1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What test was used for your diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by rosserk, Aug 27, 2015.

1. bilb_baggins

bilb_baggins Type 1 · Member

I HAD A FASTING TEST DONE WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED 16 YEARS AGO I HAD SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES PLUS I HAD A SISTER THAT WAS A DIABETIC

2. Geri

Geri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My father took me to see my local GP with a specimen of urine. I was eight years old and a clinitest was carried out which turned bright orange, which meant I had sugar in my urine. I was immediately sent to hospital and put on 2 hourly shots of (then) beef insulin and measured amounts of food. The first night was awful as I was on limited amounts of water and was extremely thirsty. That was new years day 1970. What a start to the year!

3. kram

kram · Newbie

When I was 15, 43 years ago they used a urine test, how thing s have changed

4. Anatoli15

Anatoli15 Type 1 · Member

My diagnosis type 2 was determined via the oral glucose tolerance test. There is no history of diabetes in my family and am a very plain eater and never touches fatty things. I did however love bread and jam!

5. doolallylady

doolallylady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

December 2015. Type 2.

Went to the Dr's because I just wasn't feeling right and had no energy. I am overweight and have quite a few other medical problems. I don't have any of the normal associated symptoms eg, thirst and weeing a lot. Was given a full range of blood tests and when I went for the results I was told that my kidney function had gone down and the sugar levels were elevated and to have another blood test. When I went for the results I was told that the results were 48 & 49, therefore I have type 2 diabetes. Neither test was a fasting test and both were roughly 2 - 3 hours after breakfast.
    No medication required just diet at the moment..

6. Muzleflash58

Muzleflash58 Type 2 · Newbie

I originally went to see GP about really agonising lower abdominal pain, had a urine test which was positive then a finger prick test, then HBa1C which came back at 107

7. amgrundy

amgrundy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I went to the doctor in Jan this year with flu, tested my water said there was a trace of glucose in my water. Sent me to hospital for blood tests, rang me up 3 days later, had to go see doctor same day, told I was a diabetic Type 2 and had been for six yrs erh!!! Now on Metformin 500mg x2 daily. still in shock confused doctors not really helpful, got more out of this website, love it everyone so nice. :):)

8. vic hill

vic hill Type 1 · Well-Known Member

thanks vic
    recent i had a talk with person who had gone to hospital to have a blood sugar test this was lower than one done by finger prick
    hence not really in to becoming a type 1 so was not started on insulin .
    plus i think will undertake a fasting test good of you to the time make it clear
    vic

9. elainegold

elainegold Type 2 · Member

Diagnosed in October after fasting plasma glucose test.

10. muslabs

muslabs Type 2 · Newbie

First routine finger prick at GP, then stress test (drink glucose solution, test after x minutes) in hospital.

11. Bognorlad40

Bognorlad40 Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed t2 1999 with the finger prick test followed by venous blood and a gtt thats how I found out

12. clareb1970

clareb1970 Type 1 · Active Member

I was tested in 1983 after being ill for a few months (which I kept hidden from my parents!). During this period of being unwell I had an uncontrollable thirst and the need to pee all the time! Not only that, I kept falling asleep in class and lost a lot of weight very quickly. I just felt rotten. Eventually my parents found out about these symptoms and immediately put 2 and 2 together. As my Dad was a diabetic, he made me collect a urine sample and my Mum tested it - to reaveal I had over 2 ++ of glucose in my urine.

The next morning I was taken directly to my local hospital where they carried out some blood tests. Not sure what the result was (I was 13 at the time) but I do know it was very high. Never had a glucose tolerance test or anything. I think the level of my symptoms and blood results made it very clear what was wrong.

13. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Basic glucose test (33+), then admitted into emergency room, then a1c (13.2%), c-peptide, and GAD 65 antibody test. Also had thyroid, kidney, and liver tests to make sure nothing else was wrong.

I'm very fortunate that I didn't have to request any of this and my gp and endocrinologist are amazing.

14. clareb1970

Hi, what is DAFNE?

15. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

16. clareb1970

Thanks. Why is information full of acronyms these days?? I work for a large company as a Comms Lead and employees get sick to death of information which is full of acronyms. Dose Adjustment for normal eating doesn't even need its own acronym. Must go now, I need to have my FWFATP (forty winks for a tired person). TTFN

17. roslynfarm

roslynfarm Type 2 · Member

New GP noticed my blood test results two years earlier which had fasting BGL at 5.9. He said often a sign of D2 and order a glucose tolerance test. From memory reading came back as 17 .... I control my D2 with diet. I have 3 monthly check. My HbA1C is 5.9

18. willb

willb Type 2 · Newbie

About 10years ago I had a oral glucose tolerance test, which was the most commonest way at the time as I recall.

19. welsh polly

welsh polly Type 2 · Member

Fasting plasma glucose test.

20. terryfisher

terryfisher Type 2 · Newbie

I had a plasma glucose tolerance test after 8 hours min. of fasting and only drinking water.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook