Type 2 What Tests Should I Ask For Tomorrow ?

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having my 3 monthly A1C test tomorrow 9am. I always get my Cholesterol checked too but they never check my Lipids (I think it’s that) or is it Trigs?

What tests do I need to get so I am getting the full picture of my Cholesterol levels? #confused

Reactions: gemma_T1

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lipids means fats another word for cholesterol really. I get the following results from my surgery:
Total cholesterol
Triglycerides
HDL
LDL
Total cholesterol/HDL ratio. (Though this you can calculate yourself)
Have you been told to fast for the test? They never tell me to, but I’ve learned from this forum that the triglyceride result can be skewed if you’ve eaten beforehand. You need to just have water from now til the blood test.

Reactions: MKD75 and gemma_T1

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You should also have kidney function and liver function tested, as diabetes can affect both.
Trigs are very important.
Good luck

Reactions: Prem51 and MKD75

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Yes @Kittycat_7_ Kidneys, very important. These vital organs generally don't recover well from damage caused to the microscopic vessels inside. They can lose a lot of function without being noticed until it is too late. I have my eGFR / creatinine done with each HbA1c as it is a very simple test. Renal ultrasound if something suspicious comes back.

A lipid profile for those of us on few carbs is useful as it segregates the cholesterol makeup for a more meaningful assessment. Low carbers mostly have raised total cholesterol but it is the good vs bad that is the one to consider. Especially considering the medical profession's love affair with statins.

Have your eyes checked regularly as well for retinopathy. Another one that sneak up undetected.

Have fun,
Glenn

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @Kittycat_7_ Kidneys, very important. These vital organs generally don't recover well from damage caused to the microscopic vessels inside. They can lose a lot of function without being noticed until it is too late. I have my eGFR / creatinine done with each HbA1c as it is a very simple test. Renal ultrasound if something suspicious comes back.

A lipid profile for those of us on few carbs is useful as it segregates the cholesterol makeup for a more meaningful assessment. Low carbers mostly have raised total cholesterol but it is the good vs bad that is the one to consider. Especially considering the medical profession's love affair with statins.

Have your eyes checked regularly as well for retinopathy. Another one that sneak up undetected.

Have fun,
Glenn

Thanks Glenn and this is why I want a full Cholesterol test as I am constantly being badgered to take Statins, which I point blank refuse to!

Reactions: Prem51

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lipids means fats another word for cholesterol really. I get the following results from my surgery:
Total cholesterol
Triglycerides
HDL
LDL
Total cholesterol/HDL ratio. (Though this you can calculate yourself)
Have you been told to fast for the test? They never tell me to, but I’ve learned from this forum that the triglyceride result can be skewed if you’ve eaten beforehand. You need to just have water from now til the blood test.

No I wasn’t told to but I always fast before a test. Thanks Rachox

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are fortunate if you get all the tests every 3 months. I get them at my annual review but only HbA1c and blood pressure at 6 month intervals.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are fortunate if you get all the tests every 3 months. I get them at my annual review but only HbA1c and blood pressure at 6 month intervals.

I just tend to go, I don’t wait to be asked. Think it’s as I don’t take medication so I like to lee a very close eye on my levels, I’ll keep going 3 monthly until someone tells me I can? Hopefully they won’t?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just tend to go, I don’t wait to be asked. Think it’s as I don’t take medication so I like to lee a very close eye on my levels, I’ll keep going 3 monthly until someone tells me I can? Hopefully they won’t?
So far as I know its called a full lipid panel and tell them you are fasted. I usually cajole the phlebotomist into putting my blood in for one..

Reactions: MKD75