What's the best after exercise food

A

Anonymous

I heard someone on here mention of a 4:1 ratio following exercise, but I can't find it now.

I want to promote muscle development/strength after exercise (swimming at the moment but cycling too when it's a bit lighter in the evenings). What's the best food to use, given I'm low carbing at the moment ?

saz1

I usually have a protein thing like an egg or two esp after morning exercise and some chicken or tuna with some veg or salad in the day.

Grazer

Definitely a Fry's chocolate orange cream. Won't do you any good but tastes great! :thumbup:

Grazer

Choco, you seem to have an auto-alert that draws you to any thread mentioning "chocolate"!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know :D

I am hoping reading about it will satisfy my cravings so I won't need to eat it :lol:

Let's just say it's not working-I can't stop thinking about and eating the stuff :oops:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I read somewhere that LDL cholesterol is essential for building muscle. I can't remember where - but it's something I've been meaning to read up on for a while...

Is that 4:1 ratio protein:fat?

Karlm

Dislikes
Diabetes.
Milk is the best way of getting a 4:1 ratio of protein and fat after exercise but use your own judgment on whether this would harm you or benefit you. It works for me and I drink whole milk as its lower in carbs.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi flipa
I see from your profile that you are not Diabetic, Fruit juice would not be a good idea for most Diabetics and certain fruits would cause too high a blood glucose level also.
CAROL

A

Anonymous

filpa said:
Eating after working out is important because it helps the body recover.It is also important to consume carbohydrate, such as fruit or juice) within 15 minutes post-exercise to help restore glycogen. dairy foods are good high-protein foods. Choose the low-fat versions to aid your overall health. Dairy foods include eggs, egg substitutes, all varieties of milk (dried, evaporated and/or fresh), ice cream, ice milk and yogurt. Hard and soft cheeses are rich sources of protein, states nutritiondata.com. Hard cheeses include Colby, cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan and Monterey jack. Soft cheeses include cottage, brie, ricotta and blue cheese.

I'm not sure this would be right for many type 2's. As has been already pointed out, fruit juice is a bad idea for most diabetics. I don't want to add carbohydrate to my diet if I can avoid it, but do need to make sure that exercise doesn't bring me too low. Milk and Cheese are fine.

Can someone explain what Glycogen is and why I would need to restore it (or would have lost it in the first place). I thought it was related to starch?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
If you are going to eat after exercise don't. Your insulin levels will be elevated and you're asking to store it all as fat.

You're much better off eating a small amount of carbs before you exercise to help your recovery.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - that's what I've been trying to do (cue recipe for Almond Porridge) and that seems to be working..