What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you're ok
Thanks for asking. Problem was recurrence of an Ectopic heart beat was driving me crazy last night. Supposed to be benign but it sure stresses me out, hence the lack of sleep. I have had this before which I put down to caffeine. Still feeling the extra beats but not sure what causing this bout. Possibly caffeine again although I only drink decaf. Tried to keep off the tea but don't have much else I can drink. Just measured bloods at 21:46 and they are 5.9 so higher than I would expect so it is likely another, higher than I would like, FBG tomorrow. So frustrating.
Hugs ryhia x
Thanks - hoping for a better night tonight.

mariposarosa

Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?

Hello. I’m type 2. My waking level was 11.6 at 7am. That’s only one point lower than at 10pm last night despite 1g SR metformin twice a day. This is better than a week ago when I hit 25.6 at one point but I don’t seem to be able to reduce it further. I’ve cut out all carbs with a typical day being breakfast 2 eggs, lunch oxtail soup and tea salmon or chicken with veg. Drinking tea, no sugar of course. Am going back to see nurse on Monday but any pointers in the meantime would be helpful.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I’m type 2. My waking level was 11.6 at 7am. That’s only one point lower than at 10pm last night despite 1g SR metformin twice a day. This is better than a week ago when I hit 25.6 at one point but I don’t seem to be able to reduce it further. I’ve cut out all carbs with a typical day being breakfast 2 eggs, lunch oxtail soup and tea salmon or chicken with veg. Drinking tea, no sugar of course. Am going back to see nurse on Monday but any pointers in the meantime would be helpful.

Hi and welcome to the thread.

Sounds like you are doing great with your bloods if they were initially 25.6 and you have seen 11.6 today, keep doing what you are doing. Don't know if you are testing before and around 2 hrs after meals. This is useful as it gives you some indication how your body responds to the meal you have eaten. You don't want to see your bloods rise more than 2mmol. Useful to keep a food diary. It sounds as if it is early days for you. The food I was recommended to eat by my DN, I found I couldn't touch without raising my bloods to levels I would not want to see, things like sweet potato, brown bread, brown rice, porridge, etc. so be careful, test, test, test, it seemed to me the food they recommended is more about protecting your heart than getting your diabetes under control. My DN even gave me a healthy heart eating plan instead of a diabetic eating plan as she had run out of the latter. Just remember too, that the mindset of DNs are that they are used to prescribing meds because this is the "norm". Most people seem to be content to take meds which I find so sad. Had a conversation with my sister yesterday who does not control her diabetes very well she is Type 2 insulin dependent. She was quite impressed at how much weight I have lost plus how much my bloods are better controlled than hers, but at the same time is not prepared to give up her biscuits. You can take a horse to water etc.

Keep going, its a long haul but there is plenty of support and encouragement on this forum.

Cheers C.

mariposarosa

Hi and welcome to the thread.

Sounds like you are doing great with your bloods if they were initially 25.6 and you have seen 11.6 today, keep doing what you are doing. Don't know if you are testing before and around 2 hrs after meals. This is useful as it gives you some indication how your body responds to the meal you have eaten. You don't want to see your bloods rise more than 2mmol. Useful to keep a food diary. It sounds as if it is early days for you. The food I was recommended to eat by my DN, I found I couldn't touch without raising my bloods to levels I would not want to see, things like sweet potato, brown bread, brown rice, porridge, etc. so be careful, test, test, test, it seemed to me the food they recommended is more about protecting your heart than getting your diabetes under control. My DN even gave me a healthy heart eating plan instead of a diabetic eating plan as she had run out of the latter. Just remember too, that the mindset of DNs are that they are used to prescribing meds because this is the "norm". Most people seem to be content to take meds which I find so sad. Had a conversation with my sister yesterday who does not control her diabetes very well she is Type 2 insulin dependent. She was quite impressed at how much weight I have lost plus how much my bloods are better controlled than hers, but at the same time is not prepared to give up her biscuits. You can take a horse to water etc.

Keep going, its a long haul but there is plenty of support and encouragement on this forum.

Cheers C.

thanks for your reply. You’ve given me some good pointers. Interesting advice about the testing. I thought I should be testing more often. The DN said the strips were expensive and I had to push to get them prescribed. I was told to just test upon waking and before my main meal but this doesn’t give me any clue as to the effects of individual meals. I will have to buy some strips I guess. Thanks for your advice.

Barb McD

I use GI as my food indicator - 4 years 35kg lighter no insulin - all I did was change EVERYTHING
Sad that meds are being held in such contempt as metformin helps so many. Take the tips, advice & genuinely well meant anecdotes - and pick what you think will help. We are not doctors, we are real time life lovers ‍♀️. All good things to you