What Regime Did You Use To Achieve Remission? (excl. Lchf And Nd)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread, @zand . Hoping to get ideas on alternatives to what I have tried so far.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thread, @zand . Hoping to get ideas on alternatives to what I have tried so far.
Me too lol. Pretty fed up at having put on 7 pounds in one day over the weekend and whilst I had some carbs I refused most of them and now wish I had just scoffed the lot. :(

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too lol. Pretty fed up at having put on 7 pounds in one day over the weekend and whilst I had some carbs I refused most of them and now wish I had just scoffed the lot. :(

@zand , I'm sure you know deep down that's just water clinging to the carbs, and perhaps a bit of inflammation "swelling".

I've been GF for quite a while now, and if I gluten myself (either mistakenly, on on an "oh s*d it, it'll be fine" basis, aside from other symptoms, like feeling I've been hit by a bus, my tummy gets bloated and my hands and feet swell.

Give it a few days and hopefully, they'll go.

Reactions: Speedbird and zand

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gradually I built the walking up and now often walk about 8 to 10 miles a day.
I hope you enjoy the walking. If that takes 3 or 4 hours, that's a day a week you spending walking. I find an hour is enough, certainly it is for my little dog.

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was on three different drugs for Type 2 diabetes and my blood glucose was out of control with a HbA1c of 75 I knew I had to do something about it. To be honest I saw the documentary on tv and it frightened me.
I had been lurking on this site for some time and tried the LCHF diet but developed high cholesterol and a non-alcohol fatty liver but my BG was somewhat improved.
I revised my diet to include carbohydrates in moderation. I have porridge with semi-skilled milk every morning; a huge salad with protein and a low fat, low carb dressing for most lunches (no carbs at lunchtime) and a cooked meal every night with a small portion of potato. rice or pasta, lots of veg and meat, fish or poultry. No snacks but plenty of sugar free peppermint tea and coffee. Somehow I have not got bored with my meals but occasionally really fancy something to eat that I know I shouldn't. I usually manage to resist.

My diet is by no means 'low carb' or 'low fat' but is moderate in both and I am aware of portion sizes. I do have a sandwich once a fortnight for lunch but then have mashed swede instead of potato at dinner time.

I lost 7 stone in under a year on this diet and am still losing about 1lb a month. I no longer take medication for diabetes with a HbA1c of 36. I consider myself to be a diet controlled diabetic, it certainly isn't reversed, cured or in remission. I did an experiment this lunchtime and ate a high sugar snack and my blood sugar rocked from 4.7 to over 13, which wouldn't happen with a non-diabetic.

This forum has taught me such a lot about the contribution carbohydrates make to high blood glucose and I will forever be grateful.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I attended a local Council sponsored event yesterday, around general health. There were loads of stands and groups there. I was there as a member of my local Diabetes UK group.

Naturally, at those events, I would never consider asking anyone disclosing themselves to have been diagnosed with diabetes, but I'll usually ask folks how it's all going. Yesterday was the first time, ever (for me) that anyone declared themselves to be in remission or reversed, but yesterday there were three, plus one with sibling envy as his brother had reversed his T2, where brother I was speaking to hadn't.

I asked each of those making their declarations how they'd achieved their success (hoping other bystanders would be listening in). All the descriptions were pretty sketchy, with a couple focusing on weight loss (one via WeightWatchers) and one was almost definitely LC.

Needless to say I was pretty astonished by their presence at all, but delighted that the concept of the progressive nature of diabetes can be both positive as well as the more usually considered negative direction is getting out there. With hope in the room, more people are likely to be motivated to make changes.

Reactions: Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I was on three different drugs for Type 2 diabetes and my blood glucose was out of control with a HbA1c of 75 I knew I had to do something about it. To be honest I saw the documentary on tv and it frightened me.
I had been lurking on this site for some time and tried the LCHF diet but developed high cholesterol and a non-alcohol fatty liver but my BG was somewhat improved.
I revised my diet to include carbohydrates in moderation. I have porridge with semi-skilled milk every morning; a huge salad with protein and a low fat, low carb dressing for most lunches (no carbs at lunchtime) and a cooked meal every night with a small portion of potato. rice or pasta, lots of veg and meat, fish or poultry. No snacks but plenty of sugar free peppermint tea and coffee. Somehow I have not got bored with my meals but occasionally really fancy something to eat that I know I shouldn't. I usually manage to resist.

My diet is by no means 'low carb' or 'low fat' but is moderate in both and I am aware of portion sizes. I do have a sandwich once a fortnight for lunch but then have mashed swede instead of potato at dinner time.

I lost 7 stone in under a year on this diet and am still losing about 1lb a month. I no longer take medication for diabetes with a HbA1c of 36. I consider myself to be a diet controlled diabetic, it certainly isn't reversed, cured or in remission. I did an experiment this lunchtime and ate a high sugar snack and my blood sugar rocked from 4.7 to over 13, which wouldn't happen with a non-diabetic.

This forum has taught me such a lot about the contribution carbohydrates make to high blood glucose and I will forever be grateful.
The significant rise in blood sugars can and do happen to non-diabetic, however the spike usually comes down quicker.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at hbac 51 ( March 21016) I was told by doctor and nurse to eat healthy. Mind you I was healthy anyway. Brown pasta, whole wheat, fruits, vegetable juice for 2 years as breakfast before I was diagnosed.

Sometimes I think that all those carbs from fruit/veg ( 20-80 ratio) is what made me diabetic. I thought I was being healthy. Had never been overweight. At 5-7, maximum I had been was 75 and that was the weight at diagnosis.

Anyway, when I was told, I didn't do much different apart from cutting morning toast, occasional pasta for lunch. Fruits intake and carbs in rice, pizza, beer, chips, pies , cakes continue even after diagnosis, After 6 months, with just by cutting pasta, bread and sugar in tea etc, I was at 46( Oct 2016)

So, I thought this is it. I continued same way and was at 44 (March 2017) after another 6 months.

My nurse then said I will see you in 1 year. So in March 2018, my hbac climbed upto 50. I suspect this was due to me spending 3 weeks in india in Jan 2018 and stuffing myself with food rich in carbs and sugar. I decided to do LCHF since then with occasional fall of the wagon.

Anyway, I am now waiting for next hbac test but my own readings tell me I should be around 40-42. Lets see.

So to answer original purpose of this thread I achieved remission by just cutting pasta/bread/sugar in original form despite continuing other non heatlhy and carb rich food intake.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget to let us know how you got on at SW.

Ok, quick update - after the first week, I had lost 5lbs. I found the eating side ok if I watched the carbs. What I didn't find ok was the group. I sat for 1.5 hours listening to the leader read out everyone's losses/gains/non moves. Whilst everyone clapped. That's apparently therapy.... hmm. There were 50 plus people in that room... I found it painful. So, I decided that's not going to work for me. I could weigh & run but then I'm paying £5 a pop for standing on the scales. I resigned :)

So, now I'm looking going back to basics. Watch the carbs, cut the junk foods and up my workouts.

Reactions: zand and Prem51

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, quick update - after the first week, I had lost 5lbs. I found the eating side ok if I watched the carbs. What I didn't find ok was the group. I sat for 1.5 hours listening to the leader read out everyone's losses/gains/non moves. Whilst everyone clapped. That's apparently therapy.... hmm. There were 50 plus people in that room... I found it painful. So, I decided that's not going to work for me. I could weigh & run but then I'm paying £5 a pop for standing on the scales. I resigned :)

So, now I'm looking going back to basics. Watch the carbs, cut the junk foods and up my workouts.
Yes I agree about the losses/gains. I think it's designed to make us expect to put on weight sometimes. :rolleyes: I used to go just for the weigh in so I could report back to the guys here on my weightloss thread ( but it was free for me for 6 months, I stopped going when I had to pay)

Well done on the 5 pounds loss anyway. And you have all the SW handouts now too and one or two hints in there might prove useful.

I can't fault your new plan, just remember to drink enough water too to help the weight on it's way. :) And keep us informed :)

Reactions: seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree about the losses/gains. I think it's designed to make us expect to put on weight sometimes. :rolleyes: I used to go just for the weigh in so I could report back to the guys here on my weightloss thread ( but it was free for me for 6 months, I stopped going when I had to pay)

Well done on the 5 pounds loss anyway. And you have all the SW handouts now too and one or two hints in there might prove useful.

I can't fault your new plan, just remember to drink enough water too to help the weight on it's way. :) And keep us informed :)

Yea, I won't knock SW really as a group, I know a lot of people say it's not successful long term, but few things are. As a kick start I think it could work. I just think that group was too big to be useful without being too time consuming.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wasn't that a ten pound less then?;)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My question is not intended to offend anybody.
How is it possible to say one is in remission if one is on hypoglycemic drugs.
I was lead to believe that these drugs led to T2DM, being a progressive illness, because eventually one required more and more drugs or higher doses of the same drugs to achieve normal blood glucose levels.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @brassyblonde900 , not offended ;) but your answer has been clearly answered on the first page of this thread:
I tend to agree that normally you would expect remission to be drugfree. However for the purposes of this thread if someone achieves remission whilst still using drugs that's fine. The idea of the thread was to give newbies choices and if the preference is to use drugs and/or supplements then I think that option should be included here.
While I was being a bit facetious before, I really hope we don't get too bogged down with definitions. We've had these reversed, remission, cured etc. discussions (ad nauseam) way too many times already IMO. If the person considers themselves enough in remission to answer this thread with their methods, that self-definition is a good place to start.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems, reading all these posts, that everyone has cut their carbs in some way to find their personal safe threshold. Which would indicate to me that some carb control is essential to get remission. Thus further proving that the Eatwell plate doesnt work for type 2 diabetics with its emphasis on carbs.

so maybe not Low carb in the way many do on here, with less than 50g a day, but still watching the carb element of our diet and using our meters to know what is a safe amount for ourselves.

Its ALL about the carbs, isnt it, however we reduce them and control our intake. Its the common theme in all this thread.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is not intended to offend anybody.
How is it possible to say one is in remission if one is on hypoglycemic drugs.
I was lead to believe that these drugs led to T2DM, being a progressive illness, because eventually one required more and more drugs or higher doses of the same drugs to achieve normal blood glucose levels.

I was put straight onto insulin whenI was diagnosed. I then got to the stage where I came off insulin and went onto metforim and have now reached the stage where I'm no longer taking metformin. In my view (and I accept that it's only my view and may not be everybody elses) I was in remission when I came off insulin and went onto metformin, albeit that I was on a drug intended to help me control my condition.

No offence taken by the way. All comes down to what one's view of remission is.

Reactions: zand and ziggy_w

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This definition of remission/reversal/cure/well-controlled is an interesting one. The last time I saw my GP a few months ago she congratulated me on my control over the last 4/5 tears and said she was going to enter "in remission" on my record (I blame Michael Mosely for this). After a very friendly exchange of views she agreed to change that to well-controlled.
I know it's only semantics but I feel that having to make daily efforts to stay in control it is not in remission, just being kept at bay!
@zand There is a lot of useful information on this thread. thank you for starting it.

Reactions: zand and Prem51

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This definition of remission/reversal/cure/well-controlled is an interesting one. The last time I saw my GP a few months ago she congratulated me on my control over the last 4/5 tears and said she was going to enter "in remission" on my record (I blame Michael Mosely for this). After a very friendly exchange of views she agreed to change that to well-controlled.
I know it's only semantics but I feel that having to make daily efforts to stay in control it is not in remission, just being kept at bay!
@zand There is a lot of useful information on this thread. thank you for starting it.
Thank you.
I totally agree with you. I do not think myself as in remission, I am a purist when it comes to my BG control.
I want no more than 4.8mmol/l fasting and anything outside that is cause for diet and activity review.
I prefer to refer to my journey in the T2DM ecosystem as well controlled too, because that is what I am.
As a baby, many moons ago, I had to learn to eat and love adult food.
I had to learn to forgo mama's easier to eat, and more familiar warm milk.
So what if I have to learn to eat and love a different kind of food from what I have been accustomed to.
s**t happens and I've decided to deal with it.
Luckily I am getting used to and enjoying the new way of eating a diagnosis of T2DM has made imperative, I've got no choice if I hope to remain complication free.
Knowing the nature of the beast I battle daily, I am well aware that I could very well be back at ground zero, if I slip up.
Hence for ME the operative word is control....The **** thing is like eye colour, you can't ditch it once you have it.
T2DM is something I will die with.
T2DM is not something I will die from.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems, reading all these posts, that everyone has cut their carbs in some way to find their personal safe threshold. Which would indicate to me that some carb control is essential to get remission. Thus further proving that the Eatwell plate doesnt work for type 2 diabetics with its emphasis on carbs.

so maybe not Low carb in the way many do on here, with less than 50g a day, but still watching the carb element of our diet and using our meters to know what is a safe amount for ourselves.

Its ALL about the carbs, isnt it, however we reduce them and control our intake. Its the common theme in all this thread.
I have never been very low carb and my carb intake varies but I estimate that I average about 100g carbs per day which is a lot more than many on here but, as my Hba1c has been between 34 - 37 for the last 4 years, I am content with that amount. If I have had a particularly ‘carby’ meal I test hourly for 3-4 hours afterwards to see the effect on my BS which, I am pleased to say, normally drops after 2 and is usually back to normal within 3 hours. In addition when I check it my FBS (prob 3-4 times per week) it is between 4.8 and 5.6 so I’m not too concerned about them either. However, whilst I realise that I am relatively lucky to be able to tolerate more carbs, I recognise that, in order to maintain my current good control or stay in remission, I still need to watch my carb intake.