what's happening?

Imhere

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello everyone
I had a health check up and I got my result today it says my fasting blood sugar is about 5.2 what's happening? Am I getting diabetes?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone
I had a health check up and I got my result today it says my fasting blood sugar is about 5.2 what's happening? Am I getting diabetes?

No, you're not. That's a perfectly normal non-diabetic reading :)

Reactions: michaela2015

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone

No. That's a completely normal non diabetic fasting blood sugar. Nothing is happening.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Imhere and welcome to the forum. That's a great non-diabetic figure. Under 7.0 mmol/L is non-diabetic. 7-7.7mmol/L is pre-diabetic. 7.8mmol/L and above would be diabetic.

Imhere

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Imhere Was it a finger prick test, or a full HbA1c test where a vial of blood is taken from your arm and sent to lab for analysis?

Edit: If it was a full HbA1c blood test, that measures your blood sugars over the last 8-12 weeks, so it doesn't matter whether or not you have eaten in the last 12 hours.
A finger prick test only measures your blood sugar level at that moment, so it can be affected by a number of factors, including what you have eaten recently, but also by tiredness, stress, infection and other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's still normal. When we don't eat, the liver helps out by releasing glucose (glucagon) into the blood stream to help us have energy for the day ahead. BG levels will usually fall a couple of hours after eating your first meal. That's why doctors take a fasting test, it's likely to be the highest one of the day (apart from the 2 hours slot after you have had a meal, and again a rise within 2 hours is perfectly OK)

I am happy if my fasting BG is 5.9 or less.

Relax. Your GP would let you know if you had diabetes. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Imhere

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
@Imhere Was it a finger prick test, or a full HbA1c test where a vial of blood is taken from your arm and sent to lab for analysis?

Edit: If it was a full HbA1c blood test, that measures your blood sugars over the last 8-12 weeks, so it doesn't matter whether or not you have eaten in the last 12 hours.
A finger prick test only measures your blood sugar level at that moment, so it can be affected by a number of factors, including what you have eaten recently, but also by tiredness, stress, infection and other things.
They got a sample from my arm.it wasn't only for blood sugar ,other things like thyroid ,CRP ,... involved.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stop worrying, it's still normal. :) Do you have an appointment booked with your GP to discuss the blood test results?

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They got a sample from my arm.it wasn't only for blood sugar ,other things like thyroid ,CRP ,... involved.

It's perfectly normal to,screen for a number of things when you have blood taken. It doesn't necessarily mean you have any of those things. Your fasting blood sugar result was normal.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have annual tests for thyroid levels as I have hypothyroidism and take levothyroxene. I was diagnosed as diabetic as a result of my 2015 test. But my HbA1c blood sugar level was 7.9 mmol/L.
As we have all said, yours is non-diabetic. Relax! :)

Imhere

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello again .I have another question to ask,is it possible that a person gets diabetes over a night?or it has a gradual development till it become diabetes?

Thank you I'm advance!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don´t know what the tipping point could be, but actually I think most devellop it slowly in maybe the same rate as ones fat gather around our waist... and even having begun as lower level of insuline resistance long before it got too hard for our body to try to counter act this is type 2 diabetes I am talking about here..

type 1 is the body making antibodies against the pancreas.

and then there also is pancreatitis infection in pancreas and also cancer in pancreas...which I guess can come in different times

well just guessing about it all.... maybe some do know more of this than I do I think so actually..

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello again .I have another question to ask,is it possible that a person gets diabetes over a night?or it has a gradual development till it become diabetes?

Thank you I'm advance!

@Imhere

The numbers you reported here weren't diabetic @Imhere

If you're continuing to have concerns about your health, your doctor should be able to put your mind at rest.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you I'm advance!

What makes you think that you may be diabetic? Do you have a family history of Diabetes? Are you always thirsty and urinate a lot?
If the answer to these questions in NO then stop worrying. If you eat sensibly you may NEVER become Diabetic.

Reactions: Prem51

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you I'm advance!
Type 2 is much more gradual, when i was diagnosed with type 1 i had a blood test about 4 weeks before diagnosis (for a check up) and all my bloods came back normal, 4 weeks later after feeling very unwell my bloods came back 32!!!