What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

• Yes - Type 1

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • No - Type 1

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Retired - Type 1

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Yes - Type 2

Votes: 106 40.8%
  • No - Type 2

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Retired - Type 2

Votes: 33 12.7%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • No - Other

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Retired - Other

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been type 1 since 1971 and I work as a nurse. I have an active job and I find it easier to control my diabetes since I got a pump.

The only thing I cant do is work rotating shifts so my employers let me work a fixed shift pattern and I only work part time.

colaguzzler

i did work until about 3 years ago i have been type 1 diabetic with epilepsy .
and had always worked ut due to my diabetes i developed neuropathy in both legs
and have little feelng between both knees and mid calfs lower done and i have absolutely
no feeling at all.
plus i have had laser treatment and an eye op for retinpathy.currently i cannot walk any further and about 8-12 steps
and that is with the aid of 2 walking sticks.
what i really would like to know is lately i have also developed ibs(irritable bowel sydrome) which usually lasts about
2 days at a time my gp won't give me anything else but lopermide does anyone know of any other treatment for this
being unable to get out much except ,when my brother takes me to the doctors.

ps i attend the joint renal/diabetic unit at my hospital as i have proteinuria as well the reason being there has always been microscopic amounts of blood in my urine.

bjy80

Type 1 for 26 years & work full time as a weighbridge clerk in a quarry... Currently do 51 hours a week but used to do up to 60 :-( still drains me at the end of the week...

bjy80

colaguzzler said:
i did work until about 3 years ago i have been type 1 diabetic with epilepsy .
and had always worked ut due to my diabetes i developed neuropathy in both legs
and have little feelng between both knees and mid calfs lower done and i have absolutely
no feeling at all.
plus i have had laser treatment and an eye op for retinpathy.currently i cannot walk any further and about 8-12 steps
and that is with the aid of 2 walking sticks.
what i really would like to know is lately i have also developed ibs(irritable bowel sydrome) which usually lasts about
2 days at a time my gp won't give me anything else but lopermide does anyone know of any other treatment for this
being unable to get out much except ,when my brother takes me to the doctors.

ps i attend the joint renal/diabetic unit at my hospital as i have proteinuria as well the reason being there has always been microscopic amounts of blood in my urine.

How long have u been type 1? Sorry to hear of the troubles u are having :-( try & enjoy yr christmas x from australia

solapam

I have type 1 diabetes, diagnosed when I was 46. I have lots of problems keeping my sugar levels low, particularly the 11am level which is always high although coming down for lunchtime. I have recently been given metformin 500mg to see if it will improve my absorbtion of insulin and also help me to lose weight by reducing the amount of insulin I take. Since being changed to levemir I have put on 3 stone and cannot lose hardly anything no matter what I do. Any ideas ?

yarelea

I have been a type 1 diabetic for about 50 years. Although ther are many limitations on lifestyle imposed by this, inability to work is NOT one of them. I would get very angry if anyone suggested I was disabled. I am 73 and still in full time employment.

JoDec60

I have type 2 diagnosed in July 2012 and having my first check up in a couple of weeks. Don't know how my sugar levels are as no way of checking. Lost about 10lb so far. I work full time feeling tired and depressed.

Dealer

I think for people with type 2 diabetes, insulin is a very nice tool that's better if used sooner rather than later. Because what happens in type 2 diabetes is that physicians may use insulin as a threat, an “if you” thing—if you don't lose some weight, if you don't do some exercise, if you don't follow the diet, then you're going to wind up on insulin. That's what i have personally observed.

chezt

Hi im cheryl from sheffield, I've had type 1for 24 years diagnosed when was 17 worse time to get it i think, struggled with it until went on dafne 4 year ago best thing I've ever done, now really good control!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Davears

hi all, im brand new to the forum, I came across it by chance today :).
im 38 years old, and ive had type 1 since I was 5. ive had many struggles with my diabetes and life over the years. in the last 10 years ive had issues with my eyes and eyes and the nerve endings in my feet. this caused me to take cobsiderable time off work. im happy to say that these days my diabetes is well controlled, although not perfectly at all times.
the issues I had changed how much I could handle, and the type of work I was capable of doing. During my time of being signed off work I concentated very hard on my control, and my life. I chose to study during my time off work as a counsellor/psychotherapist, and passed my Degree in 2010. at present im not in paid employment, yet im doing voluntary work, which im hoping will lead to paid.
I have to say that getting my diabetes under control wasnt easy. it took me taking all the advice from my doctors ect, and using that information in a way that suited my lifestyle. personally I think thats the best way!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
10 years T2 recently changed to Humulin M3 50u am 32u pm HBa1c down from 94 to 73 in 2012 and weight from 116kg to 95kg in last 18mnths. Work full time for FGW & look after wife and 2 dogs so life is pretty hectic. Probs with new human based insulin makes life a real strain but wont let it beat me. Family & Friends keep me going even from long distances away particularly the Nuneaton Two A&A whose antics keep me laughing.(Giverny knows who i'm on about!!) Just get on with life and everything it throws at me!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
lukkymik said:
10 years T2 recently changed to Humulin M3 50u am 32u pm HBa1c down from 94 to 73 in 2012 and weight from 116kg to 95kg in last 18mnths. Work full time for FGW & look after wife and 2 dogs so life is pretty hectic. Probs with new human based insulin makes life a real strain but wont let it beat me. Family & Friends keep me going even from long distances away particularly the Nuneaton Two A&A whose antics keep me laughing.(Giverny knows who i'm on about!!) Just get on with life and everything it throws at me!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app
Gotta love them two! Glad they both keep you smiling as much as they keep me smiling :lol:

donnamaguire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed in February 2011, I was off poorly from work when first diagnosed and then within 6 weeks of returning after 10 years in the job and no issues, I was out of a job. I was out of work until getting a new job in June 2012 and have been there since. I am concerned lately though as my tablets being changed in November last year made me really unwell and I have had a total of 9 days off since starting 7 months ago, all diabetes related so hoping they understand the illness and none of these days are through choice and I would much rather be earning money than sat at home feeling ill

AJP

I have had type 1 diabetes for the last 30 years (diagnosed as a child) and been on insulin right from the start! I work and have done so since leaving college. I've traveled extensively and have been fortunate to have two normal pregnancies along the way!! :D

Jim Simpson

Hi I am Jim Simpson I have type 2 and no I do not work.
I had heart problems for a good few years that caused my non working status but now believe (along with my doctor) that the diabetes most likely had a significant input to that condition, prior to being confirmed as me being at one with all you other sufferers.

johnipswich

I have type 2 diagnosed Oct 2012

Now on insulin and metformin

I work full time as a AA roadside patrol and member of the Special Operations Response Team
Check out @AASORT on twitter to see what we do or search 'flooded Bentley recovery' on YouTube.