What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

MoroFenrir

Just a bit of fun really....What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

And what caused it?

My partner has just been diagnosed T2, so we're in the 'test before and after every meal' stage, to see what does and doesn't spike her.

So far we attempted a sandwich from Greggs (Bad idea, but she's not coping well with the change) and it spiked her a wopping 7 points!

She went from Pre-meal 7.0 to 13.9 !

So what's the biggest spike you've had ? And what caused it.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walked downtown, ate a KFC, walked home to 18.

I have seen numbers around 22/25 but this was straight after diagnosis.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow ! What was your glucose before that, do you know?

November 2017 my first HbA1c was 122. I discovered mySugr and started using it 1st April. 6th April it estimated my Hba1C to be around 36/37 and my HbA1c in May was 35. I was a very happy bunny.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was also bread - just one slice of toast took me from 5.0 to 9.2. That was my 2nd day after diagnosis and no bread consumed since. Thankfully, and luckily not seen a 9 since!

Reactions: rhubarb73

DaveXF

And what caused it?

My partner has just been diagnosed T2, so we're in the 'test before and after every meal' stage, to see what does and doesn't spike her.

So far we attempted a sandwich from Greggs (Bad idea, but she's not coping well with the change) and it spiked her a wopping 7 points!

I've had a lovely 21...but suspect I hammered that when I was enjoying wholesome cider and not checking my bloods.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
8.5 Three years post diagnosis, from doing a 5day water only fast and HIIT.
Lesson learnt my catecholamines and my liver have a binding 'shoot on sight' agreement.:nailbiting:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my biggest known spike must be my initial measured blood glucose of 17 mmol... but it must have been much higher other times close to this date where I had my diagnosis, I ate a lot of pizzas then and toffee like a whole kg some days then... where this was on sale in my local supermarket, since then a spike of 11.5 mmol was the highest I have measured.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, when I was (mis)diagnosed with T2 in 2009, my blood levels were 31mmols the second time I was finger tested. The first was 29.7!
But I have no pre meal reading, I ate porridge and water for my healthy breakfast.
I would surmise correctly that my blood glucose levels were abnormally high because of the amount of circulating insulin in my body and insulin resistance. It would probably have been in the lower to high twenties over that particular weekend when the symptoms raged.
Okay, from an eOGTT test, my fasting blood glucose levels were 4.2, after Half an hour, it quickly rose to 11.7, then by the hour mark it was 13.2!
From my own testing, I had a potato about 6 ounces in weight, and from pre meal reading at 4.6, I was 10.6 at 30 minutes, then 14.8 at an hour.
Potatoes are the worst for me from fasting levels, having a lactose, wheat, grain and starchy vegetables intolerance, which really effects my blood glucose levels.
I'd hate to think what would happen if I had continued to eat healthy foods!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have no idea as I had diabetes for some while before testing on a regular basis or even testing at all for that matter but the highest I have recorded was about 14.5 in the recent past.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was a horrible spike of 8mmol/l from 5.6 to 13.6 an hour after eating a fresh plum one afternoon. The birds got the rest of the punnet. This wasn't long after diagnosis. Strangely enough those figures were very similar to a home OGTT I did last year - at an hour into the test.

Reactions: JohnEGreen
D

Deleted member 308541

I had a 14.1 after eating half a bag of oven chips (500 grams), that was the last time eat chips so went out with a bang.

Enjoyed every chippy morsel. :D

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 11.4 after some TGI Friday’s chicken wings. I was very suspicious of the ‘glaze’ but there was literally nothing else to chose from apart from a side salad which I had with them. Won’t he going back there as a huge menu but rubbish for DM :(

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Urm...21.

Two hours after three bowls of Special K. Had without milk because I knew milk spiked me ;)

I don’t remember what I started from but it wasn’t astronomically high - maybe 7 or 8.

I tested like three times and washed hands in between because I’d never seen my meter go that high. I can’t believe my epitaph might read Overdose of Special K. What a truly embarrassing way to go.

I don’t even especially like Special K.

Last edited:

LornaFarrell

Over 30. I’ve also had one so high the monitor wouldn’t give a number, but that was the day after I was diagnosed (Type 1).

Ru1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My highest was over 30. I was taking some injections to cause menopause. I was unable to get below 9 in the 3 months I was taking it. Hence the reason my hba1c was 88 (10.2%). Thankfully it has now gone back to normal.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not counting the 16-ish range I was in when I was first diagnosed.

It was last week. Shot up from a 5.2 to a 9.1 then down to 3.2, all within a few hours. No idea what caused it. It all happened when I hadn't had anything to eat for about 15 hours.

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.

And what caused it?

11, 2 hours after eating half a fruit scone, it was quite a large one...

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
Mine was 11.4 after some TGI Friday’s chicken wings. I was very suspicious of the ‘glaze’ but there was literally nothing else to chose from apart from a side salad which I had with them. Won’t he going back there as a huge menu but rubbish for DM :(

Omg that’s so annoying, why are all the glazing/sauces laced with sugar. My pet hates is now coffee shops, take Costa, love their coffee, but the only food they sell is very high carb or full of sugar, even the nuts are caramelise! No wondered the country is facing an obesity crisis...

Reactions: Flora123