What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JuliePerks

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
4.9 @ 6.30AM

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hate to be negative but this and the other thread along the same lines strikes me as pointless and makes me feel very inadequate. I am probably not alone with this view as it would appear that only a small number of regulars post. The lowest I have ever managed was 6.9 maybe it would be more relevant to ask if you have a low fasting reading what was the previous days readings before and after meals? What do you attribute to low reading to?
Hi @AlbertoLaidlaw You shouldn't feel inadequate. Your signature shows you lowered your HbA1c from 64 to 49 in 3 months. That is a bigger reduction than mine in the first 3 months after diagnosis. Our bodies are all different and will respond more slowly or faster for different people. It does seem that many forum members don't post their figures, it is a pity because we all learn from each other.
As for posting pre and post meal readings, I only test first thing in the morning usually. I attribute lower readings to what I have eaten the previous day, but other factors like stress or illness/infection also influence them. I think my readings might be a bit higher at present because of hayfever.

Edit: My reading this morning was 6.9 which I think was because I had 12 squares of 70% Orange & Ginger Dark chocolate last night. But I am happy with anything under 7.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Mandy and Prem I take my readings first thing in the morning now and only after I have perhaps eaten something new during the day. I now have a god idea of what makes me spike. Mornings are a frustration this week I have had 9.0 today, 8.6 Thursday , 7.6 Wednesday and 7.8 Tuesday and 9.1 on Monday Sunday was for me a shocking 10.5 . During the day I can have reading less than 7 two hours after a meal.

Reactions: 6 people

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tested at 6.45, got up for a pee (4.5 then), then had a bit of a lie-in till 9.30 (6.1) so I'm not unhappy.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mandy and Prem I take my readings first thing in the morning now and only after I have perhaps eaten something new during the day. I now have a god idea of what makes me spike. Mornings are a frustration this week I have had 9.0 today, 8.6 Thursday , 7.6 Wednesday and 7.8 Tuesday and 9.1 on Monday Sunday was for me a shocking 10.5 . During the day I can have reading less than 7 two hours after a meal.
Morning fbg readings might be higher because of 'Dawn Phenomenon' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood stream on waking to get you going. Those DP readings should reduce as your liver uses up the stored glucose.

My morning reading today was 7.0, which I think is probably higher due to DP as I didn't eat much last night.

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi mine was at 11.7 fasting, it can be higher but I can't get it down, any help if poss.
Hi @dawnieuk6 how much carbs are you having daily? Is main meal more than a quarter carbs? Carbs for supper? Supper is better made up of protein and only little. It will help with liver dump early morning too.
Let me know how things improve. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @AlbertoLaidlaw how long have you been eating low carb? I see you're a newbie. Please give your body a chance to settle down. Your body needs a chance to get rid of the excess glucose that carbs have made before reducing your carb intake. Some find they have to lower there carbs more for lower bgs.
Let us know how you get on. Many get impatient at this stage due to the hard workalready been put in.

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fbg 4.3 due to less insulin and r-ala suppliment. I'll reduce my insulin more this week. Hope my weekly weight loss doesn't stop.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Prem thanks for your advice re DP I am aware of it and its effect. I have reduced my carb intake to below 100 grams per day and obviously have had a result on my hba1c I am to go for a update in June . So are you saying glycogen is not a constant measurement in my liver and will reduce with time. Do I need to reduce my carb intake further?