What is the best carb counter app?

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been off low carb for a while, and the weight is starting to creep back on! So I'm going back onto low carb, and would be interested to know which low carb (as opposed to calorie counter) apps members have found the most accurate for UK food.
Thanks for any help.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Nutracheck. It has commercially available foods and separate ingredients. You don’t need to subscribe to get basic nutrient values.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s an example, I searched coconut, it automatically gave me the values for 100g. I then entered 66g and it did the calculation for me.

CA6BBF43-012A-4EC4-923B-F052A7338998.jpeg

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Cronometer, and there is a lot of UK brands on it (eg. Tesco pork belly). You can add your own foods (and recipes) but it's only visible to you, so other people's (possibly incorrect) values do not mess up the database. It can also be set for ketogenic macros, which is a plus! BTW, I use the website (also on my phone), not sure if the app is as good.

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using Myfitnesspal for a few weeks now, huge 'official' database, and can link other products like Mapmyride so you can see effect of excercise on your daily allowance (although this can tempt you into letting the calories creep). Online and phone app both easy and quick (and free - I've never needed the premium stuff) and you can choose which nutrients to focus on. Defualt is cal, carb, fat, sugar, protein, sodium.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an app called carb manager. Don’t use it yet but am planning to transition in the near future.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, I tried several of these apps when I first went keto. I found that they were way out. I look at the packets and work the carbs out from the information. I eat so few carbs, it's not hard to work it out in your head.

CHT

I use Nutracheck. It has commercially available foods and separate ingredients. You don’t need to subscribe to get basic nutrient values.
This could be a fabulous app if only it allowed a true free version. As it is, the free version is limited to just 5 foods per day. That said, it does have an extensive (and in a random sample, highly accurate - rare for UK figures) database , with a very convenient barcode scanner.

CHT

There is an app called carb manager. Don’t use it yet but am planning to transition in the near future.
Not much in the way of UK brands, also concerned any might be off if it converts to net carbs (UK food labels already exclude fibre, so carbs on the label are net carbs, don’t deduct the fibre again). Further, had difficulty with portion size - eg had one mint, but the serving size on the app was the whole packet! (The packet stated half a packet is a serving.) Lowest option was 1/8, couldn’t even enter as grams.