What's left?

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
I have been T2 for a number of years and always had problems keeping sugars down.
I have always been a fussy eater and now I find almost everything I like is bad for me.
I work 14 hours daily walking 10miles daily and very active climbing structures.
My calorie count is very low compared to my requirement but it's all the wrong food (Carbs).
Is it best to utilise protein drinks instead of meals to up my calorie count?
I'm on three Metformin, morn noon dinner and also one glicicide at 6pm. Even thought stopping tablets completely and going for diet control.
Any guidance would be useful.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you change what you eat (and stick to it), your tastes will change. Personally, I would keep off the protein drinks and concentrate on real food. You can soon increase calories with eggs, butter, cream, cheese, fatty meats, oily fish, nuts, avocados and olive oil. Put these with real vegetables and fresh salad items and you life will change! At the moment, you may not like them, but your body will. Have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for lots of information about proper food and diabetes. If you are full of the right sort of foods, you won't crave the wrong ones.
Sally

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I added 2 stone when I stopped metformin in 2000. I'm struggling to return to metformin but I'd love to experience its weight loss benefit again. I will persist.
Low carbing is an excellent way of keeping bgs lower.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My advice is resolve today to start a new lifestyle as the benefits will be tremendous. Put things in the balance, the short term hit of carbs against your liver, heart, pancreas, kidneys, nerves and eyes; let alone the impact of poor control on your relationships and general help. If you select LCHF and really embrace it, there is a lot of variety. For example real foods such as meat, fish, vegetables, and nuts. Bacon, eggs, berries and cheese. Experiment and maybe learn to cook a little. There is LCHF meal ideas forum on this site, diet doctor has great recipes as does youtube - best of luck / judgement.

Reactions: ickihun

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
What's LCHF?
My weight is not an issue as I have trained all my life it's keeping my energy levels high that I'm struggling with.
As for Meats and Fish I have never eaten these except tuna with lots of mayo and bacon.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF = low carb high fat. It's the High Fat bit which keeps your energy levels high. This is how your body is designed to work, like putting the right fuel in a car.
Tuna, mayo and bacon is a good LCHF meal, but it's time to broaden your horizons. There is a whole, new exciting world out there to explore. Have a good read round the sites suggested above and then choose something simple to try out. One step at a time.
Sally