What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your input, @Key_master_.

Yes, initially I wasn't concerned either -- especially as my GP was talking ketoacidosis -- which given a blood sugar level of 4.6 at the time of the urine test wasn't really a concern in my mind.

But then I was getting increasingly concerned, especially after the blood gas test, which showed a ph-level of 7.2 and low sodium bicarbonate levels. So, I googled this a bit and found that acidic blood levels can lead to muscle degeneration and bone loss in the long run -- so probably not a good thing.
As you said you have been exercising, did you see if lactic acid produces the same effects on blood gas? You maybe burning away fat as energy hence the higher keytones. Again with low blood sugur they are perfectly fine and from understanding meaning your bodies burning the fat and not storing it.

Reactions: ziggy_w
D

Diabeticliberty

Hi @Diabeticliberty,

Yes, I was really happy to see my fasting blood sugars in the fours today, albeit high fours.

About three to four weeks ago, I had my check-up and the GP noticed high ketones in the urine. He sent me to the hospital for a blood gas analysis -- the result showed that my blood was slightly acidic.

I suspect, this was because too much exercise, not enough food and especially not enough protein for the previous one to two months. Anyway, my GP suggested to change my diet to reduce my ketones.

So, I've been trying to up my protein lately and reduce my exercise -- unfortunately at the costs of somewhat higher blood sugar levels (initially 1 mmol, now about 1/2 mmol) that didn't come down for many, many hours. So, quite frustrating since I seem to obsess easily. Happier now though after my blood sugars have settled a bit and ketones are a bit lower.

Diabeticliberty -- I am glad to hear about your grand day yesterday. What time did you get home? I am sure the headache will pass, but your memory of a fun birthday will remain.

I got home at 5.15am give or take a couple of weeks

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
20.1 I feel dreadful. Was at 7.2 at 2100 hours. Shot up to 13.2 by midnight so had a few units to sort that. Isn’t helping I’m now being made into a case conference and still waiting after over two months to switch insulin by my diabetes nurse just to change from novorapid to actrapid, both gp and dsn have been totally unsupported of my low carb journey and I’m thriving on it. I’m so stressed by the way I’ve been treated night times just go bonkers..
Hope things settle for you soon

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My morning BG was 7.1. I'm happy with this because it is down from yesterday. I took it a bit easier yesterday, and made sure to drink more water through the day, something I sort of forget to do sometimes. I think it helped to get a better number today. Cheers.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cheers for all the love and support this morning, cranked that nasty 20.2 down to a 6.3 before swimming, 2 dextros and 1275m later I feel brand new and sugars now in a nice post exercise range of 7.1

Time for my treat of the week a piece of quiche and green salad in our favourite coffee shop.

Have a lovely weekend folks ;)

D

Diabeticliberty

That will be me in the morning off to a party tonight il have me paracetamol lined up by me bed an a list for the hubby with my breakfast requirements glad you had a great day enjoy rest of weekend mr d

Hey, hey hey Lady K, I hope you have a spiffing time at your party. Please stay on the narrow path and don't do as I do. Do as I say. Please drink Tizer. Wine and whisky just make you crash and burn. My old mammy used to always tell me if wine, women and song are getting too much then you'd better give up singing. I hope you have a wonderful evening :)

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It’s getting beyond a joke now. 2 whole months I’ve needed this insulin for, had to wait til end of sept just to sit down with my dsn. busting my balls getting this new lifestyle change in place and results are lovely compared to my pre low carb. Miss the chaser jab for the protein and I may as well of ate a chippy or Chinese..

I have seen in my job the levels of service from surgeries day in day out. It seems to be a case of are the surgeries there for the patients or are the patients there for the surgeries.? Take your pick.

Remember in one confrontation with my GP’S practice telling her that the levels of service were deplorable ( sanitised version ). I got no reply. Am surprised to still be on their practice list after that. Maybe the truth struck home.

D

Diabeticliberty

My morning BG was 7.1. I'm happy with this because it is down from yesterday. I took it a bit easier yesterday, and made sure to drink more water through the day, something I sort of forget to do sometimes. I think it helped to get a better number today. Cheers.

7.1 is a very respectable number to be waking on. You have this type 1 thingy on the run methinks :)

Reactions: Granny_grump_
D

Diabeticliberty

Cheers for all the love and support this morning, cranked that nasty 20.2 down to a 6.3 before swimming, 2 dextros and 1275m later I feel brand new and sugars now in a nice post exercise range of 7.1

Time for my treat of the week a piece of quiche and green salad in our favourite coffee shop.

Have a lovely weekend folks ;)

I hope you are able to get the result that you deserve. You are obviously working your harris off for it. They might try showing you at least a little bit of support.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, hey hey Lady K, I hope you have a spiffing time at your party. Please stay on the narrow path and don't do as I do. Do as I say. Please drink Tizer. Wine and whisky just make you crash and burn. My old mammy used to always tell me if wine, women and song are getting too much then you'd better give up singing. I hope you have a wonderful evening :)
Thanks mr d il try not stray from the path

Reactions: Ymdawd and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you said you have been exercising, did you see if lactic acid produces the same effects on blood gas? You maybe burning away fat as energy hence the higher keytones. Again with low blood sugur they are perfectly fine and from understanding meaning your bodies burning the fat and not storing it.

Hi @Key_master_,

Sorry for the late reply -- have been out and about today. Yes, you are right, it could be too much exercise, it could be too little food overall, or just not enough protein, or a combination of the three. Hard to tell really. Anyway, it seems I overdid things a bit.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better now and hope you get your insulin sorted with your surgery soon.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A surprisingly high 7,2 mmol/l today on waking up. I checked before going to bed and two hours after dinner last night and I was at 5,7. Dinner was not unusually high in carbs, so no idea where this high count came from! I have the first signs of a runny nose so that may be it.

Went on a 5km 47minute walk and this saw my sugars down to 4,9mmol/l before breakfast.

Plan to go on an organized cross country walk later on this morning.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday

a1ad3fb42afefbd8fbf0d8acf94591a5.jpg

D

Diabeticliberty

Gaur goizean nire cute diabetea txikitu egiten da. Zure igandean eguzkia eta euria bete ahal izango dituzu. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 my blood sugars are 3.5. I have bought myself a DVD called teach yourself how to be a diabetic rapper and this little ditty is my first attempt. To further my attempts you may see me typing 'You know what I mean?' quite a lot. Have yourselves an action packed and fun filled frolicking Sunday. You know what I mean?