What meals do you eat?

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I have been doing my food diet all wrong with so many ideas on the web I’m struggling to make the right decisions
My question to everyone is this

what are your typical meals during the day?

breakfast?
Lunch ?
Dinner?

snacks?

Reactions: Jayne1983

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sammy99 ,
I saw your postings, and it looks like you're spending today learning with an amazing speed! :)

I think you'll like this thread, where we share our foods with a bit of chat on the side: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2391

You might also find this blog informative, but keep in mind that you're on medication so be careful not to go too low! Test often, and test extra if you feel funny. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

breakfast?
Lunch ?
Dinner?

snacks?
I usually don't do breakfast (never have) but many start their day with eggs with bacon or cheese, or with full fat natural Greek yoghurt (10% fat, very cheap at Lidl or Aldi, very tasty too). You can add berries if you like, or nuts.

For lunch I usually have one or two slices of low carb bread, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I add enough toppings for at least double that amount of bread. :)
Butter, cheeses, cold meats, tomato, mayonnaise, eggs, cucumber, things like that (but not all at the same time!).
My evening meals are usually based on vegetables and protein, either meat or eggs, cheese or tofu and the likes. Adding butter, cream or cheese to veggies make them yummy, and some vegetables can be easily used to replace potatoes, rice or pasta, even if they don't taste exactly the same.

Reactions: EllieM and Sammy99

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi I eat breakfast a protein plant based shake with almond milk or two boiled eggs. Dinner.. tuna salad or sandwich with low carb bread and crisps like pombears, skips, quavers or protein crisps, tea I have meat veg 2 small Yorkshire puddings. Gammon egg and mushrooms. Or a fry up. Or curry with cauliflower rice. Snacks protein bars, dark chocolate 10 cal jelly, cheese, fridge raiders, pepperoni sticks. Crab sticks cockles mussels and kp salt and vinegar nuts. Drinks water black coffee vodka diet pop

ZoeinKent

Hi @Sammy99 ,

Well done for being up for overhauling your diet! It's a lot to get your head around at first, I know.

Here are my go-to meals...

Breakfast:
- A slice of low-carb bread (Livlife is the only one I really tolerate) plus scrambled eggs and avocado, or
- Full-fat Greek yoghurt with berries (I currently heat up some frozen mixed berries - lovely on winter mornings), or
- Chia seeds mixed with full-fat milk the night before, with half a teaspoon of cinammon or 100% cocoa powder mixed in.

Lunch:
- Two slices of Livlife bread with something like tuna mayo/smoked salmon and cream cheese/peanut butter, plus a green salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, apple cider vinegar and yoghurt).

Dinner:
- Whatever the rest of the family are having but minus the starchy carbs. Eg bolognese but on shredded courgette or konjac noodles instead of spaghetti, or curry on cauliflower rice. If the family are having breaded fish with mash and veg, I'll have plain fish with cauliflower or celeriac mash. There are lots of little tweaks to make meals manageable.

Snacks:
- Nuts, or celery/pepper and hummus. Sometimes I have one of two squares of 85% chocolate as a treat, paired with some nuts as the fat/protein slows the release of sugars into the blood. Yoghurt and berries if I didn't have this for breakfast.

I know I rely quite a lot on low-carb bread - I need something quick and easy as I have two little ones! Not everyone here likes to keep bread in their diet, but it seems to work well for my BS levels.

One quick note: if you have time, it's best to cook sauces from scratch, as the ready-made jars tend to have quite a bit of sugar. Patak's curry pastes (not the sauces) are great as a base for curries.

Best of luck!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I have been doing my food diet all wrong with so many ideas on the web I’m struggling to make the right decisions

breakfast?
Lunch ?
Dinner?

snacks?

Breakfast coffee with double cream

Lunch (mid afternoon) usually some cold meats either leftovers or ham

Dinner mainly meat of any and every kind maybe some berries with double cream or very dark chocolate.

I try not to snack but maybe a few nuts or pork scratchings.

However you are on way too many medications to start this immediately.

Monitor your blood sugars closely and discuss reducing medications with your doctor before trying this out.
It is an incredibly powerful therapy.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi I eat breakfast a protein plant based shake with almond milk or two boiled eggs. Dinner.. tuna salad or sandwich with low carb bread and crisps like pombears, skips, quavers or protein crisps, tea I have meat veg 2 small Yorkshire puddings. Gammon egg and mushrooms. Or a fry up. Or curry with cauliflower rice. Snacks protein bars, dark chocolate 10 cal jelly, cheese, fridge raiders, pepperoni sticks. Crab sticks cockles mussels and kp salt and vinegar nuts. Drinks water black coffee vodka diet pop
I also have a chicken kabab with lettuce and red onion and Gallic sauce every Saturday no pitta bread tho.. I do 50 min 5 x a week on my exercise bike plus I do lots of walking good luck

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sammy99 ,
I saw your postings, and it looks like you're spending today learning with an amazing speed! :)

I think you'll like this thread, where we share our foods with a bit of chat on the side: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2391

You might also find this blog informative, but keep in mind that you're on medication so be careful not to go too low! Test often, and test extra if you feel funny. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

I usually don't do breakfast (never have) but many start their day with eggs with bacon or cheese, or with full fat natural Greek yoghurt (10% fat, very cheap at Lidl or Aldi, very tasty too). You can add berries if you like, or nuts.

For lunch I usually have one or two slices of low carb bread, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I add enough toppings for at least double that amount of bread. :)
Butter, cheeses, cold meats, tomato, mayonnaise, eggs, cucumber, things like that (but not all at the same time!).
My evening meals are usually based on vegetables and protein, either meat or eggs, cheese or tofu and the likes. Adding butter, cream or cheese to veggies make them yummy, and some vegetables can be easily used to replace potatoes, rice or pasta, even if they don't taste exactly the same.
Thank you I will go check it out
Your diet seems very good I will try some of your suggestions
Thank you again you have been a great help in my quest for better eating habits

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I will go check it out
Your diet seems very good I will try some of your suggestions
Thank you again you have been a great help in my quest for better eating habits
Oh, I forgot the snacking!
I eat a lot of nuts, especially late at night, and I also like pork scratchings and very dark (85%) chocolate, or I use the chocolate to make very yummy and very low carb, eh, chocolaty nut things. Not sure what to call them, but it involves melting chocolate, butter and nut butter, and letting it set with lots of nuts mixed in.
I also love chicory leaves with hummus, for a more sensible snack. And cheese or salami like sausages too!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 on keto diet and currently one metformin per day. Following intermittent fasting, but by accident, as I don't get hungry before lunchtime.

No breakfast but 2-3 mugs of coffee with cream.

First meal: usually homemade soup, bone broth base with bits of meat and lots of keto-compatible veg. Alternatively, mushrooms, meat, lots of garlic, maybe an egg. Sometimes fish or seafood and appropriate veg. Sometimes cheese with salad.

Last meal: meat or fish with lots of keto-friendly veg.

I don't snack - I wasn't brought up that way. Husband (non-diabetic, ideal body weight) snacks all the time.

Last edited:

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2

breakfast?
Lunch ?
Dinner?

snacks?
Hi.
I’m not sure if you are intending to lose some weight and/or want to control your blood sugar. I weighed 12.5 stone when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I lost over 3 stone and reduced to first pre-diabetic and then non-diabetic (just!) levels typically eating the following:
Breakfast
cup of tea with 1 of the following
1 thin slice of Polish rye bread toasted, 1/2 tsp sugar free peanut butter
1 slice Booths supermarket low GI bread, 1/2 tsp butter, marmite
125g Greek yoghurt (sometimes full fat, sometimes not) 5 or 6 berries
Mid morning
Cup of coffee made with 75ml of hot milk
Plus 1 rich tea biscuit
Plus 1 Babybel lite
Lunch
2 x Boiled egg
Small tub cottage cheese (sometimes low fat,sometimes not)
Small portion vegetable soup of some kind(eg 1/2 of 1 of those cartons)
Or sometimes a low carb salad from M&S or Pret A Manger
Followed by plain low fat yoghurt
Mid afternoon
Another Babybel
Or few almonds
Or very small apple chopped up or a satsuma/clementine
Dinner
Meat or fish plus vegetables, no rice, potatoes etc
Or recipe from a low carb cook book or website
Bar of Aldi 85% dark chocolate
Or more yoghurt and berries.
I also occasionally made low carb cakes or biscuits and had a small slice over several days.
I did eat low fat, although I know that’s not what everybody does on this site.
Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My food intake in general is very low as is my need for carbs, so there is probably no need for you to go so low.
I eat salad in the warm months - breakfast is often fish or seafood with either salad or a stirfry, but if I have leftover swede I mash it with an egg, mix in any leftover veges and then fry it before putting it under the grill. If there are no veges then I put grated cheese on top. I usually have coffee with cream as well.
Twelve hours later I have dinner, usually meat with low carb veges, and perhaps a dessert of berries, jelly and cream. I sleep badly so used to have a mug of tea, fruit or herbal, but as it did not help me sleep I went back to coffee.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a moderate lchf meal plan, I eat a lot of meat, bacon, fish and other seafood, eggs, cheese, full fat yoghurt, most salad vegetables, most above ground veggies. low carb wraps / bread, some smaller portions of fruit.

Mix and match for whatever meals I eat as it works for me.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast eggs poached, boiled or scrambled cold meats, cheese and smoked salmon with tomatoes or avacado or leftovers from the previous days last meal like maybe bubble and squeak or cauliflower cheese with an egg cracked in it and cooked in the microwave
Lunch not every day but when I do it could be soup or a couple of rye crackers with cheese or pate or a sandwich with small slices of crustless wholemeal bread..not what some would eat but it is slow release and suits me Last meal around 5/6pm chicken or fish or a meat free alternative with vegetables and sometimes small new potatoes or the occasional treat for me is a jacket potato with loads of cheese and butter. I do moderate carbs but we are all different in what suits us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
1 slice Booths supermarket low GI bread, 1/2 tsp butter, marmite

Booths low GI bread is my choice, too. One slice at once, sometimes another one at a different meal, but always toasted and smothered in butter. Defo no marmite!!! Delicious with a fried egg on top.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sammy99 well done for looking at a new way of eating. Bearing in mind that I tend to eat more carbs in one meal than some members eat in a day for b/fast I have either FF Greek yoghurt with blueberry or mixed berry compote sprinkled with flax seed, eggs - scrambled or poached on one slice of seeded toast, Paello Granola with blueberries or if I’m feeling rash a small bowl of raisin wheats and full milk; lunch is usually a sandwich made with one slice of bread and loads of meat or cheese as a filling or salad - salmon, cheese, tuna or ham; dinner is normally meat or fish, loads of veg and a small portion of potato. I snack on nuts, small pepporami or dark chocolate and have been known to have the occasional cream cake or granola slice I know that I can eat these foods because I have tested to see what effect they have on my BS.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My breakfast, taken with meds for other conditions, is a porridge made with mainly milled flaxseed plus chia seeds and a mix of other nuts and seeds, made with water and a spoon of coconut milk, served with cinnamon and double cream (when I started eating this I added a little oatbran but gradually increased the flaxseed instead as I adapted to the taste).
Lunch - a coffee, and maybe some cheese or ham or roast chicken or egg plus lettuce if I've had an early start.
Dinner, chicken/fish/egg plus plenty of green veg and either cauliflower rice or a mash of kohlrabi/butternut etc.
Greek yogurt with fresh raspberries.
Bedtime some dark chocolate and cocoa.

I make low carb cake or a crumble made with ground almonds and rhubarb as a change from yogurt. For special occasions I make a chocolate mousse from cream, 90% choc and sweetener.
If away from home I take mini 'quiche' from eggs, cheese and double cream or nut balls, plus tins of tuna.

Deediabetic

breakfast?
Lunch ?
Dinner?

snacks?

Breakfast
Strawberry flavoured high protein greek yoghurt 100g
Fresh Strawberries 50g
Dusted with cinnamon and a teaspoon of flaked almonds
Along with a slice if 85% lower carb bread toasted with 10g of natural dark roasted peanut butter
Coffee

Or
scrambled eggs and bacon on low carb toast

Or
avocado on low carb toast with tomato and ham

Or
keto crepes made with egg and cream cheese served with berries and sugar free maple syrup or sugar free natvia chocolate sauce

Lunch
Salad with either tuna or kippers
Or
A picky plate which has crudites, cheese, ham, low carb dip, low carb pickles, olives and a few low carb crackers

Or

A keto quiche and salad

Or

Ceasar salad with egg, grilled chicken and low carb croutons

Dinner

Protein and above ground vegetables with cauliflower mash

Or

Aldi German sausages with a salad and a slice of low carb bread to out my sausage in with a squirt of sugar free tomato sauce and mustard

Or
A stir fry with edamame or konjac noodles

Or
pesto pasta with bacon, mushrooms and edamame low carb pasta

Snacks

Some blueberries
Dark chocolate
Salt and vinegar peanuts or other nuts
Low sugar jelly and cream
A keto cookie
Crudites with low carb dip
Pork crackle
Cheese
Salami
No sugar icy poles
Keto icecream or homemade fudgesicles

So many option that dont have me missing my old diet. I've been able to find low carb substitutes to bread and pasta which has made my life much easier. Not going to lie - the bread and pasta subs - don't taste as good as the real deal but they are a great alternative to doing completely without and tucking into a piece of bacon or a egg scrambled with cream sure as hell makes up for an average tasting piece of low carb bread. ;) I stick to way under 50 carbs a day no problem. I found what works for me and finding low carb options really helped me stick to this. A lot of people on here do low carb cleanly but forgoing a low carb substitute or replacement wasn't the best option for me and my body also tolerates more carbs than maybe others on here. Eat to your meter and eat what works best for you time wise and what you enjoy the most. It's easier to stick to long term and form better habits if it's easy and works for you. Good luck.