What to have with curry instead of rice

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm new to the low carb I've made cauliflower mash tonight.. taste lovely but not right consistency. I used to eat lots of pasta and rice is there anything I could have instead of those or just cut it out altogether and not bother. Any ideas thankyou

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Paulax

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
aubergines and spinach are my favs to have along with a curry and a small amount of carrots with roasted pumpkin seeds.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower rice fried in coconut oil. Garlic mushrooms. Spinach with paneer cheese.:hungry:

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maxjoe121 - Depending on a load of factor, I could choose to simply have a bit more curry, or alternatively, cauliflower rice. Like Mongola, I elect to fry it, although in my world, like to do that in the wok, and it makes it really easy to ensure the "rice" has been folded through enough to distribute the heat.

With curry, I would usually add pilau type spices. It's delicious.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try brown basmati rice. It's only circa 20g carbs per 100g cooked:) Think it's the Asda stuff I've got in the cupboard.

Grant

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to have chicken tikka with a mushroom bahji or something like that and avoid rice altogether.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my favourite Indian side dishes used to be aloo gobi - dry curried potatoes and cauliflower - I now just have it without the potatoes. :p There are various recipes on Google for this.

Robbity

PS Maybe also search the forum as we've had a previous similar thread about riceless curries.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spiralize a lot of different veg as "carriers" for curry, chilli etc - but last week had nothing in except a bag of frozen sliced green beans - steamed a good handful of this for my lamb saag from the local Indian - they were really good and held the sauce really well, they complimented the curry really well

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

Being lazy, I cook the curry, then grate cauliflower (easiest done in a food processor) and tip it in for the last 10 mins of curry cooking.

The result is just like you would have if you cooked it separately then poured curry onto a pile of cauli rice on the plate. With less bother. It also gives the cauli the chance to absorb the curry flavours.

Nothing will ever replace rice, no matter how much we pretty it up, but nowadays, on the rare occasion I taste rice my reaction is 'Boring! Bland, tasteless bulking filler.' That quite surprised me, actually. I guess the focus changes with time. Plus, of course, by not filling up with empty calories and bulk, I can fit in more delicious veg side dishes. Brinjal bhaji, onion bhaji and saag paneer being 1000x better than the same volume in rice. :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried packaged cauliflower rice when on a self-catering holiday recently - now, I will eat pretty much anything, but I really struggled with that stuff! Couldn't bear it.

Never tried ricing or mashing an actual cauliflower, although I do love it in fresh floret format.

But I buy and use 2 x 1kg bags of frozen cauli a week, which I either have as rice or mash (I use 250g for a serving - that's 9g CHO).

I microwave it for 5mins, then either chop it in the mini food processor (rice) or use a stick blender (mash). Lots of salt and pepper - yum!

Last night we had bangers and mash - and I whizzed up the cauli with all the sausage fat I poured from the roasting tin. Sooooooo good.

And frozen cauli makes AMAZING cheese sauce! 5 mins in microwave, half a tub of Philly, a handful of mature cheddar, the juice that has come out of the cauli, plus a little water = cheese sauce! Perfect for - *coughs* - cauliflower cheese, or any kind of oven bake.

:)

Reactions: 4 people

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat cheese with curry. I know it sounds strange, but it actually tastes very nice.
Not easy find out, but at home it works fine. try it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find a small portion of Brown basmati rice doesn't spike my BGS and it is very filling
CAROL

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rice gives me a huge spike, but curry just doesn't seem right without it (and a nan bread)

However, 3 nights ago I was brave and had an M & s lamb rogan josh by itself, no accompaniment at all, 18 grams of carbs, delicious, didn't really miss the rice too much. I if I can do it, anyone can.

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own naan type bread from coconut flour and hot water. I'm pretty sure I found the recipe on the diet doctor.

Poppadums, home made raita, coconut flour naan and a yummy curry with some extra green veg.Yum! Yum!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own naan type bread from coconut flour and hot water. I'm pretty sure I found the recipe on the diet doctor.

Poppadums, home made raita, coconut flour naan and a yummy curry with some extra green veg.Yum! Yum!

Cat - Could you describe how you do your naan?

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Low carb naan bread
3/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tbs psyllium husks
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups boiling water

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
Add oil then boiling water
Mix thoroughly
Allow to rest for 5 mins coveted with a cloth. The dough is thick but flexible ( play doh consistency)
Divide into 6 - 8 pieces ( cover with a cloth again so it stays warm)
Flatten with your hands on parchment paper.
Fry carefully in a non stick frying pan till they turn brown, then turn over. Keep warm in the oven and serve with garlic butter.

I think from memory I have swapped the coconut oil for melted butter at times and have also left it right out.
I find keeping the mix warm enables me to flatten it out much easier.

I am a bit of a slap dash cook and only use a recipe once and then experiment.

My go to flour is a mix of almond flour, coconut flour and golden flax and I am having good results with this mix for baking.
The OH has worked out from low carbing he is gluten intolerant so I can at least keep his sweet tooth satisfied and I can have some every now and then

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

In place of rice, I like a bed of finely shredded lettuce. It soaks up all the curry sauce like rice, but without the carbs. A crunchy lettuce like iceberg or little gem works best.

For a stodgier dish, I like spicy cauli mash with a curry - cauli mash with fried onions, cumin seeds, ginger and garlic paste, turmeric or whatever whizzed though it.