What's the best insulin calculator

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
I'm still fairly new to this lark and have been using the 1:10 ratio, bit my bg levels are up and down , if I test after a meal and it's high I'll try to eat less for the next meal but when I do that I leave myself hungry and looking for a snack afterwards I've read a few bits on using a insulin calculator where you put your last bg the next bg you want the amount of carbs in the meal, it works out the insulin you should administer, has anyone ever used one of these and if so which one is best

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Instead of reducing the carbs at the next meal and being hungry just take enough insulin for the carbs in that next meal. Be prepared to tweak the 1:10 ratio slightly if needed as long as you test.

D

Deleted Account

You may need to tweak the insulin to carb ratio but you also need to consider the insulin sensitivity factor - ISF (how much does your BG go down after 1 unit of insulin) for corrections.
Even if you have a calculator (some BG meters do this), you will need to know your ISF to program your calculator.

Could you talk to your diabetes team for a new meter? The advantage of a meter to do it is there is less you need to type into the calculator.
They should also be able to help with your ISF.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
if I test after a meal and it's high I'll try to eat less for the next meal but when I do that I leave myself hungry
I don't know anything about insulin calculators but why would you eat less for your next meal? It's the carbs that make you go up, not the fats and protein. So instead of going hungry you could eat some more meat, cheese, eggs, nuts (mind, not all are very low carb), butter, some vegetables (with cheese, butter, cream or cubed bacon :hungry:).
All those low carbing T2's on the forum have some very good ideas about foods that won't spike you so much, those are my go to foods when I'm on the high side but hungry too :)

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using carb's and Cal's which is a carb calculator and helps you with your carbs intake and what you are eating and drinking and then you put in your reading from your meter and then your insulin intake and that way you can reduce your carb intake and keep an eye on everything else but that you have to pay for and it's around five quid but you can get it on Android and iOS app store