What's Going On

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recently diagnosed type 2 only 8 weeks ago I'm 57 and over weight.
Any way here is my question.
Yesterday I wasn't able to catch a meal all day, thought my levels would be low , to my amazement it was 11.9 at 18.10
I then ate my tea tested at 20.53 and it was 16.9 i then went to bed feeling dismal.
I woke at 23.55 feeling really crummy so I can down tested again thinking it was higher only to find I was now 3.6 what's happening here?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

Could you give us a little more detail, please. What, if any, medication/s you are on and if you have adjusted your diet, a typical day's menu would help as we may be able to make suggestions.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

Could you give us a little more detail, please. What, if any, medication/s you are on and if you have adjusted your diet, a typical day's menu would help as we may be able to make suggestions.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.
Hi Guzzler
I'm currently taking 1000mg of Metformin twice a day 5mg of Ramipril and 40mg of Atorvastation
Currently I guess I'm still trying to deal with the realization that I can no long carry on the the life style I had.
I work as a Technical health and Safety professional for a Dutch Shipping and Logistics company here in the UK
So a lot of travelling, petrol station food ext.
I finding the need to change impossible

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Work that involves a lot of travel and perhaps disruption to routine is a tricky one. There are a few snack ideas and full menu recipes on Dietdoctor.com and Ditchthecarbs.com that may help you. It will mean a bit more forward planning but lowering the amount of carbohydrates in your diet is your first port of call (sorry for that appalling pun!). Metformin will not have a dramatic affect on blood glucose levels, it may lower them by 1mmol/2mmol but it is considered a good drug that works in the background to aid the liver.

I cannot address the problem of those high numbers as the cause could be related to any of the following:
stress, the recent hot weather, a rogue reading due to contaminated fingers or dud strip, liver dump (aka Dawn Phenomena), infection. As well as the usual dietary choices which is the first and probably greatest cause that we can influence.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@supersonic

Hello Supersonic and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I wasn't able to catch a meal all day, thought my levels would be low , to my amazement it was 11.9 at 18.10
I then ate my tea tested at 20.53 and it was 16.9 i then went to bed feeling dismal.
I woke at 23.55 feeling really crummy so I can down tested again thinking it was higher only to find I was now 3.6 what's happening here?
Were you prescribed statins the same time that you were diagnosed - the reason I ask is that I felt ill on them and kept having dizzy spells. I’ve never been on Metforim so can’t help you there.

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were you prescribed statins the same time that you were diagnosed - the reason I ask is that I felt ill on them and kept having dizzy spells. I’ve never been on Metforim so can’t help you there.
Hi Daphne917
Yep got the Statins at the same time.
Funny thing is I only went to the doctors because I'd got pins and needles in my wrist . Should've let sleepy dogs lie.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Those figures are high, but there are any number of things that may have caused them. The heat, your liver dumping because you have not eaten, what you did eat, even some statins may tend to raise bg levels ( check the label inside the box for possible side effects). It may take a bit of planning on your part but it will be well worth it. Do try to reduce your carbs, it may help you to lose weight as well as get bg control back. It is tempting to rely on sandwiches or a pie when eating meals on the go but a box of salad with a meat of choice prepared the night before and stored overnight in the fridge, chilled soups, omelettes etc are all good to eat and lower carb.
Do you know why you were prescribed a statin? Sometimes it is a HCP following the guide that tells them that everyone over a particular age should be taking them. There are a number of people on this site who fall into that category but no longer take the pills because of the side effects, feel much better for doing so and their blood results have improved since eating low carb. the change of diet seems to be key with a little more exercise to improve muscle tone.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there supersonic. Welcome to the forum.

Diagnosis can be a big shock, and particularly where you had no apparent symptoms at the time. Hoever, on the upside, you are testing your bloods so at least you are empowewred with personal, real time feedback on what might be going on.

It usually takes a short while to wrangle the numbers into a decent range, but it can be done. For most of us diagnosed with T2, it becomes apparent that what we eat and drink is the most powereful weapon in our armoury.

Going onto your levels, the double digit numbers aren't ideal, by some stretch, but not at all uncommon in the newly diagnosed. The 3.6 is a bit less usual. Did you retest thatnumber at all? I think all of us have had the odd rogue reading - high and low, so it's always usueful jut to recheck when the number is unexpacted.

What, if any, action did you take when you saw the number?

What sorts of things do you like to eat and drink? With some of that info folks can make suggestions that could be appropriate to you.

Reactions: supersonic

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those figures are high, but there are any number of things that may have caused them. The heat, your liver dumping because you have not eaten, what you did eat, even some statins may tend to raise bg levels ( check the label inside the box for possible side effects). It may take a bit of planning on your part but it will be well worth it. Do try to reduce your carbs, it may help you to lose weight as well as get bg control back. It is tempting to rely on sandwiches or a pie when eating meals on the go but a box of salad with a meat of choice prepared the night before and stored overnight in the fridge, chilled soups, omelettes etc are all good to eat and lower carb.
Do you know why you were prescribed a statin? Sometimes it is a HCP following the guide that tells them that everyone over a particular age should be taking them. There are a number of people on this site who fall into that category but no longer take the pills because of the side effects, feel much better for doing so and their blood results have improved since eating low carb. the change of diet seems to be key with a little more exercise to improve muscle tone.
Hi Phoenix55

It was all really wierd to be honest ,I went to the doctor's because I had pins and needles in my wrist . After checking my blood pressure which was 179 over 97 she sent me straight to the hospital for a blood test. My Hba1c came back at 59 not sure if that's bad or what to be honest? and my cholesterol was also high .The rest is history

Last edited:

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there supersonic. Welcome to the forum.

Diagnosis can be a big shock, and particularly where you had no apparent symptoms at the time. Hoever, on the upside, you are testing your bloods so at least you are empowewred with personal, real time feedback on what might be going on.

It usually takes a short while to wrangle the numbers into a decent range, but it can be done. For most of us diagnosed with T2, it becomes apparent that what we eat and drink is the most powereful weapon in our armoury.

Going onto your levels, the double digit numbers aren't ideal, by some stretch, but not at all uncommon in the newly diagnosed. The 3.6 is a bit less usual. Did you retest thatnumber at all? I think all of us have had the odd rogue reading - high and low, so it's always usueful jut to recheck when the number is unexpacted.

What, if any, action did you take when you saw the number?

What sorts of things do you like to eat and drink? With some of that info folks can make suggestions that could be appropriate to you.
Hi DCUKMod

To be honest when I saw the low sugar level, I drank a can of Sprite .
I have a real passion for all things spicy Indian, Chinese, lol just food in general.
To be honest I hate this diagnosis it's turned my life upside down, and to honest I'm not coping too well. My wife packs me up simpathic pack lunches ,but a find myself seeking out to the chippy or the burger van.
If she reads this post, there's likely going to be murder commited.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure about the Hba1c being 39 - that is absolutely normal - not even prediabetic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DCUKMod

To be honest when I saw the low sugar level, I drank a can of Sprite .
I have a real passion for all things spicy Indian, Chinese, lol just food in general.
To be honest I hate this diagnosis it's turned my life upside down, and to honest I'm not coping too well. My wife packs me up simpathic pack lunches ,but a find myself seeking out to the chippy or the burger van.
If she reads this post, there's likely going to be murder commited.

To be honest, supersonic, the drop you saw when you saw it seems quite extraordinary, but it could be, so please don't think I either disbelieve you orr that you have acted rashly. You did what you felt was best.

I tend to run quite low numbers; not deliberately, it's just how my body works since I got things under control, but if I see a low number and having checked it, it is indeed low, I tend to just have a cup of tea, with milk, or something, just to nudge my numbers a bit. As T2s our bodies are pretty good at keeping us safe. On the meds your on, you aren't likely to have a medically concerning hypo, although that's not to say a hypo wouldn't be uncomfortable or unpleasant.

When you mention your wife packs you us sympathetic lunches, what sort of things does she include? Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to work out wich of your preeferred foods you can have, and what has tobe foregone, for now at least.

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, supersonic, the drop you saw when you saw it seems quite extraordinary, but it could be, so please don't think I either disbelieve you orr that you have acted rashly. You did what you felt was best.

I tend to run quite low numbers; not deliberately, it's just how my body works since I got things under control, but if I see a low number and having checked it, it is indeed low, I tend to just have a cup of tea, with milk, or something, just to nudge my numbers a bit. As T2s our bodies are pretty good at keeping us safe. On the meds your on, you aren't likely to have a medically concerning hypo, although that's not to say a hypo wouldn't be uncomfortable or unpleasant.

When you mention your wife packs you us sympathetic lunches, what sort of things does she include? Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to work out wich of your preeferred foods you can have, and what has tobe foregone, for now at least.
Well my wife a retired shook teacher so she he has trawled the net for information
So it's salads with chicken stuff like that, also she packs me up serial for my breakfast ,so it's 30 grams of what ever

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my wife a retired shook teacher so she he has trawled the net for information
So it's salads with chicken stuff like that, also she packs me up serial for my breakfast ,so it's 30 grams of what ever

Cereals can be a real challenge for many T2s.

I suggest you test just before eating, then 2 hours after you start your meal, to see what any given food/meal does to/for you. Generally, you're looking for numbers 7.8 or under, of up to 2.0 more than you started, although it can take a while to get there, in terms of adjustments.

Once you start with that sor tof regime, you quickly gain an understanding of where your blood glucose rocket fuel foods are.

Don't expact it all to fall into place ummediately. Most decide on a plan of action, then end up tweaking and adjusting along the way.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Phoenix55

It was all really wierd to be honest ,I went to the doctor's because I had pins and needles in my wrist . After checking my blood pressure which was 179 over 97 she sent me straight to the hospital for a blood test. My Hba1c came back at 39 not sure if that's bad or what to be honest? and my cholesterol was also high .The rest is history

Your A1c at 39 is in the non-diabetic range, so either you have very frisky blood sugars or you haven't been diabetic long at all.

Keep a real close eye on things and if your numbers start going haywirer (rising alarmingly) then seek assistance sooner, rather than later.

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your A1c at 39 is in the non-diabetic range, so either you have very frisky blood sugars or you haven't been diabetic long at all.

Keep a real close eye on things and if your numbers start going haywirer (rising alarmingly) then seek assistance sooner, rather than later.

Hi made a mistake on the figure , it was actually 59

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi made a mistake on the figure , it was actually 59

Ah. That's in the diabetic ange, as you already apprerciate.

If you want to, you can alter your 39 to 59, or if you're usure how to do that, I can change it for you, if you like.

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah. That's in the diabetic ange, as you already apprerciate.

If you want to, you can alter your 39 to 59, or if you're usure how to do that, I can change it for you, if you like.
Yes please