What to do???

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in January of 2012 and was put on Insulin for multiple years close to 4 and in that time saw my weight balloon up as a preteen and teenager fast forward to now . I've been put on Liraglutide (not sure on spelling). I was on Cambridge weight plan for almost two years and lost 5 stone but decided to stop it due to missing real food. I then joined slimming world but since then have gained 4+ stone of what I lost on the VLCD. I'm now at my wits end with what to do I did try LCHF at one point but struggled with it . What would you all recommend. I'm currently attempting low ish carbs at 150g max at the moment until I can figure this out. FYI my current weight is 19st 1 and I was 21st a year and a half ago prior to doing the VLCD.

Thanks !!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

My experience of low calorie dieting, and very low calorie dieting mirrors yours. Always successful weight loss, followed by heart breaking regain. Almost as though my body wanted to bob back up to the max weight it had ever been.

Many people around here have had great success with the Newcastle Diet and the 800 calorie Blood Sugar diet, but if you have an established history of yo-yo weight loss then regain, then I would think very carefully before getting on that merry go round again. My advice would be to try and lose weight sllllooooooowwwwwwwllllllyyyyy. It may take longer, but it is so much kinder, and makes the chance of regaining much less likely. And yes, I eat Low Carb, High Fat, and love it. I have lost about 25 pounds over 2 years on it, which probably seems very slow to some. But I have not regained a single pound in that time. No yo-yo, no cravings, no aggro. And I have never gone hungry either. I am now trying Intermittent Fasting too, in the hope of nudging my weight down a bit more, but my aim is always sloooow but sure. :)

Others find their weight loss goes much faster, but then I have other health issues that affect/slow things down.

Do you have any other health issues like polycystic ovary syndrome, or thyroid, anything else that might be affecting things? For some of us, hormonal 'stuff' is the biggest barrier to weight loss we have.

Have a watch of this video talk by Sarah Halberg. She is an obesity doctor, and she tells it how it is.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I must admit that I Don, t agree with the Cambridge weight lose programme. My brother in law did it, he did lose 8 stone and looked great. When he stopped it and ate a ow calorie diet, he put back on 7stone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks @Brunneria I have decided to give LCHF a try again with 5 days very low carb 50g and 2 days at 100-150g (weekends) as this is where I struggle but still give my self some form of restriction with calorie counting to stop me going crazy . As far as I'm aware I don't have any other health issues although the doctors if I'm honest haven't considered any of them as a possibility since I was last tested for PCOS and thyroid issues when I was 13 (11 years ago) so I don't really know :S. I'll definitely watch the video and bear it in mind thanks for the advice. @ally1 VLCDs do have their perks I suppose for quick weight loss for a special occasion and for some people they are a long term solution but I guess just not for me.

Reactions: 3 people