What test was used for your diagnosis?

Anatoli15

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask the good people on this forum if they were diagnosed using a testing method other than HBa1c ?

To clarify where you diagnosed using one of the following methods.
  • A fasting plasma glucose test measures your blood glucose after you have gone at least eight hours without eating or drinking anything but plain water. This test is used to detect diabetes or pre-diabetes.
  • An oral glucose tolerance test measures your blood sugar after you have gone at least eight hours without eating and drinking and two hours after you drink a glucose-containing beverage. This test can be used to diagnose diabetes
  • A random plasma glucose test, your doctor checks your blood glucose without regard to when you ate your last meal. This test, along with an assessment of symptoms, is used to diagnose diabetes but not pre-diabetes.
I was diagnosed via the oral glucose tolerance test. I went to the doctor complaining of pains in my feet. The problem being neuropathy - diabetes ( T2) having damaged nerves in both legs. No history in my family and, as a very plain eater, puzzled as to how diabetes came about.

colsal

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a finger prick test over a 3 day period by my GP who quickly referred me to my nearest clinic where I had a Hba1c and GADA.

Red shaw

My diagnosis was in 1983. As the result of a urine dip, I was called into the GP's for a finger prick and a test on a good old fashioned BM stick. And was admitted to the children's ward that afternoon. I don't think we had routine HbA tests in those days.

PC16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No tests at all and kicked out of hospital with anxiety, Then two weeks later after no food for at least 4 weeks several blood tests, testing for ketos and BG several more blood tests then a week later about 4 ABG (blood gas) because I don't think anyone could believe my ketos were that high - then diagnosed and a good 4 weeks on drip down - t1 oct14

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Urine test on a Thursday evening, collected prescription Friday morning, had 1st insulin injection that day. If memory serves me right didn't have blood tested until 3 month's later, just checked urine daily. This was back in 1991 guess things have changed.