What should I expect?????

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi all,
I did post this as a reply in another thread, but thought I would ask the question seperately.......
I was 'labelled' at the end of April with a subsequent hb1ac of 97 ..... Which at the time meant nothing, but I subsequently realised was high - and freaked!
I now have embarked on a major diet and exercise regime and have lost 3 stone to date (18st to 15st)
My next hb1ac I think is due in August - but ask what would be a realistic expectation to achieve at this test - any ideas - or is it how long is a piece of string?? I don't want to come away gutted if it is still high.
If it is any help my initial fasting finger prick test on diagnosis was 12, but one take a couple of weeks ago was 6.6.
I'm not doing my own readings - yet, and tbh, I'm still weighing up whether I want to do this.
Any advice or experience please??
Thx

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
My advice would be to test if you can. Testing has helped me so much with regards knowing which foods to avoid and adjusting my portion sizes accordingy. Also a huge well done on the weight loss it seems you are on track and taking control. The more stable the nu bets when you self test will be a good Indictator as to what you HBA1C will possibly be. For example I'm regular in the 4s now fasting and between meals and then 2 hours post meals very rarely above 6. But everyone is different and some people cannot tolerate being as low as 4 and maybe more happy being in the 5s or 6s pre meals it just depends on what works for you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I did post this as a reply in another thread, but thought I would ask the question seperately.......
I was 'labelled' at the end of April with a subsequent hb1ac of 97 ..... Which at the time meant nothing, but I subsequently realised was high - and freaked!
I now have embarked on a major diet and exercise regime and have lost 3 stone to date (18st to 15st)
My next hb1ac I think is due in August - but ask what would be a realistic expectation to achieve at this test - any ideas - or is it how long is a piece of string?? I don't want to come away gutted if it is still high.
If it is any help my initial fasting finger prick test on diagnosis was 12, but one take a couple of weeks ago was 6.6.
I'm not doing my own readings - yet, and tbh, I'm still weighing up whether I want to do this.
Any advice or experience please??
Thx
I get the feeling that you think that if you lose enough weight then your Hba1c will be lower and everything will be fine. You are pushing string. The only way to reduce your Hba1c is to eat fewer foods that are high in carbohydrates. If you do that then your Hba1c should be lower, you will lose weight and achieve a result. I wish you well .

Reactions: 2 people

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@Squire Fulwood thanks for the note, and yes you are right. I currently feel 'it' has total control of me and the only things I have any chance of controlling are diet and exercise.
I probably don't understand the mechanics of this except that all websites and information I have read (including the HCPs who I know don't understand this or us!) all clearly state that for people like me who were obese (past tense for me now - just) the best way to improve management is lose weight, diet and exercise .... I'd like to think I'm trying my damndest to do just that. I do have perhaps a (mis)conception that my reduced weight will help with my 'journey' - I thought that was what others have achieved in here??? ..... Is my bubble / hope about to be burst???
Thx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Squire Fulwood thanks for the note, and yes you are right. I currently feel 'it' has total control of me and the only things I have any chance of controlling are diet and exercise.
I probably don't understand the mechanics of this except that all websites and information I have read (including the HCPs who I know don't understand this or us!) all clearly state that for people like me who were obese (past tense for me now - just) the best way to improve management is lose weight, diet and exercise .... I'd like to think I'm trying my damndest to do just that. I do have perhaps a (mis)conception that my reduced weight will help with my 'journey' - I thought that was what others have achieved in here??? ..... Is my bubble / hope about to be burst???
Thx
Not necessarily. Certainly no-one wants a burst bubble.

There is a well known problem with dieting, it's called the yo-yo effect. A high percentage of people who make strenuous efforts to lose weight eventually stop what they are doing and put the weight back on again. The only people that seem to be able to keep it off are those who change their way of eating in a permanent way and not just for the duration. One book worth a read is Escape the Diet Trap by John Briffa.

If you get the diet right the rest happens almost of its own accord. I am not going to trot out a load of acronyms and names of diets since that seems to start the diet wars off every time but cutting down on the carbohydrates seems very effective and if you can replace those meals with others that you like and give a permanent place in your personal menu then you should stay lighter.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It is very likely that your HBa1C will have dropped quite a bit. Having lost weight it's probable that your insulin resistance due to visceral fat will have improved helping reduce blood sugar. Losing weight thru low-carbing will normally have the largest effect as carbs are the main culprit when it comes to fat storage and directly increasing blood sugar. Do get hold of a meter. You don't have to test very often but it will give you some idea of what is going on.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Not necessarily. Certainly no-one wants a burst bubble.

There is a well known problem with dieting, it's called the yo-yo effect. A high percentage of people who make strenuous efforts to lose weight eventually stop what they are doing and put the weight back on again. The only people that seem to be able to keep it off are those who change their way of eating in a permanent way and not just for the duration. One book worth a read is Escape the Diet Trap by John Briffa.

If you get the diet right the rest happens almost of its own accord. I am not going to trot out a load of acronyms and names of diets since that seems to start the diet wars off every time but cutting down on the carbohydrates seems very effective and if you can replace those meals with others that you like and give a permanent place in your personal menu then you should stay lighter.
Thank you for the warning @Squire Fulwood . I have never dieted previously (though clearly I should have done!) and in the past controlled weight by being very active - it is in more recent years where my my ambivalence and ignorance have now caught me out. I am conscious, in fact very conscious and somewhat worried that once there weight wise I need to stay there (I think I have another stone + to go), and worry this is now a lifelong need / obsession I will need to have. My first priority however is getting there! Most of my clothes no longer fit me and those that still do hang on me. As and when I can afford to replace them, this will be one of my 'indicators' to keep it off - as well as a regular trip to the Docs and their BMI / weight machine!
Cheers

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi. It is very likely that your HBa1C will have dropped quite a bit. Having lost weight it's probable that your insulin resistance due to visceral fat will have improved helping reduce blood sugar. Losing weight thru low-carbing will normally have the largest effect as carbs are the main culprit when it comes to fat storage and directly increasing blood sugar. Do get hold of a meter. You don't have to test very often but it will give you some idea of what is going on.
@Daibell thank you for your comment and explanation, that is what I had been told and hoped! I just want to try to manage my expectation of what is likely. I would like to see a dramatic shift ....but I don't know if this is realistic / possible / likely etc??? I haven't purposely and calculatingly embarked on a LC diet, but I am avoiding the 'usual suspects' almost completely (along with almost everything else) and just mindful of everything else I do eat. As I think I have outlined in my initial post, I am VERY food phobic at the moment and genuinely struggle to eat most things.
Thanks again

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Heretic1 I didn't test until after my 3 month HbA1c retest. I felt that if I could reduce my weight my HbA1c would reduce too as most of the fat I was carrying was around my middle. I was glad that I reduced it from 49 to 44, but a bit disappointed too as I was hoping it would be below 42.
It is not possible to predict what your next HbA1c result is likely to be, as even if you do self test those readings might not give you an accurate forecast of your next HbA1c test result. Different factors can effect the meter reading, and meters aren't 100% accurate anyway.
But with your weight loss your HbA1c should be lower.
I am expecting to get below 42 next time, but wouldn't like to predict numbers. I think it should be in the 30s though.