had fewer hypos and spikes then your control would be perceived to have improved but your HbA1c had not.
As the meerkat says "simples"

I am asking because I knew nothing about this survey.

If the participants were asked questions about spikes and hypos then fair enough.
I would be interested to know more about the survey as this is the first time I have heard about it.