What Regime Did You Use To Achieve Remission? (excl. Lchf And Nd)

Caprock94

How low carb are you now? Do you test with a BG meter? I would add a few carbs very slowly (the ones I really love like oranges lol) and test regularly after eating new things. I wish I was just 10 pounds away from my target, well done. Whilst the ND has some merits I think you have chosen the best plan for you in that after the initial very low cal part of ND you still need to watch your diet, and you are doing that already, so you are one step ahead. I think the main thing is to experiment, be vigilant and never get complacent.

I started off eating less than 50 carbs a day for the first couple of months. I eat 70 to 80 carbs a day or so now. I test regularly.

Caprock94

As I’ve stated on here several times, I eat a moderate carb diet - 40ish% of calories, which translates to 200g or so per day. I avoid bread, pasta, really any “white” carb. I focus on whole foods . I happen to be vegetarian, but that’s due to my inability to eat meat without very serious digestive issues, which after so many years as a vegetarian is now also just my preference. No magic in the vegetarian element IMO.

I also now exercise 5-6 days a week - walking/hiking and weight lifting mainly. I was sedentary for at least 10 years before diagnosis.

I’ve lost 95 lbs since my highest weight, 50 of it since diagnosis. My BMI is now just under 22.

Remission? I don’t care what anyone calls it, but I take no meds (at all, for anything other than seasonal allergies), any my A1c has been in the high 4% for well over 1 year now. Diagnosis was December, 2017.

Well done!!

Reactions: Walking Girl

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off eating less than 50 carbs a day for the first couple of months. I eat 70 to 80 carbs a day or so now. I test regularly.
I probably average between 100-130g per day and have maintained my hba1c in non-diabetic levels for approx 6 years. I test my FBS 4-5 times a week and occasionally after I’ve had a particular carby meal.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Metformin stopped my PCOS symptoms and then type2 symptoms but not sure if hba1c was put in a remission level. Nor when I used milkshakes in 1986 long before ND declared. Which resulted in a 7st loss. All complimented by 5-7days a week at the gym and swimming.
Now hba1c is logged I've not got close to remission even on insulin too.
Once my weight reduces I will hv a better chance of remission. I feel.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin stopped my PCOS symptoms and then type2 symptoms but not sure if hba1c was put in a remission level. Nor when I used milkshakes in 1986 long before ND declared. Which resulted in a 7st loss. All complimented by 5-7days a week at the gym and swimming.
Now hba1c is logged I've not got close to remission even on insulin too.
Once my weight reduces I will hv a better chance of remission. I feel.
@ickihun you did well to lose 7 stone when you were on the milk shake diet. I went on the same one in the 80s and only managed to lose 7lb in 2-3 months until I was told by my GP to go and eat a proper meal because my metabolism had gone 8nto starvation mode. More importantly how are you getting on post your op?

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so was diagnosed in March with a1c of 8.4 then 7.7 three weeks after the first...I started slimmingworld and in 3 months I lost 1.5 stone and my a1c came back as 5! I was regularly testing my blood sugar, I found per meal I could eat up to 70g carbs (complex not simple) with my blood sugars staying below 7.8 with the odd rise to an 8/8.5.

I still do slimming world and have now lost 3 stone 2 lbs.
for the past 9 weeks i have been following a low fat vegan diet, and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for my health.
I now eat upto 300grams of carbs per day and around 30/40g of fat or less. My blood sugars in the morning are around 4.4-5.2 my blood sugars are always in range.
I did a lot of research on how a vegan diet is good for diabetes, and I’m so happy I’ve found something that works for me :)

Reactions: DeniseT 2

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so was diagnosed in March with a1c of 8.4 then 7.7 three weeks after the first...I started slimmingworld and in 3 months I lost 1.5 stone and my a1c came back as 5! I was regularly testing my blood sugar, I found per meal I could eat up to 70g carbs (complex not simple) with my blood sugars staying below 7.8 with the odd rise to an 8/8.5.

I still do slimming world and have now lost 3 stone 2 lbs.
for the past 9 weeks i have been following a low fat vegan diet, and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for my health.
I now eat upto 300grams of carbs per day and around 30/40g of fat or less. My blood sugars in the morning are around 4.4-5.2 my blood sugars are always in range.
I did a lot of research on how a vegan diet is good for diabetes, and I’m so happy I’ve found something that works for me :)
Well done :)