What sugar substitute works best for you...

K

Kat100

I can eat them I can, I can!!! :bigtears: And cripes, no recipe? You mean I have to WORK to get a result? Oh heck :eek: Right, I will accept that challenge, not sure when but I will get round to it. :D
I will check on your baking, one week from today popsy !!!!!!! Feedback and elbow Greece required ;) ;) ;) x

K

Kat100

Had one of my coconut muffins at lunch time with a scope of vanilla pod ice cream on a plate and sprinkled all over with dark chocolate scrapings after my roast beef, yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes today (not particularly low carb). It was really scrumdidlyumptious...

More surprising was that my levels only went to 5.5 at 1 hour and then to 5.3 at 2 hours from a pre-prandial of 4.3. Don't quite understand why such little rise unless it was the 2.5km run before breakfast followed by 90 mins walking the dogs in the forest after breakfast and pulling my wife up the hills at the end of the leads. I just didn't have to do any exercise to compensate. Maybe I should have had seconds :)
Sounds lovely, icecream, I am still stuck on which brand is best....:/
We also went for a walk managed 4 miles....goodness a bit cold though....
You went for a run that is great, I would love to be able to run, I do fast walking, when I come out from under my blanket .....my last hba1c was 6.1 next one due in April,with all walking and home cooking I am hoping to keep it about the same...
Think your running may be keeping your bg great.....
Happy days .....Kat

Reactions: 2 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I will check on your baking, one week from today popsy !!!!!!! Feedback and elbow Greece required ;) ;) ;) x

Elbow grease? Oh ick :wacky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
@Kat100 So what sweetener did you end up using in your lovely sounding cake Kat?

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

@Kat100 So what sweetener did you end up using in your lovely sounding cake Kat?
I used stevia the brown blend it was the 50% one making it low sugar ......and I only have a few pieces! as I share it and freeze it...
4 oz sugar
11 oz flour I used organic self raising,
3 eggs
4 table spoons of
Good quality cooking oil
Half pint milk
Dates
Walnuts
Ginger spice mix

Abt 30 mns in a tin 8 by 6 inches 170 c

All can be adapted, I have not baked with almond flour yet, but I must , I have used rice flour though and I t was fine x

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In case my post has gone, can't see it at the moment, :/

Just sharing that my ginger and date cake worked out well today, I am pleased x

Can I have ginger cake recipe please - I'm about to give up baking for good - last batch of carrot cake muffins were DISGUSTING - even my other half who will eat anything, agreed with me. All in the bin - followed by the jar of Stevia.

What can I use instead of sugar which doesn't give a bitter taste????/

K

Kat100

Can I have ginger cake recipe please - I'm about to give up baking for good - last batch of carrot cake muffins were DISGUSTING - even my other half who will eat anything, agreed with me. All in the bin - followed by the jar of Stevia.

What can I use instead of sugar which doesn't give a bitter taste????/
Hi shelly the recepie is on here I made it with stevia 50% low cal low sugar.....xxx don't give up,on the baking :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you add too much Shelly? I have never used it but I know it is thousands of times sweeter than sugar.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe, thought they needed to be a bit sweeter so added more. I've since used Splenda with more success. Stevia went into the bin!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SaulNichol12

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
I made a lemon cake today, looks really nice ( made with Splenda ) my first attempt...with Splenda....
Oh my goodness it tasted awful, just did not work for my taste buds....could not digest the taste...
My oh tried really hard to eat some cake telling me it was ok...but we had to give in...

Going to try another cake at the weekend with either xylitiol or a half and half sugar with stevia
Hope the next cake taste better...

What do you find works best in your baking ......just interested....as I am still learning...

The garden birds won't even touch the crumbs I have put out :/ Kat x not a Splenda one .....
Hello. My dentist recommended xylitol. It looks like sugar and is perfectly safe. The amazing thing is that it is good for your dental health. It is expensive though. I bought some from Sainsburys for £2.70.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners, and stevia has a bitter aftertaste.

Recently I've been using minimal squirts of agave nectar, but am now gradually transitioning to xylitol. The idea of guilt free sweetness is taking a long time for me to get my head around.

K

Kat100

Hello. My dentist recommended xylitol. It looks like sugar and is perfectly safe. The amazing thing is that it is good for your dental health. It is expensive though. I bought some from Sainsburys for £2.70.
Yes xylitiol is great...I do use it as well, thank you for sharing x

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm struggling with sweeteners and about to give up. I've tried stevia, and didn't like it - just my personal opinion. I tried xylitol, seemed ok, but I'm wondering if it really is low carb.... ? I think I'm suspicious because it looks and tastes like sugar and I don't think it has a tinny taste. I bought something online called ZSweet or EZsweet, but again, personal view is that it's metallic and feels like it's not doing me much good! I made some very good Dwans truffles the other day, using real dark choc (85%), ground almonds, unsweetened cocoa, cold black coffee from the coffee pot, dessicated coconut, double cream and an eensy bit of Xylitol. Very nice, and I've eaten THEM ALL ... over several days (of course) and with some help from OH (of course) :D.... but I'm afraid my levels were well and truly spiked by them. Maybe I should only eat one a month ...:eek::grumpy::rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After a lifetime of having a sweet tooth I found being diagnosed diabetic (type 2) 2 years ago and no longer being able to be a sugar fiend something of a nightmare.

After trying a range of different products I've ended up using Canderal Green (with Stevia) for all my baking needs (when melting for a recipe need to sift in slowly and whisk to avoid clumping). About the only thing I can't still make is fudge as it doesn't crystalise like sugar but I've learned to live without it, ahem!

I do occasionally use Truvia if I've no Canderal Green (not always in the supermarkets with the other varieties) but try to avoid as also get a bit jittery from using it to bake with.

I make cakes, muffins, cheesecakes, jams (need pectin liquid for this one), flapjacks etc without any problems and recipes are dead simple to adjust as it's a straight forward 10% of the original sugar weight e.g. recipe says 100g sugar, use 10g Canderal Green.

Initially things didn't rise as much so I do use a dash of rising agent but otherwise it all comes out lovely.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's unnerving to pick up a bag of sweetener and find that it's lighter than a feather! Anyone else feel like this?

I haven't done much research on sweeteners yet, but I feel it's going to be a minefield. All those products, desserts etc which are supposedly 'sugar free' but which spike our levels just as well anyway. :confused::D

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sounds lovely, icecream, I am still stuck on which brand is best....:/
We also went for a walk managed 4 miles....goodness a bit cold though....
You went for a run that is great, I would love to be able to run, I do fast walking, when I come out from under my blanket .....my last hba1c was 6.1 next one due in April,with all walking and home cooking I am hoping to keep it about the same...
Think your running may be keeping your bg great.....
Happy days .....Kat
Make your own:
200ml double cream
200 g frozen raspberries
2tsp sweetener if you must.
Blitz berries first. Add cream and sweetener. Blitz till ice-cream. Eat on own. When no one else there. Enjoy guilty secret! Lol! 150 cream/fruit makes 6 scoops!

Reactions: 4 people