Type 2 What to eat for breakfast

georgedeal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
My first post on this forum!
I have been T2 for nearly 11 years now and am only 57!
Have had lots of ups and downs, but finding things difficult at the moment. I put it down mostly to stress (two house moves in one year!).
I am on metformin and gliclazide (3+2).
Question : what do you eat for breakfast?
I am trying to cut out all carbs from my diet.
Thanks

Hotpepper20000

Welcome!! This is a great place with many people will to help.
If I eat breakfast it's some kind of egg dish. And maybe a bit of grated cheese.
More often it just a strong coffee with a splash of heavy cream and that keeps me full till about 11.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado to a lettuce wrap with mayo mustard and a slice of turkey or chicken. I don't need an big bf. A big bf sets me up for a bad day. Keeping insulin spikes low , therefore keeping bs spikes low are key for me to keep the rest of the day happy.

Carbs don't work for many type 2 at bf. So some protein and fat or just fatnlike double cream in coffee or an egg. IF you're going low carb you'll probably find you require far less food. But it has to be low enough carb to reap the bennies. Fear not the fat low enough carb

D

Deleted member 308541

I eat a lot of omelettes, with grated cheese, and mushrooms, or diced up cold meat, bacon, mixed in for variety.

Reactions: dbr10

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to eat breakfast everyday. I am quite busy and used to to feel dreadful if I didn't eat it. Then along came t2d. Now I dont eat it at all.
This has so many benefits!! Saves time. Saves money. Helps the blood sugar. Helps weight loss. And, most surprisingly, I am far less hungry.
If someone had suggested a few months ago that I just dont eat breakfast I would have laughed at them. Now I think its a really good idea.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on what you mean by cutting out all carbs?
If you mean this literally then you'll more or less be limiting yourself to various selections of meat, poultry, fish and eggs for your meals.

If you're simply cutting right down on carbs then as long as you avoid all high carb/added sugar foods you can eat what you fancy or have the time or inclination to prepare for your breakfast - it doesn't have to be standard brekkie type food. So anything from bacon,eggs, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes, omelettes with or without fillings, yoghurt and berries, yesterday's leftovers, salad and cold meats and cheeses, chicken drumsticks, kippers, smoked salmon, sweet or savoury muffins, selection of nuts, low carb alternative porridge... down to just coffee with double cream, or even saving breaking your fast until later in the day if you choose... And as you can see from other posts too, there are no fixed "rules"!

I simply take each day as it comes, and eat what I fancy or is readily to hand if my stomach says "Hungry!" otherwise I simply have coffee and cream - which is actually quite filling. Sometimes all I need is a glass or two of water, and save eating until later. I've never (since I was a child) been a great breakfast eater so this suits me fine!

If you're eating an LCHF or ketogenic diet, then you should find that replacing carbs with fats helps keep you full and satisfied for much longer, and you don't necessarily want or need to eat regular meals.

Robbity

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
For those that are having a cooked breakfast do you work?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Welcome to the forum :)

I don't tolerate carbs very well at breakfast time so at the moment my favourite breakfasts are eggs and bacon or a sweet vanilla omelette with a few berries or lemon juice.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am sure that some on here do work. How long does it take to fry a couple of eggs and bacon or 2 mins to do an omelette, Porridge in the microwave etc? Some hard-boiled eggs are easy to do also. Or throw in some mushrooms with peppers etc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I skip food at breakfast. I just have a decaf coffee with double cream. Previously I had a soft boiled egg. Previous to that I had a full fat yogurt with milled flaxseed and 2 or 3 strawberries. I find the coffee and cream is best for keeping my levels nice and flat all morning. I am much better with zero carbs in the mornings.

Reactions: dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes.
Although now I have been very low carbing for so long, I can easily skip breakfast most days, if I want.

There are many low carb breakfast options that take little or no prep, from Greek yogurt and berries, to sliced ham and cheese. Scrambled eggs take about 2 mins in the microwave. A pack of sausages can be cooked on Sunday evening, then reheated one or two at a time in the mornings (30 secs per sausage in the microwave). Lidl protein rolls are just like bread, so can replace toast. Also there are a number of very low carb muesli/granola recipes on the internet.

phlox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
My first post on this forum!
I have been T2 for nearly 11 years now and am only 57!
Have had lots of ups and downs, but finding things difficult at the moment. I put it down mostly to stress (two house moves in one year!).
I am on metformin and gliclazide (3+2).
Question : what do you eat for breakfast?
I am trying to cut out all carbs from my diet.
Thanks

I have been T2 for 9 years, now 69 and also on metformin and gliclazide (3+2)
Breakfast is usually Muesli with a banana, sometimes toast with boiled egg.
My weight is under control so not on a low carb diet, just moderation in all things.
I do find that Metformin suppress' my appetite.
Good luck