What is the highest blood glucose level ever recorded?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Following in my 'highest ever' posts... I also wondered if anyone knew what the highest blood glucose level ever recorded was? I've heard of some pretty scary numbers and was curious! xx

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I 'believe' an obviously,very ill and in crisis diabetic man in the USA recorded a reading of about 144 mmol or so in the ER!:woot:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you're right !!
I just googled "highest ever blood sugar reading" and found this
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/highest-blood-sugar-level/

Michael Patrick Buonocore (USA) (b. 19 May 2001), survived a blood sugar level of 147.6 mmol/L (2,656 mg/dl) when admitted to the Pocono Emergency Room in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA, on 23 March 2008. The normal blood sugar range is between 4.4 to 6.6 mmol/L (80-120 mg/dl).
Please do not try this at home :) !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following in my 'highest ever' posts... I also wondered if anyone knew what the highest blood glucose level ever recorded was? I've heard of some pretty scary numbers and was curious! xx
i use to get bg levels of 18 first thing in the morning but now i take Levemir twice a day and it seems to do the trick

msjwalters

This is my first ever post...... I was told I had diabetes three day before Christmas. Had a blood reading at the gp which was 17.1. After being on tablets for two months now my reading are around the 8 mark on average. What I don't understand is that I have the same breakfast every day and my readings range from 6 to 13 two hours after breakfast. Now I doubt it's to do with food the previous day as I do a reading as soon as I wake up and they are always around 6. Any ideas people??

msjwalters

Cereal, but same cereal every morning.
Wake up do a test and levels are around 6 every time. Eat the same cereal every morning and some days my levels are 11 two hours after eaten and some days the levels are 13!!

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
144!!!!!! I was 32 when admitted to hospital feeling very very unwell. Someone I know was at 60!!

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up in intensive care when I was 16 with a reading of around 70mmol/l!I had tripped whilst running down a hill and concussed myself which apparently led my brain to release rather a lot of adrenaline. This was way back when hospitals didn't use meters, just the manual sticks to check the colour against a chart on the side of the stick container. Needless to say I didn't feel very well :)

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I have no idea how high I've got to-The meter showed 'HI' which is above 33 mmol or so on my meter so it's a case of "how long is a piece of string"

I'm just glad that's a thing of the past now!:)

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
Geez that's scary 144.Can't remember what my highest has been but don't recall going past 18 or so.
Certain times at 9.5 I'm struggling so cannot imagine how you guys hitting 30+ are coping.

nobbypan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi I have been in the forty's in the old day now blood testing machine just say hi now so u never know how hi u r

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the age of 16 and whilst I was in a coma the Bolton Royal Infirmary recorded my blood glucose in the 80s. (81 mmol)
It was a lab test measured in mmol not milligrams per desilitre.I was sick as a dog in ITU and was comatose for 4 days it was caused by a throat infection and being away from home, no doctor would prescribe antibiotics because I was not registered with them but it was not the doctor's fault. I was too scared to go home because I'd been kicked out for failing my school exams.

I am glad to say I am the luckiest person in the world to be alive, I am recovered, I am fit and healthy and pumping Apidra, I have very good blood glucose control and my blood glucose daily averages are 5.5 to 6.0 and life is much better!

planehazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
34 once I think, but that was when I was younger and was ill from a drinking binge haha.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Hi all, mine was 39.1 when I was admitted to hospital 300 miles from home. This was after a blood test earlier in the day at home.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don't know I had a couple of readings say hi and that's 33.3 and over

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,