What to ask doctors

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I never know what to say when I’m asked if I have any questions, I just shake my head.

I have a consultant in under an hour and have no idea what my questions should be, is there a standard good question list? Be nice to have a good question rather than sitting there looking like a div.

Sounds quite rare for a type 2 to get to see an endo so be a shame to waste it.

Reactions: Speedbird

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Fenn
A few possible general questions:
Ask how they feel about your progress.
Ask about medication doses - do they need changing. If not ask what progress would be needed to have medication adjusted.
Ask about diabetes and retinopathy, neuropathy.
Talk about Low Carb.

Reactions: Fenn

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Fenn do you have any different events/scenarios coming up?
For example, are you going on holiday or have stressful meeting coming up or do you want to take up more exercise and nervous to do so with insulin?
If you have anything like that, you can ask the endo how they would suggest you manage it.

Likewise, if you have had any events recently where you saw your blood sugars do some thing unexpected or difficult to manage, you could ask for advice.

And do you want some new diabetes "toys"? This is your chance to ask if you could have a Libre, for example.
The answers are usually no, but in my experience, if you ask often enough, it is possible to wear them down - they don't know you want something unless you ask.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou guys, this gives me some great ideas, or rather I will copy what you said exactly and pretend they were my ideas :)

Reactions: In Response

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
True to form, after waiting ages to see this person, I decide to plan 30 minutes before :banghead:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctor was brilliant, thanks for advice, he covered everything without me really needing to ask anything.

Changed my diagnosis to type one but I remain unconvinced so will carry on regardless, but he’s putting me forward for freestyle libre on prescription, feel a bit guilty about that bit.

Thankyou

Reactions: Speedbird