What to eat?

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Good post Kaz, it's great when you see that someone has obviously got a handle controlling the condition.
Good knowledge as well
You should be first responder sometimes!;):rolleyes:

Thanks Nosher! I wouldn't be where I am without you and Brun though. I'll always be grateful to you both.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had a thought about the coffee cream Wrights83. What type of cream did you use and was the coffee caffeinated?

Caffeinated coffee spikes me by anything up to 1mmol very quickly (even black coffee) and then I soon drop back to where I was. Decaf has no effect at all. Also single cream has a few more carbs than double and affects me slightly more. Fresh is also better than the long life type.

Just little things but they can mean the difference between feeling ok and not.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good to hear you are sounding positive!
Not like a few months ago!

Bet you didn't believe that things could get as good as they are now eh?

Hope you're well and your family as well!

Best wishes, got to get back to work now!

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I used single cream & yes normal caffeinated coffee.

Would anyone advise against sucralose?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had another coffee exactly the same as this morning & hasn't made me feel terrible. Could be caffeine 1st thing in the morning?

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had another coffee exactly the same as this morning & hasn't made me feel terrible. Could be caffeine 1st thing in the morning?

Could be. It seems to affect me worse first thing in the morning too. I can't advise about sucrolose as I don't use sweeteners in drinks, sorry.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear you are sounding positive!
Not like a few months ago!

Bet you didn't believe that things could get as good as they are now eh?

Hope you're well and your family as well!

Best wishes, got to get back to work now!

I'm feeling loads more positive thanks Nosher. 6-8 months ago I felt like my life was practically over as I knew it, that I'd never be able to go out for the day, holidays, eat out etc. A bit dramatic I know!

I've eaten out twice in the last week alone! Enjoyed half term with the kids, instead of worrying I'd have a hypo while I was on my own with them and we're off on holiday for a week soon. Overall, things are greatly improved and hopefully will continue to get better as I keep learning.

I haven't checked my bs for 2 whole days now as I haven't felt I needed to!

Hope all is good with you too? Bet you're missing the football already!!

Don't work too hard in this heat!

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Im starving again! I've eaten so much today. Yet I'm feeling weak & my hands are shaking. If I eat a raw carrot it solves the problem momentarily. Surely I don't have to keep eating every half hour or so.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im starving again! I've eaten so much today. Yet I'm feeling weak & my hands are shaking. If I eat a raw carrot it solves the problem momentarily. Surely I don't have to keep eating every half hour or so.

If your body works at all like mine, you can stabilise blood glucose to a great extent by using protein and fat. Protein digests more slowly than carbs, usually over a couple of hours at least. While fat digests even more slowly.
Try snacking on cheese or nuts or cold meat instead of carby veg.

Nosher likes to eat lots of little meals and snacks. I hate that. can't be doing with the hassle of the washing up apart from anything else. So I eat very low carb (virtually no fruit, only green veg, cauliflower, onions, etc.) with a fair dose of protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs, nuts and seeds), and I often only eat twice a day, but when I eat, they are good sized meals, with additional butter, mayo or cheese to make them digest slowly.

For instance, on a typical day I will have coffeencream instead of breakfast, a large salad, with cheese, olives, tomato, greenery, coleslaw, etc for lunch, then a meat or fish evening meal with veg. I replace potato and rice with cauliflower most of the time, which gives me another excuse for cheese on that. :)

Pudding is rare, but if I have it, it will probably be after evening meal, and be berries and cream.

You need to find out what works for YOU.
Nosher's way of eating would drive me mad, and I am sure he would hate the way I eat, but we have each discovered how to go low carb and make it fit into our lifestyle.

One thing I will add - for the first few days, don't worry about calories. At all. Eat ENOUGH. if you find you are putting on weight after a few days, you can start cutting back, but it is more important to stabilise your bgs than your waistline - for the first few days.

So snack on nuts, seeds, cheese, pepperami, olives, etc. and don't stint. you REALLY don't want to be hungry.

Hope that helps.

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'll snack on what you suggest in between main meals. Yes I like the idea of having 3 main meals. This is going to cost me a fortune! Haha

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to coffee. Coffee makes me jittery and feel hypoish if I drink it 1st thing. I need to eat BF and wait an hour or two. Then I have a small cup and save the rest to pour over ice and drink later.

I do find the type of coffee matters too. Some have extra caffeine and some are processed differently. I actually don't drink it for the caffeine but more the flavor. That being said decaf can bother me even more. More processing I suppose

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I'll definitely not be drinking it in the morning again!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Even though I eat a lot of small meals I f you total it up it won't be much more than Brun has in her two main meals especially when you add the cream she has in her coffee.
Because you are still new to this way of eating you still have the fluctuations in your bloods, hence the symptom of hunger and not feeling full.
Until you get your meter you don't know what is happening.
Eat when you need to but try and be as low carb as you dare.
Nuts will really help and nibbled of cheese and having veg and good fat with your protein, your hunger should abate within a couple of weeks.
You have to bear with it until you get real control.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm feeling loads more positive thanks Nosher. 6-8 months ago I felt like my life was practically over as I knew it, that I'd never be able to go out for the day, holidays, eat out etc. A bit dramatic I know!

I've eaten out twice in the last week alone! Enjoyed half term with the kids, instead of worrying I'd have a hypo while I was on my own with them and we're off on holiday for a week soon. Overall, things are greatly improved and hopefully will continue to get better as I keep learning.

I haven't checked my bs for 2 whole days now as I haven't felt I needed to!

Hope all is good with you too? Bet you're missing the football already!!

Don't work too hard in this heat!

Boy, was it hot today!
I had to do stints in the direct sun! If that doesn't sweat some weight off me!!
So busy tho!

Yes, of course I'm missing the footie, but euro's start on Friday.
And my lot are looking quite good with the signings so far.
Fixtures are out next week.

Will the foxes be the same when Vardy goes to the Gooners, @zand will be pleased with that!

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup blue, black, rasp and strawberries but I would still eat them with some fat like nut butters or many use heavy cream. I don't do dairy.

Many of us drink coffee and has no effect but it does effect some with cortisol issues. Test it

Lots of people do well with just coffee and cream, butter or coconut oil in their coffee and consider it BF. Loads of us have issues with bs in the morning so we either don't eat it or have a high fat low carb BF.

Don't look at this as what you can't have. Look at it as finding a whole new world of delishous foods. Just not the ones your accustomed to. We all don't like giving up foods we love but many of us love the foods we eat now even more.

Well said @Kristin251 I totally love the food I am eating now. More tastier than the 'brown' stuff I ate before diagnosis!

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Would just like to thank you all for your help & advise. I'm feeling so much better today. I've had my breakfast & 1 snack. I'm hungry as it's lunchtime so I will eat in a few minutes. My BS is 5.2 so hopefully it has stabilised now

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Would just like to thank you all for your help & advise. I'm feeling so much better today. I've had my breakfast & 1 snack. I'm hungry as it's lunchtime so I will eat in a few minutes. My BS is 5.2 so hopefully it has stabilised now

When was that reading of 5.2?